navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Alcoholics are---
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Alcoholics are--- Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2006-08-03 04:35 PM

________________.

Fill in the blank, and stay in the guidelines please. (If that vexes you--break out a thesaurus. )

It occurs to me, however, that the sentence could be completed without filling in the blank.

Alcoholics are.

It's been my experience though, that substance abusers feel horribly compelled to fill in the blanks...

(and bro? I wasn't sure where to put this, so if it doesn't suit the alley, do what you need to do.)

© Copyright 2006 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-08-03 04:40 PM

Just have to agree with line 3.

Says it all.

Brevity is not something alcholics are known for...

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2006-08-03 07:35 PM

..People

Brian James
since 2005-06-26
Posts 147
Winnipeg
3 posted 2006-08-03 08:27 PM

Alcoholics are, above all, accountable for their actions.

"To me, the thing that art does for life is to clean it, to strip it to form."
~Robert Frost

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2006-08-03 08:29 PM

Very much so, Brian.  
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2006-08-03 09:07 PM

....in the throes of an illness.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
6 posted 2006-08-03 09:25 PM

sad.
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
7 posted 2006-08-04 02:16 AM

Grinch said it best.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
8 posted 2006-08-04 03:01 AM

Alcoholics are weak.

Yes, they're people, but alcoholism is not a real illness, disease, or any other sentence that implies "oh, it's not my fault." It's self-afflicted poisoning, and completely their own fault.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
9 posted 2006-08-04 04:11 AM

Alcoholics are usually sensitive people.

who do not know how to solve small problems or disapointments, so turn them into a large crisis (in their minds) and drown them in alcohol only to find them pop up again and again and then to try again and again to drown them.   martyjo

I think they may also carry a predisposition to drepression.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2006-08-04 06:30 AM

kif kif?

I have been waiting for you dear.

There are a lot of gray areas in your black and white summation/assessment of what is debatedly both disease, and inclination.

There are a rare few born with the disease of alcoholism.

Alcoholism truly is a disease, generally liver related, which is noted by a marked physical inability to metabolize alcohol.

Alcohol dependancy leads to that disease, as well as other chemical abuses which also markedly deteriorate the function of the liver.

Count your parts lovie.

The gallbladder, the appendix, the spleen, all of which are part of this remarkable filtration system of your blood--you should talk sweet to them and praise their function as ye would the gods, because I promise you, if one part fails, it stresses the entire circulatory system. (look up renal failure--that's usually how it happens) And what appears as a weakness or lack of character becomes a physical manifestation of pollutants, and your very organs begin to rebel as they are no longer operating to full capacity because they lack proper oxygenation.

Alcoholics are....dying.

But then, ain't we all?

And I waited this long for you to show up just to tell you what alcoholics aren't--

they ain't dumb, sweetie. And weakness is a matter of perspective--a lesson life will teach you soon enough.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
11 posted 2006-08-04 10:05 AM

Karen....Not sure how long ago this meant groovy, but..you're the bomb!
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
12 posted 2006-08-04 12:45 PM

Oh, I know you were! I wanted to write more, but I did try to contain myself within one statement.

Not all alcoholics are born with an "allergy" to alcohol. Over-using any substance leads to intolerance.

Anyway, if someone is intolerant to something, the 'groovy' thing to do would be to avoid it, surely?

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
13 posted 2006-08-04 02:29 PM

KifKif~
There's a big hole in your assumptive theory~
Please do your homework ... then come back and tell us what you 'know' ...
not what you 'feel'~

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
14 posted 2006-08-05 11:43 AM

Where's the hole, Marge? Oh, that one dug by my 1st partner, stealing bottles of Jack Daniels from the local supermarket, then prodding and shouting to keep me awake all night, even when I was heavily pregnant. Or, that time up against the wall with a knife at my throat when my kid was 3 days old...I left soon after, but I've had a further 10 years of aggravation, fear, and having to explain to his son why his dad is sometimes so nasty.

I could tell you that his mother was too controlling, his father was an alcoholic, and his brother and sister were too successful to match, but at the end of the day, it's his weakness that keeps him where he is, looking older than ever...and the fact that his 80 year old mother still takes care of him, financially-another sign of weakness-he's never left her.

I was kicked out by my mum when I was 15, and I lived in hostels on £17.50 a week. Most of that went on hashish. I didn't have the best start in the world, but I realise I didn't have the worst start, either. I was always looking for 'a window of opportunity', but that window wasn't to *ripping someone else off, I learned to exchange my skills for things I needed...I started working as a live in housekeeper. By the time I'd met 'him', I was completely self-sufficient...ooh, I wonder why he was attracted to me? Anyway, enough about me, I just wanted to get personal so you might see where I'm coming from, and understand my intolerance to alcoholics. I've been tolerant, and it ruined my life for a while, and it is still affecting my son's life.

*a tactic usually employed by the alcoholic.

I'll repeat, not everybody that's an alcoholic is naturally allergic. Call it a social disease if you want, but it's not an illness, just like being obese, most people don't have a medical condition to start with , (is low self-esteem a medical condition?) it's self-inflicted. Incidentally, my dad used to say he was allergic to whiskey, but I think that was an excuse to get over being locked up for assault on a police officer.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2006-08-05 12:36 PM

"Call it a social disease if you want, but it's not an illness, just like being obese, most people don't have a medical condition to start with , (is low self-esteem a medical condition?) it's self-inflicted."

You just managed to offend me twice in one sentence. You want stories, kif kif, I got 'em.

My sister was found dead last Easter. Alchohol poisoning. She had gone on quite a bender after my brother died of morid obesity and emphysema. Throw smoking in there too, as we all lost our way after losing my father to lung cancer.

A self inflicted weakness--oh if this were a postcard I would say "Wish you were here."

With Love from Post Katrina New Orleans

weakness? It hasn't stopped, m'friend. The City that Care Forgot is losing a lot of people still...lotsa folks who were accustomed to controlling their emotions via food and drink are white knuckled even now as we continue to bury our "weaker" brethren who couldn't cope with having lost everything in the world. I lost count of the overdoses before the storm--it's just now they all smell with the suspicion of suicide.

I'd advise you to get some therapy. I tried m'self, just last week.

There are only auditorium seats available. AUDITORIUM THERAPY, kif kif. Drink THAT one in awhile.

Now as bad our stories are combined--there are worse out there. Go to an AA meeting, or better yet, NA. You'll hear all the stories you can stomach.

Then go to Al Anon sweetie. They can help you yanno.

You may not realize it, but you may be at risk. It's insidious, m'friend. So be cautious of that you don't understand.

It's usually what you don't understand that bites ya in the butt.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
16 posted 2006-08-05 12:56 PM

I'm sorry that this conversation has triggered rememberence of your family's horrific experiences. I can only imagine what you are all going through, and I certainly don't want to disrespect yours, or anyone's life. My argument should not be personal, perhaps my conversational style implies otherwise, I'll try to fix that, after I've said this...

Instead of feeling sorry for myself, it's my philosophy to 'get a grip', when possible. Yes, life, even in our western world is fraught with danger, but we've got to apply our minds to tackling these "social diseases." There are whole tribes addicted to alcohol all over the world, being feed a legal, self administering depressant (to keep them down, therefore easier for the government/multi-national companes to control). Beer houses weren't built alongside the first factories for no reason...keep 'em senseless. Here, in the west, we have more choices now, no matter how terrible our experiences, there's always room to choose. If not, then you can't call yourself an adult, it's a child that's led with no choice. Of course, now I'll have to widen onto the subject, (or continue your suggestion) of a patriarchal Government. Are our freedoms confined to The State, or can we style our own way of living within a State pushing Budweiser and MacDonald's, to our health and benefit? I'll go with the latter...I can't stomach bad food.

I'm sorry if I offended you, it isn't my intention...but if I don't tell you exactly what I think, you can't exactly reply.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

17 posted 2006-08-05 03:14 PM

It's okay kif kif.

I have done the same myself yanno.

As Uriah puts it, "it's all gravy."

And I'm shaking my head and grinnin' because I have been called many things, but I am hard pressed to remember being called "weak."

A stubborn coon ass? Sure.

*peace*

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
18 posted 2006-08-05 04:25 PM

Alcoholics are sick individuals, who need someone to love them and let them know there is help. We may not always get through to them, but at least we know that we were there, all they had to do was accept our help.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2006-08-05 10:55 PM

I have one more story, and I truly hope it is taken in the spirit of understanding, as that is the spirit of the offering.

My life has changed considerably in one year's time, and part of that change has been the inclusion of my Mother In Law as part of my immediate family.

Her home was one block off the lake, and it's pretty much gone. So she is living in our livingroom, with our blessings and thanksgiving too.

She is "company oriented" and I am a solitary sort of creature, so there has been some adjustments to be made.

Let me introduce you to "Bettie"--she is, um, maybe five feet tall, and less than 130 lbs. She came to us with a broken hip, and quite frail. Now, if you choose to armwrestle her under most circumstance, you could call her "weak".

But I have witnessed this phenomenon, and I tell you, that if you dare to stand between her and a carton of Shrimp Fried Rice, you could have to have the strength of a linebacker to keep her from it, but I would put my money on Bettie. Nod. Yer gonna go down.

I have watched her nudge and push to the front of many of a buffet line, and at first glance, you might judge her as crude, rude, or even worse.

Perhaps you might even put it down to a physical problem of being very hungry, compounded by diabetes. That would be true.

You might just shrug and say, "What a very rude old woman." And nod, by her actions, that would be equally true.

But if you took the time to talk to her, and I do mean a few months--you would learn that when she was a child, her father died, and her mother was forced to go to work. This was a time when if you had no supporting extended family, daycare for working mothers was nil.

So her mother dropped her off at St. Ann's oprhanage--every single day. Every single day, this child had no idea if her mother was returning for her. In fact, she was there so often someone actually tried to adopt her!

Now, I know she doesn't know why she turns into Kyle Turley in a buffet line--but I understand that it is a combination of being very hungry (she is diabetic) and a fear of not getting her fair share of food.

And yanno? Any other time of day, she is gentle and sweet and understanding, but if you want to keep her from her Chinese Food, you'd best go into training.

That's what I meant by perspective, lovie.

Sometimes the truth is a combo.

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
20 posted 2006-08-06 04:02 AM

somebody's possible project
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
21 posted 2006-08-06 05:00 AM

Your mother in law would fit right at home here in Barcelona. The old people experienced the civil war, saw their men-folk dragged onto the street and shot, had to speak Spanish instead of Catalan, and the richest of families were reduced to eating rats. An effect of that has been what looks like rudeness...the old people went through so much, why should they stand in line? Yet, there's also a tolerance here for the young people's antics. The older generation allow squatters to live alongside them, join in on marches, and smile sweetly as the youth daub slogans over MacDonald's windows.

My point is, you can convert horrible experiences into good ones (you'll know that Serenity-I can only imagine how you're all coping after such disaster, yet I can see from your above post that you care a lot for your Mother In Law-having her, no doubt, throws up positives). Plus, your mother in law will probably battle with her experiences forever, but I bet some positive things she's done herself were influenced by her experiences.  

Inot; you say alcoholics just need to know that someone's there that loves them. That's a sweeping statement that all to often is abused by the alcohol abuser. My story. It's the people closest to the alcoholic that take the brunt...because as a weak individual, the alcoholic attacks those who are not likely to attack him back...until he (mostly unconciously) decides on the death-drive, then the alcoholic will annoy people likely to hurt him. It's like a kind of inverted suicide. Being weak, he doesn't want to kill himself, he'd rather someone else did it for him, so he 'remains' blameless. Back to "oh, it's not my fault."

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
22 posted 2006-08-06 10:45 PM

kif kif, I lived most of my childhood around and with alcoholics.  They didn't beat up on their loved ones, they just drank till in a drunken stupor.  Yet everyday they went to work and paid the bills took care of their family. Then death took them early in life.
Sometimes when an alcoholic is faced with a life changing experience, it will either put them deeper into alcoholicism or they pull theirself up by their bootstraps and if they have someone who cares and loves them, they will fight the disease and break away from it.  Never will I allow an alcholic pull me down to their level, but I will offer a hand and help pull them out.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
23 posted 2006-08-07 12:08 PM

are...entitled to the same rights as anyone else.

are...someone's child.

are...out of control.

are...unfortunately affecting everyone they are around.

are...hurting themselves more than anyone else.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
24 posted 2006-08-07 01:58 AM

"Alcoholics" (people) aren't the problem.  Alcohol is.
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
25 posted 2006-08-07 03:57 AM

Inot, I understand that everybody handles things 'differently', but that doesn't negate the fact that the biggest percentage of people admitted to A&E at the weekends are there because of alcohol. Abuse of alcohol leads to brain changes...mostly fuddled, and nasty. You talk of survival, after the alcoholic.

Essorant, alcohol didn't jump out and hit me, he did. Like I've said, life is fraught with dangerous substances. As an adult, I take responsibility for avoiding them.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
26 posted 2006-08-07 10:24 AM

You give much more to being an adult than what is ever going to happen.  There is never going to be an allresponsible population, nor even individual for that matter.  Adults are no different than children on a more complex level.  We rightly don't allow children alcoholic beverages no matter how responsable and wellbehaved they seem,  or cigarettes, or marijuana.  We defend them against such healthwounding substances, and the more absent and restricted the substances that harm health are from every household and community the more absent the wound that come with them are as well.  Adults were a lot better if they treated themselves more like children, because they deserve just as much of health and protection as our children.

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
27 posted 2006-08-07 01:38 PM

Sometimes

An alchoholic......stays outside drinking all day long...in front of my parents house.

An alchoholic.....drinks until he is sick every day.

An alchoholic...was once a very devoted and faithful ordained minister, now preaches and quotes scripture while under the influence.

An alchoholic.....only works when he runs out of money, though he has a degree in Electrical Engineering, as well as his electricians license for many years.

An Alchoholic....... yells obscenities to the top of his lungs...out in the yard, in his truck, or wherever he gets ready to.

An Alchoholic.....hears voices and carries on conversations with them.

An Alchoholic.....his personality completely changes from what it was.

An Alchoholic.....has lost his wife, through divorce, of almost 35 years and his 3 children don't have much to do with him.

An Alchoholic......thinks someone is watching him all the time...even in space.

An Alchoholic.....refuses to get help....says he doesn't need it.

An Alchoholic.......is my only sibling....my brother...and I love him and want to help him, but he refuses it.

Ethel

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
28 posted 2006-08-07 09:44 PM

Ethel Mae?

C'mere...

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
29 posted 2006-08-08 04:42 AM

Ethel, that was a very succinct and matter of fact post. I can see that written on a wall.

Essorant, what you're saying is thoughtful, too, but as adults, our idea of freedom means self-autonomy. I believe alcohol should not be available, but there are others who see it as a substance within their rights to use.

Treating people like children will keep them like children...who will decide what 'good' choices are for them? At some point, the reality of good and bad choices have to be met through self-responsibility, or else we won't survive as individuals.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
30 posted 2006-08-08 09:40 PM

Alcoholics are who I have learned the most of lifes lessons from.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
31 posted 2006-08-09 11:39 PM

Oh, Karen, my Karen. I have been camping most of the summer and am only home for a day or two. I had to find a post by you. No matter what the subject or form might be, I had to bask in the incredible light from your  heart, mind and soul. I am honoured to know you witchyone.

Oh, and as for alcoholics ...
they are  afraid.
  Of what you ask? Better to question what aren't they fearful of.

Love Ya!!
Chrislane

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
32 posted 2006-08-10 02:25 AM

My dad was an alcoholic. Growing up with it was hard you know. I do believe that it is a disease and is hereditary; that's why I'll never touch it. I already suffered enough from booze and I wasn't even the one drinking it.

All of my horror stories wouldn't be able to hold a candlestick against kif kif's or serenity's pains. I was more affected mentally and I'm still recovering by the grace of God (slowly).

Anybody who is an alcoholic has my deepest sympathy because I've seen what it does.

So what do I think?

Alcoholics are thirsty, they're just drinking the wrong stuff.

[Insert quote of wisdom here]

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
33 posted 2006-08-10 09:35 AM

I feel stuck in the middle. It frustrates me when, as a nurse, I see the same patients back over and over again for the same thing- the people with lung disease who broke down and bought a pack of cigarettes, which bought them an ambulance ride... the drinkers who return, drunk, the the ER time an again because... wait for it... their stomachs hurt... the drug-seekers who are "allergic" to every pain medication besides their drug of choice.

Incidentally, my family is full of these people and my frustration mingles with a sad insight... an up-close understanding of addiction. Maybe it's my intrinsic personality, or the way I was trained to think... but I can't just write these people off as "weak" or worthless... especially when I know I have my own flaws (though I will say that hash was never one of them... interesting point of view to insult substance users from, by the way.)

I don't think the reason "why" is as important to me... so your childhood sucked or a social habit got out of hand... whatever. I do not judge these people. I simply look at them and I say "This habit is an obvious detriment to your health, here is where you can get help." And that's all I can do. These people have lives and families and when it gets bad enough, they'll either see the light and get help or not... I don't have the energy or time to get more involved than that.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
34 posted 2006-08-10 10:36 AM

You know what hush, it's that attitude I can't stand. My childhood did not just suck and for you to say that is just ignorant and makes me angrier than you'll know. You don't know what my childhood was like and I'm not about to explain it because frankly it's none of your business. Kif kif didn't get slammed against a wall with a knife to her throat for some nurse to just say it's a "detriment to their health" and that we shouldn't judge them.

Here's the thing, most alcoholics don't get help. My dad never got help after 2 DUI's, countless interventions, his family leaving him and God knows what else. Serenity's sister obviously didn't get help because she died. And most of the ones that do get help go back to it.

Yeah, you're right, these people do have lives and families... and they are ruining them.

XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
35 posted 2006-08-10 10:53 AM

I have noticed something that almost all alcoholics share...
Everyone telling them how much of a problem they are.
Most of them felt that way to start with and took to drinking.
Hard for a sore to heal when everyone keeps picking at it.
sheesh     Almost makes you wanna get drunk and say "Hell with it all!"
::smiles::

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
36 posted 2006-08-10 11:57 AM

it sucks for everyone involved.

it hurts for everyone involved.

it's an addiction (my opinion so don't bother trampling on it) and addictions can very well be more powerful than love.  

I choose not to live with it after doing so for 19 yrs.  Let me repeat:  19 yrs. So there isn't much I haven't experienced, or saw...or learned from alcoholism (again, my opinion, so don't bother...).  

I still hurt from what "should have been" and "could have been" but I know I did everything I could think of to make that situation better.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
37 posted 2006-08-10 12:57 PM

Alcoholics are not be changed or fixed by anyone but themselves.

Susan, I agree with you it is for sure an addiction, and right up there with cigarettes, gambling, drugs, shopping, or any other rotten habits hard to break.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

38 posted 2006-08-10 02:02 PM

And thar ya go.

That's exactly right Mysteria. It's all very individual. It's just like trying to beat yourself in game of chess, eh?

and everybody is their own opponent.

And OH I did remember the last time someone called me "weak". (laughing, kif kif? I got nuttin' to do but think over here, so forgive me) but anyhow, she called me worse than that too, she called me a "waste of a human being." I really should thank her. That ticked me off so bad that I managed to find the strength to pull a big ole monkey off my back. Sometimes we need someone to tick us off I think, like a good trainer or a coach does. Sometimes I need that extra rush of adrenaline to accomplish certain things.

Torcshlusspanic
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/torschlusspanik

and hugs to my, my chrislane, my susan and all of mah girls!

and hush, I sigh with you, because I am oddly both addict and co-dependant, and I get frustrated too:

"I just wish you would all behave!"

And extra kiss for luck to my special bro.

He knows what that is for.

And read up on some Carl Jung and the shadow, folks--because when you are battling yourself, you have found your greatest opponent.

Love to all.

hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
39 posted 2006-08-10 02:46 PM

i agree with Essorant.
there wouldn't be a problem with alcoholics if there was no alcohol.....
alcoholics drink just to get away from life; yes a weakness i suppose. but i do not agree with alcoholism, my dad was an acoholic and abused my mom in every possible way, when she did finally have the nerve to run; she was a single mom, and worked labor jobs. i know my dad really well and he still drinks... but he isn't such a bad person when you get to know him and he is a person..all alcoholics are people they are just people with out any drive to keep them going on... bad things happen to everyone... not everyone turns to alcohol... about this subject... i'm quite undecided. Nobody is perfect...

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
40 posted 2006-08-10 09:50 PM

I think Sharon has brought in the two words that we need to keep in perspective -- addiction and habits.

There are addictions that are chemical in nature -- in which case don't get between that addict and his/her fix.  No amount of wanting to get better is going to cure that kind of addiction.

There are 'habits' that are behavioural -- like PIP.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
41 posted 2006-08-11 10:56 AM

It's interesting that hush negates my opinion as invalid with the fact that I used marijuana; note past context.

Just look at the insights thrown up by people who couldn't get away, and those who broke free. Sometimes, it takes a lot to get over what we're exposed to,  but opportunities have to be there to get out.

(Edward Grim, and hunnie-girl I've a son who's 11. It's worse for him than any of the adults involved. Talk about choices, for a kid, there are none...but even those without choices can make good judgements for future strength.)

Some might say that substances can be a key to the 'quick-fix' version of unlocking the mind, exploring the vistas of hypnopompic experience for true 'relaxation', in other words, self medicating the effects of life before waking up to reality. The trouble is, too much of anything induces a coma...

ps, serenity, I didn't personally call you anything.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

42 posted 2006-08-11 02:39 PM

I know.

But I needed to figure out why your comment chafed at me the way that it did.

So it's all good, kif.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
43 posted 2006-08-13 12:12 PM

Chafing only happens when things don't fit, SerenityBlaze.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

44 posted 2006-08-13 08:43 PM

sigh

I'm not sure what you meant, but my intent was merely that when somebody says something that bothers me, I do a little self examination and try to figure out the source inside of my self.

I had a vietnamese teacher once who told me the story about sand in a glass of water. If someone comes along and stirs up your glass of water with sand in the bottom, yer gonna get a mouthful of sand should you drink from it. Now you could just guard your water and scream at people who stir up your water, OR, you can start removing the sand, grain by grain.

It's an analogy kif.

And self examination also happens to be a major part of a famous 12 step program for addiction recovery.  

Now excuse me, but I have to go iron clothes.

I really hate ironing too.

But such is life.

shrug

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
45 posted 2006-08-13 09:11 PM

If ironing is part of the 12 step program I can send you my laundry too if it will help!
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
46 posted 2006-08-14 08:04 AM

I cannot reply to you, serenityblaze, without coming across as mocking, so I'll apologise now for any ill feelings you might think I've contributed towards, and bow out.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

47 posted 2006-08-14 02:41 PM

I apologize kif kif.

It's difficult to ascertain tone through text as it is, but when I am tired, it's a 95 percent sure bet I'll take something the wrong way.

Have a hug.

time prophet
since 2003-07-30
Posts 371
In New Zealand Amongst the Ancient Trees
48 posted 2006-08-14 11:09 PM

Alcoholics are--- There, but for the grace of whichever god you may worship go us.

We all have the potential.

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
49 posted 2006-08-15 11:22 AM

Alcoholics are...like junkies: they will both break your heart and steal your wallet; however, the alcoholic might help you look for your wallet.

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
50 posted 2006-08-15 06:28 PM

"My dad was an alcoholic. Growing up with it was hard you know. I do believe that it is a disease and is hereditary; that's why I'll never touch it. I already suffered enough from booze and I wasn't even the one drinking it."

My dad as well. I didn't have the "addiction" to alcohol but I did to drugs. As I got older I realized I was just like my dad but with a different substance. I did it for myself. 15 yrs later and I haven't touched it once. I am now helping one of my friends through it. I always knew she was an alcoholic but she didn't and now that she realized that she is I am there for her all the way.

Karen- I read all of your threads in here and I am not sure whether to laugh or to cry and I find myself doing both. big hugs to you.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

51 posted 2006-08-15 06:33 PM

" I am not sure whether to laugh or to cry "

I have learned that it's possible to do both simultaneously.

and you people do touch my heart.

Thank you.

Marge Tindal
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
52 posted 2006-08-15 07:15 PM

Reflectively I have followed this thread day by day~

I now offer a small contribution -

Alcoholics are loved~
(They just aren't always aware of just how much)

Alcoholics are someone's brother, sister, father, mother, aunt, uncle, cousin, grandmother, grandfather, friend~
(They are close enough to touch ... but we often do not reach out to them)

Alcoholics are individuals with a lot of love to give~
(But they don't always know how)

Alcoholics are alcoholics~
(And most often not anonymously)

Alcoholics are heartache waiting for a place to happen~
(And most often they are breaking their own, along with those around them)

Alcoholics are people who have a predisposed disposition to consumption that they can't handle~
(They often don't know how or when they started, and don't know how to stop)

Alcoholics are manipulative because it serves their purpose~
(To be allowed to continue drinking without facing the reality of what they are doing to themselves and to those who love them)

Alcoholics are in every walk of life~
(The illness ... and it IS a documented illness ... knows no boundaries as they relate to race, color, creed or gender)

Alcoholics NEED~
(They NEED tough-love and intervention instead of enabling by the ones who love them most)

Alcoholics are reachable~
(But most often they don't realize that the helping hands are there for them)

Alcoholics are most often in denial~
(The alcohol gives them that barrier to hide behind)

Alcoholics are loved~
(Even when they are detested for the actions caused by their weakness)

Alcoholics are LOVED~
(Oh god, how they are loved)

It isn't the alcoholic that we detest ...
it is the actions that the illness produces~

Alcoholics are LOVED ... LOVED ... LOVED~

*Huglets* from this heart~
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -         noles1@totcon.com         

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
53 posted 2006-08-27 03:31 AM

torschlusspanik: Good word, but I will never remember it! LOL

I loved this whole thread. Kif kif and Serenity, your conversation depicts the minds of thinkers.. I can see both sides easily. But then, that is half my problem. I can see in too many directions. (And they say my peripheral vision has weakened!)  But it all boils down to; we all have problems and have learned to solve them in our own way. Hopefully strength comes with life. It does not seem to matter how strong we see ourselves. There is always something to come along to blow us down.

RE: Rif Rif.  Mention of indentured workers next to beer gardens. Here in Florida they have just arrested a farmer who hires day workers, pays the least he can and sells them crack, tobacco and booze at an inflated price so he is keeping them indebted to him and they are as slaves. Geesh! I thought that style of farming went out years ago! How little we all know.

Anyway, I picked up a lot of information and thoughts from this thread and I am sure others have. All the posts were helpful. And we will probably never have the answer. Love to all, martyjo  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Alcoholics are---

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary