navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Chocolate City?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Chocolate City? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2006-01-16 11:17 PM

By BRETT MARTEL, Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS - Mayor Ray Nagin suggested Monday that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and other storms were a sign that "God is mad at America" and at black communities, too, for tearing themselves apart with violence and political infighting.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin, who is black, said as he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in
Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans — the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

Comments?

© Copyright 2006 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2006-01-17 12:03 PM

There are a lot of adjectives that blend in very well with New Orleans. I wouldn't consider "chocolate" among the list I'd pull up.

Look, New Orleans (and most of the Gulf South) is populated with an African-American majority. According to the 2000 Census, African-Americans made up 67.25% of the city's population of almost 485,000. I understand that the city has long been a central cultural influence for African-Americans through music, art and activism. I absolutely believe the city must live on, especially because this is one of the most diverse, unique American cities, and that also means preserving the cultural identities that have made New Orleans stand out, much of its spirit certainly coming from its African-American community.

But I don't really agree with Nagin's tone in particular, as it strikes me as being non-inclusive and even polarizing. In fact, saying the hurricanes were a sign that "God is mad at America" reminds me very much of the nutty things Pat Robertson continues to say, and it's unsettling he's choosing to stoop to this sort of level in addressing obvious and general concerns.

Any way you look at New Orleans during and after Hurricane Katrina, it is an utmost tragedy. And though I am certainly no fan of that "race card" that some like Spike Jones have chosen to play, I absolutely understand that though people of all backgrounds and cultures were affected by Katrina, a huge number of them were both African-Americans and those living in poverty or struggling to keep above the poverty line, quite often both, and I certainly hope New Orleans can remain as closely to how it was before Katrina.

But consequentially there are many who feel they've lost everything from Katrina and feel they have nothing left to hold onto there and have chosen to move on to Baton Rouge, Mobile, parts of eastern Texas, etc. I certainly respect their decisions and believe you can't blame them for making these decisions either. And Nagin must understand that, and accept whatever happens here on out as we all continue the healing process and continue to work to bring New Orleans back together.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2006-01-17 01:09 AM

I also want to add that it was especially inappropriate for Nagin to make these comments on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, as I find Nagin's comments deharmonizing and racist, and contradictory to King's core philosophy of universal harmony regardless of race or creed.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2006-01-17 02:07 AM

New Orleans was many things, sometimes wonderful, sometimes horrible, but I had no clue that it was Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

If you can get a full frontal facial camera shot of old Ray, I believe you can catch him talking out of both sides of his mouth throughout this entire disaster.

I would laugh if I wasn't horrified.  

What the man said today was more than poor taste--it was downright irresponsible to add fuel to the fires that are smoldering here in New Orleans. He himself has used the words "Eminent Domain"--he himself has given the harder hit neighborhoods four months to come up with a "viable" program for rebuilding, and he cannot explain why, one week after that announcement, the city began a moratorium on building permits.

We watched him blunder as he encouraged the citizens of New Orleans to return to New Orleans after Katrina, with another category 5 hurricane dancing across the Gulf of Mexico. I was one of the ones who got stuck in Rita's path when he said, "um, nevermind--" and re-closed the city, turning me and my family into sitting ducks in a rice field.

I heard him assure the tourist industry in New Orleans that a carnival of some sort would have the full cooperation of the city of New Orleans.

Then at one of these "town hall" meetings on the road, he turned around and told people he'd been against it all along.

I think Mayor Nagin knows he's in trouble.

There is a very strong, very vocal, and very active group of civic minded people determined to rebuild New Orleans as a smarter, more politically savvy city. They want to keep the charm while getting rid of the things that don't work.

A Chocolate city?

Color Nagin "gone".

And my head still hurts.

I'm a little tired and there could be some anger issues too.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
4 posted 2006-01-17 04:26 AM

And where is the Reverend Al and The Reverend Jesse during all of this??? If the speaker had made the statement that NO will finally be the mecca of white America that it should be (NO, THOSE AREN'T MY THOUGHTS... simply making an example) then Al, and Jesse, and Louis, and every other liberal would be calling for that man/woman to be shot, hanged, drawn, quartered, beheaded, and burned at the stake for making such racially insensitive remarks. It would be the news story for the remainder of the year, and someone would find a way to blame the President, and call for nhim to be shot, hanged, drawn... you get the picture.

Anyways, because this is a member of the black community making racially insensitive remarks, it won't be on the news as long as this thread will be receiving posts.

Go ahead... tell me I'm wrong.

"...and as we drift along, I never fail to be astounded by the things we'll do for promises..."
Ronnie James Dio
www.impressionsintime.net

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
5 posted 2006-01-17 08:47 PM

no way are you wrong Ringo...that is exactly how I see it too. It's sad really. I found his comments to be extremely racist...
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
6 posted 2006-01-17 09:09 PM

Having done a bit of research and finding out a bit more about it, I think everyone should look into it more deeply and see what is going on.. then his comments will make even less sense.

"...and as we drift along, I never fail to be astounded by the things we'll do for promises..."
Ronnie James Dio

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2006-01-17 09:50 PM

Where are all the Democratic leaders denouncing this? Where's Teddy, who proclaimed "WHAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE SEEN IS THIS  INCREDIBLE DISPARITY IN WHICH THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAD CARS AND MONEY GOT OUT  AND THOSE PEOPLE WHO WERE
IMPOVERISHED DROWNED." - a statement that Mary Jo Kopechne would have certainly agreed to. Where's Boxer and the others who would be screaming for the electric chair if a Republican had said this? Not a peep....and you're right, Ringo. Our glorious press, who would have wrung every ounce of conservative blood out of this, will make sure it disappears very quickly.....and people can't understand why we call it the "liberal" press.

Thank you all for your comments. Serenity, I feel for you. I really do....

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2006-01-17 10:53 PM

Man I feel for her too Michael, and every other citizen in that city right now.  I also know New Orleans will be bigger, and better than ever eventually.
http://www.nola.com/forums/mayor/

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
9 posted 2006-01-18 01:39 AM

I don't recall anyone from either party making a counter-statement to Nagin yet.

I can still hardly understand your point in continuing to argue this is a "liberal press" when the press also buries the outrageous things Pat Robertson and Bill O'Reilly all the same, things quite outrageous including allowing al-Qaeda to bomb the Coit Tower in San Francisco and calling for the assassination of a Latin American president.

What Nagin said is utterly outrageous, but to use this and immediately suggest this as evidence of a slanted media is unsubstantiating.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2006-01-18 12:52 PM

OH, look, quick! There goes the other side of his mouth again!

(Mayor Nagin has apologized.)

I feel soooooooooo much better.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
11 posted 2006-01-18 01:05 PM

This will most certainly not be the last time Nagin opens his mouth before he goes for re-election (I believe his term ends this year and he has very minimal chance at getting re-elected, and don't believe Nagin has either the competence, ethics or experience to be deserving of another term.)

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2006-01-18 01:21 PM

and *scratching my head here* I am beginning to think that Chris Rose reads me as much as I read HIM:
http://www.nola.com/rose/t-p/index.ssf?/base/living-0/1137567686272460.xml

We always seem to be on the same page, anyhow. Thanks Chris Rose, yet again, for putting things into a humorous perspective.

sigh.

If ya'll want to know why people love New Orleans, read this guy. I just love him.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
13 posted 2006-01-18 01:41 PM

(giggles) Awwwwwwww, that was cute, Karen, Chris Rose certainly sounds like a unique, charming voice, yay!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
14 posted 2006-01-18 02:37 PM

I love that guy!
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
15 posted 2006-01-18 04:09 PM

Now that there was one sweet piece of prose!  Thanky sis!
Ringo
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
16 posted 2006-01-18 04:20 PM

The Three Stooges with Nines...

"New Orl-eens! New Orl-eens! Slowly, I turn.. Step, by step..."

This cat has got some great visuals for his readership.

Ronnie James Dio

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
17 posted 2006-01-18 09:58 PM

"a statement that Mary Jo Kopechne would have certainly agreed to."

Ah Mike, now who remembers that little
nobody?

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
18 posted 2006-01-19 08:21 PM

I could fall in love with Chris Rose!!! That was great.
icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
19 posted 2006-01-19 11:25 PM

I think it may be an OK idea.

Boston is Bean Town (OK, so be careful there where you light a match.) In my state there is a town that is called "the Rose City" and another called "the Queen City"  -  OK, maybe I don't want to go there.

If New Orleans wants to be chocolate that's fine.  We should designate a strawberry city and a butterscotch city;  I'll nominate San Francisco as a Tutti-Frutti City and Burlington Vermont as a Maple Wlnut City and Washington DC is clearly a Fruitcake City.

It all makes sense to me.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Chocolate City?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary