navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The Secret Life Of Maf54
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Secret Life Of Maf54 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2006-09-29 10:21 PM

MSNBC: September 29, 2006

Today, Representative Mark Foley, a Republican who represented Florida's 16th Congressional District, resigned from Congress today following the surfacing of a leaked e-mail correspondence he had with an anonymous boy, who recently e-mailed an associate of Louisiana Republican Rodney Alexander saying that his e-mails "freaked me out" and after requesting a photo, the boy said "sick" 13 times.

ABC News: Transcript Of Mark Foley AIM Dialogue I

ABC News: Transcript Of Mark Foley AIM Dialogue II

Above are links to a couple full transcripts of AIM conversations which Matt Foley communicated to the boy published by ABC News. I must warn you in advance that the above is mature content, and advise those of you who are sensitive to sexual suggestive dialogue not to read it.

What's especially startling about this scandal is that Foley was the chairman of the Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus, who HIMSELF had introduced legislation in July to protect children from adult exploitation on the Internet, and also sponsored a series of legislation to protect minors from various forms of abuse.

Normally I'm not one who agrees or likes personal issues being raised in political campaigns and such, but this is certainly one of those exceptional cases that I find incredibly serious and it is behavior like this that denigrates and undermines the values and moral fabric of our great nation.

Personally I think, for a start in seeking penitence for his wrongs, he should donate his entire campaign war chest to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Is it any wonder why a vast majority of the American public has a strong disapproving view of our Congress? First we get the Jack Abramoff scandal, then the Duke Cunningham scandal, then the William Jefferson scandal, and now this among a soiled cornucopia of other sour gaffes.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

© Copyright 2006 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2006-09-29 10:37 PM

I agree, Noah. Congress has been rife with many such scandals over the years, as has even the White House.

No wonder, indeed...

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2006-09-29 11:15 PM

It really is sad, as though it would be falsified to say that scandal is anything new to politics, previous decades we've had used to be notably more innocent in comparison, where many young people used to look up to the White House and Congress and our leaders in general in helping to maintain and preserve the values which we hold dear, even if we may disagree accordingly.

In 1994 and now in 2006, these are two years which there has been a seemingly unprecedented volume of distrust and contempt of Congress, and understandably so, and it's behavior just like this that's only further going to cynicize future generations and make them feel as though if people like Foley on one side of the aisle and Jefferson on the other side of the aisle can stoop to these lows, why can't they because, after all, they were elected claiming that they'd preserve the values and decency of our land which we've cherished for generations.

I think we've gotten to the point where most Americans don't care who takes over Foley's seat, whether it's a Republican or a Democrat, as both parties are tarred and feathered with this virulent strain of corruption, and deficit of morality.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2006-09-29 11:26 PM

Sheesh. If someone is gay but keeps it private and it's between consenting ADULTS, who cares? Not me, any more than when its between consenting heterosexual ADULTS. But Foley was clearly out of control, knowingly hustling underaged boys, while at the same time pretending to be a national leader protecting our youth.   
Personally, he should lose more than his fancy political title. What he did is illegal and criminal, by his own publicly professed standards.  

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
4 posted 2006-09-30 02:54 AM

This just makes me sick, Noah.  I totally agree with your assessment.  He should go to jail.
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2006-10-03 08:08 PM

CNN: October 3, 2006

It appears that Foley's attorney has come out saying that when Foley was a minor, he himself was molested by a clergyman, and also appearently asked his attorney to tell the public that he is homosexual, after months of earlier rumors regarding whether he was or not.

I sympathize with any child who is abused and molested in any way, and if anything these revelations bolden the point that if ANYONE finds out about anything that suggests a child is being abused, that person should have a duty to stop it, and it is heartbreaking that first Foley is abused, then his life is scarred forever, and then Foley becomes the predator himself, which in result ruins the lives of other children forever like his.

This is a problem that goes well beyond politics; it's common sense that the will of children should never be abused, and when such injustice happens, there must not be silence, and it must be stopped and never tolerated. And this tragic crime underlines that point sharply.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2006-10-03 08:24 PM

West New York Media: October 3, 2006 (Includes Video Footage Of Press Conference)

There's another thing that really startled me today related to this developing scandal story, and this regards a press conference that the third-ranking Republican in the House, Tom Reynolds, carried out today at a daycare facility, surrounded by small children as he was answering questions.

Is it just me, or does anyone else here find that rather disturbing? It strikes me as though he purposedly held the press conference there so that he could shield himself from more serious, mature questions, as though literally using the children as a defensive mechanism from the reporters. It's absolutely shameful to me.

But aside from the more personal critiques, this press conference is also so incredibly bizarre in a political sense as well. I mean, what was he hoping to accomplish from the conference; remind the American public about people like that 16-year old page being hurt by Foley and possibly some GOP leadership's misconduct?

The whole thing is absolutely incredible on all levels.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2006-10-03 11:29 PM

It's interesting what you find shameful to you, Noah, with all due respect. Foley's actions are certainly despicable...no one denies that. Know what I find  despicable, along with that? Comments like that 16-year old page being hurt by Foley and possibly some GOP leadership's misconduct? I find it shameful that Democrats would use this to attack the entire Republican party in the hopes they can gain an advantage in the upcoming elections. Democrats now want Speakere Hastert to step down, some saying because he must  have known about Foley and others saying that,  even if he didn't know, he should have. They are going to throw as much cow dung  against the wall as they can, hoping some sticks - a typical liberal  ploy. Even you, Noah, have to throw in "GOP leadership's misconduct". The urge must be  to strong  to ignore.

I'm interested, Noah and the Democratic party, where that scream of SHAME! was with slick Willie. Were you writing about the shame on Bill when he was accused of rape by one woman, excessive fondling of others, using his position of taking advantage of an intern? Where was the claim of shame when 29 women  eventually came forward to allege sexual abuse and assaults against Bob Packwood? I didn't see it come from you, neither did I see it come from any member of the Democratic party. Oh, yes. This is different. This is sending sexual e-mails to minors as opposed to a fifty year old man having  oral non-sex with a 19 year old intern. Very different.

Want to know what is similar? In all the cases, it was the fault of the individual....be it Clinton, Packwood or Foley. To try to use it as a partisan weapon to go after others is where the real shame is, in my opinion. If you want to think conspiracy, then wonder how this bit of information just happened to get leaked to the press just before the elections. Think the Republicans did that? Think the Democrats just happened to stumble on this info right before election time...or did somebody sit on it and allow it to continue so that thay could release it at a most advantageous time? There's a  conspiracy for you to consider if you care to....but I doubt you will.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
8 posted 2006-10-04 12:55 PM

Mike, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it weren't in retaliation for the passage of the War Crimes Bill as that was winning the "fear" factor vote for the upcoming election.  Or, who knows, maybe a few votes were traded for the go-ahead to make Foley's problem public (him being made the sacrifical pawn)?  Maybe, it was made public by the boy or his parents -- does anyone know?  Or, maybe it was divine intervention for the the Democratic Party.     Then, again, could it be that the powers to be want their telcom (internet) bill passed badly enough to sacrifice one of their own?    http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/08/1352255
http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/News/09152005_staff_disc.pdf  If this bill passes, it means that websites like this one, along with any of our own individual websites, will carry a price tag rendering the federal government a very, very large new revenue stream; not to mention the probable elimination of public broadcasting, as well as requirements by internet service providers to give the national government detailed lists with everybody's names, social security numbers, addresses, phone numbers, and whatever personal information they have on their customers.  The games in DC....who knows?  

Oh, and by the way, being I had a teenage daughter at the time of "Willy's" scandal....I was appauled (I would have been anyway).  Things like this always come back to the question of whether it was legal or not.  In Clinton's case, that was the question and the answer was that she was of age, leaving the only question as to whether he abused his presidential powers, including 'lying' under oath (bringing into question what defines as sexual relations and the phrasing of his response -- slick, yes).  In the Foley case, however, the boy is not an adult and it is a predatory crime against a minor, the very thing he's spoke against...making him not only a criminal, but a hypocrit and untrustworthy...the very picture Democrats would like to portray (albeit another rendition of the fear factor) about their opposition this upcoming election; e.g., they say one thing, and do the opposite.  The two cases cannot be compared as to the legalities; only as to morals.  

It doesn't surprise me at all that the Democrats will jump all over this because this man was well up in the party that stood on family values.  It's juicy.  Nor does it suprise me that Foley and his party are attempting to mitigate the crime by indicating he was molested as a child and was an alcoholic...not to mention, he now claims to be gay.  Nor will it surprise me if the Republicans use this example to help get their telecom bill passed, thus, giving the federal government complete control over the internet, and a new stream of revenue for both the government and big business (that bill, in its present state disturbs me greatly because it will put a crunch on small business and the middle class.  I will concede we need something to deter and prevent child preditors and to prevent our own children from becoming involved in online situations; but that should be a parental duty more than anything else.  Additionally, we all know the internet is monitoried and I do not believe that is the real intent of this bill (even though the promotion will be national security and prevention of crimes against children).  And, that's politics.     

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
9 posted 2006-10-04 01:33 AM

hmm..

Noah be careful not to generalize the actions of one person to a group of poeple its socailly incorrect.( You kinda implied it by language..adjetives, verbs,ext..) You need to becareful not to let your language open you up fopr attacks( I know you didn't meen it)Was what that congressman do Wrong? YES.  Is it ilegal? I am not sure if he asked for sex or not. I am not going to debate it either.

-Juju

-<>-~-<>-~-<>-  
*    Juju     *
-<>-~-<>-~-<>-

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
10 posted 2006-10-04 01:38 AM

Juju....it has become a social, rather sociopolitical, thing and I think at this point, Noah might be safe to generalize (although I understand your point).  It's election time, after all.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (10-04-2006 03:50 AM).]

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
11 posted 2006-10-04 01:44 AM

Well I understand that exactly.  But I was concerned about the language. It is a very hard thing to make a statement sometimes when you have other similliar thought going on in your head.  

-<>-~-<>-~-<>-  
*    Juju     *
-<>-~-<>-~-<>-

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
12 posted 2006-10-04 01:49 AM

Juju...don't feel alone, I have too many thoughts going on at the same time, too, sometimes.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (10-04-2006 02:27 AM).]

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
13 posted 2006-10-04 02:02 AM

Juju, it does appear that this is a punishable crime.  Of course, since he, to date, has not been declared a legal or illegal enemy of the state, he will be entitled to a fair trial by a jury of his peers (*naughty grin*).  He will be entitled to legal representation and he will be allowed to gather evidence regarding his alleged crime -- unless he pleas out.  FYI (what are internet crimes against minors) --  http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/publications/bulletins/internet_2_2001/internet_2_01_5.ht    ml and
http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/police/commdecencyact.htm

[This message has been edited by iliana (10-04-2006 04:06 AM).]

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
14 posted 2006-10-04 02:39 AM

I believe I was quite careful in my choice of adjectives and other words in my previous response.

If you look closely, I said, "possibly some GOP leadership's misconduct", and I also only mentioned one specific name, Tom Reynolds, and didn't suggest that he complicity backed Foley's actions, but merely found it disturbing how he had a press conference in response to it in a day care center.

This is an emerging scandal, and I don't desire rushing to conclusions and going on the offensive against GOP members under question like Dennis Hastert and John Boehner. But I will add that from what I'm read there's a lot of conflicting reports on who said what when and who knew and how they responded, and that understandably raises a lot of suspicion.

WorldNetDaily: Jonah Goldberg: Between The Lines: October 2, 2006

Conservatives are just as outraged over this from what I've been hearing. Jonah Goldberg, the founder, editor and CEO of the right-wing news site WorldNetDaily, wrote a daily commentary yesterday rushing to bash the GOP entirely, which in comparison to his editorial, I can hardly see where my words came out forcefully.

As I also previously mentioned in the first comment of this thread, I believe both parties are "tarred and feathered with this virulent strain of corruption, and deficit of morality" What Barney Frank has done is also immoral, as is what both Democrat Gerry Studd and Republican Jim Crane did in 1983.

I don't want the Democrats to make political hay of this, as this is a personal and emotional issue that Foley and whoever else knew about the situation need to solve themselves. And one Minnesota representative, unfortunately, is already releasing an ad tied to Foley.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
15 posted 2006-10-04 02:56 PM

Thank you, Iliana, for that link. I confess I knew little about this bill, as do probably many Americans. Judging by the way it is presented in that report I would be against it completely and I think it would be a travesty to have it passed. It doesn't matter to me if a  Republican sponsors it or not. I think it's a bad bill.
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
16 posted 2006-10-04 03:12 PM

Glad to be of service, Mike.  It is our duty to know what is going on and I am just waking up to that myself.  
Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
17 posted 2006-10-04 04:34 PM

Noah, I wasn't attacking you.  I know you didn't mean it that way. Everyone does it on occasion.

So it is a crime, I wasn't sure what exactly he did and I wasn't to interested in reading the email.  The thought turns my stomach.  Well -IF- he gets tried I hope it is in a nice none blue collar prison..

-Juju

-<>-~-<>-~-<>-  
*    Juju     *
-<>-~-<>-~-<>-

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The Secret Life Of Maf54

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary