navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Oh Come On, Nancy!
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Oh Come On, Nancy! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA

0 posted 2007-02-01 06:39 PM

Nancy Pelosi want to keep the perks of her predecessor; e.g., to use military aircraft for her travel.  Well, I don't see anything wrong with that.  I don't even mind it if her immediate family members ride along with her.  After all, she is third in line for the presidency.  

What I do mind is extended family's use of military aircraft and her suggestion that the California delegation would also have access to it.

Come on, Nancy, get off it.  Set the right example.  

© Copyright 2007 J.A.A.Powell - All Rights Reserved
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
1 posted 2007-02-01 09:34 PM

And you’re surprised?

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
2 posted 2007-02-01 09:44 PM

This is interesting.

Does she want access to the open spots on military aircraft -- a privilege given to most service men, no?

Or does she want to charter the craft?

I don't see any problems with the former and I'm not sure how she can get away with the latter.

It is expensive to fly back and forth, you know.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
3 posted 2007-02-01 09:55 PM

Huan Yi, actually, I was a bit surprised.  Like I said, it is entirely appropriate that in these times of "war," the third in line should be protected from any risk of harm and that would include her family, just like it does the President and VP.  It's the delegation and extended family that I question.  My daughter came up with something interesting....she said, maybe she wants the delegation to have its use so that she does not come across as being haughty or exclusionary.  It would save taxpayer money if they all travel together, I guess, or would it?  I mean, they have to travel and their travel is paid for by us anyway.  

Brad, I don't think this displaces military people, but I'm not really sure.  The Speaker of House has had this benefit in the past...she just wants to expand it.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2007-02-01 11:08 PM

And you learn something new everyday.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2007-02-02 09:53 AM

Who could find these kinds of things surprising from her? Just look at her shennanigansin her first month in office, from her nominations to her trying to sneak  her large supporters in under the radar to exempt them from the minimum wage increases.

Ms. Pelosi is not only not draining the swamp, she is taking daily beauty baths in it.

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
6 posted 2007-02-02 01:21 PM

has anyone ever flown stand by? Brad, I'm guessing you have...it's not exactly a pleasure flight...I don't see the harm in her family flying that way...but they should be put in line behind military members. At least I think so. Unless her family is serving our country, they can be last.
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
7 posted 2007-02-02 03:42 PM

Agreed, SEA.  Thanks for commenting.  
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2007-02-02 06:26 PM

I agree with your comment, Iliana, about setting the right example. Too often politicians (from both sides of the fence) don't do that. Check out the types of vehicles the loudest voices concerning energy conservation drive. Gore was famous for leaving the plane running while he did such important things like getting haircuts. They talk a good game but don't practice what they preach to us. Perhaps that goes along with having the power to pass laws on things they are exempt from, like social security and health care. Pelosi has the opportunity right now to show that either she has the desire to walk the walk or just talk the talk. So far it seems she is squandering the opportunity to show the American people her sincerity.
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
9 posted 2007-02-02 08:00 PM

Thanks for your comment, Mike.  We'll have to watch.  I will give her credit for visiting Iraq recently.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (02-03-2007 12:43 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Oh Come On, Nancy!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary