navwin » Discussion » The Alley » and now for something REALLY stupid
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic and now for something REALLY stupid Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-12-20 08:27 PM

And yep, it's all my fault.

Nobody's fault but mine.

And I really hate when that happens.

What the heck is she talking about now?

I am responsible for ruining YET ANOTHER DOOR.

Some of you might recall, wayyyyyyyy back when we were doing reno work on this here house, I ruined a pair of lovely French Doors with a sloppy stain job.

(Um, I got perfectly good advice here on how to fix that error, but no I never actually did fix them, but that's a rant for my husband I guess.)

But--and here's the stupid rant--we are now currently doing reno work--AGAIN.

Some of you already know it is also the flu season. (This is important to my story) So I caught the flu.
It's a rough flu season folks, don't mess around with the stuff, it goes into pnuemonia easy. But anyhoo, when it came time to paint our front door, I normally choose colors, otherwise we would have a house painted in LSU tiger purple and yellow. But anyway--I wanted a nice wedgewood type blue.

So with the fever from the aforementioned flu, I went down to Home Depot and tormented those poor people who were hired to mix the paint until I got exactly the shade of blue I wanted.

sigh.

People, please know that this flu apparently also causes color-blindedness. (Izzat a woid?) My front door is now exactly the shade of blue that is lining every other rooftop here.

That's right. That blue tarp look. *cringe*

Now what I want to know from you handyman types is this--since I wanted to treat it with some kind of weatherizing gloss anyhow--is there something that will lend a hue--or just--shudder--anything to temper this color?

Please don't ask me to go ask the paint people at Home Depot.

If I've discovered nothing else this year, it's that I would like to remain alive. (I was really that obnoxious--hard to believe, I know. )

Thanks in advance.

warning to others: never pick a paint color while running fever

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
1 posted 2005-12-20 09:10 PM

Why not use some stencils and just...make it look like some sort of artistic demonstration. You could get vine and flower stencils.
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2005-12-20 09:26 PM

Kaoru, there's very little salvation there.  Just look at a blue tarp.  That's the color of those doors.  Vivid, vibrant tarp blue, a shade rarely found in nature.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2005-12-20 09:55 PM

sigh..I think Alicat is right.

After all of the blue tarps are replaced by shiny new shingles, you'll prolly be able to locate my house from outer space.

I hate the door.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2005-12-20 10:06 PM

Easy solution, sis.  Paint all the doors and window trims/frames that same shade of tarp blue, then the rest of the house coral pink, then claim to be Cubans.
icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
5 posted 2005-12-20 10:53 PM

Get two packs of DiNobli cigars - they are the short black twisted ones that smell like creosote.  Break them up in a large jar.  Add one pint household ammonia a,d one pint rubbing alcohol.  Cap the jar and let it sit for two weeks (a month would be better, but I doubt that you have rennovated your patience yet).

Get one sheet of 200 grit wet/dry sandpaper.  Lightly sand the surface of the door (I said LIGHTLY, not angrily).

Sponge on two coats of the nasty stuff that is now in the jar.  Use a rinsed out damp sponge to get rid of any runs or globs.

Spray on two coats of outdoor clear Krylon.

Tell anyone who asks that the door is an heirloom that was painted blue by settlers two hundred years ago.  Once the smell has dissipated, they will believe you.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2005-12-20 11:08 PM

Two very creative solutions from two very creative guys. (and megs, if I say anything about flowers and vines they will hide the woodburner from me! )

I like 'em both actually.

But if those kids don't stop slamming the blasted thing, I'm considering taking it down completely.

Not like it ever kept anyone OUT.

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

7 posted 2005-12-20 11:25 PM

Wedgewood looks like a whitewashed blue to me, so maybe you could whitewash it or something to that effect???  
(I surface for one brief moment...here of all places.  Some things are hard to explain)  

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
8 posted 2005-12-21 03:48 AM

I'm writing down Mr. C's recipe....lol.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2005-12-21 03:59 AM

Hi you!

Well, honestly you can only do about one thing here.  You can sand it, then rag on white, sand it, and rag more white again, until the desired state of acceptance shines through maybe?  If you want to antique it, then sand it when you finally get it to a point you can stand it, and then take a dark "glaze" and quickly rag that on, to give it that aged patina.  Otherwise lady - go buy the right color of paint when you feel better and re-paint I guess then?  Oh, and I missed ya.

Let there be peace on earth,
and let it begin with me.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

10 posted 2005-12-21 06:24 AM

why not just repaint it....yuh

how i would love you, love you as no one ever did! Die and still, love you more. And still love you more..and more
~Neruda~

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2005-12-21 10:15 AM

Good Question.

But I think I just didn't wanna be wrong.

It's just such a beautiful paint job--in the most godawful color...and? I'll need more primer too. *wince*

*shaking my head*

thinking about the money and the chances of sweet talking the hubby into doing it again for me,and yanno?

That door is looking better already!

Thanks, folks!

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
12 posted 2005-12-21 11:28 AM

we bought a new (to us) house and moved in the first week of november. the people who'd lived there had... *ahem* an interesting... style (used in a profusely loose manner). without describing the exterior or the architectural decisions they made in the house, which is an entirely separate and oft-times painful story, the interior has a color scheme consisting of four base colors, with the rest just watered down or amped up cast-offs. the main colors are as follows: coral pink, aqua blue, fuscia (i'm not kidding) and white. Of these colors, the coral pink is most pre-dominant, covering the main living, kitchen and dining areas. the room that my son now occupies had the honor of being... gack... fuscia. what is now the office and was their "storeroom" was an off-color, but very smoke-stained white. the master bedroom is a light aqua blue, with the master bath and vanity areas a much deeper aqua blue/green.

be patient, i am going somewhere with this.

the first room to be painted was my son's room, of course. not only was it the worst, but he was a bit shaken up by the move and we wanted to get him comfortably settled into a place of his own where he wasn't moving around anymore.

then the task of the living areas ensued. now, it's approximately an 1800 sf. home. when you say 1800 sf., it doesn't sound like all that much. however, once you start attempting to paint over coral pink while shifting around more furniture than you really need anyway, it seems much, much bigger.

now, i'll get to the point.

we're still working on the living areas (and by we, I mean my wife, since i still have to do the jobs thing) which means that that damned aqua blue was staying up on the walls.

i had enough. it was going to drive me sane.

so, i took a can of her Kilz primer paint and hit the aqua blue (that's not too far from the tarp blue after looking at it for a month and a half) and ran a light coat (i was under time constraints so was working quickly) over it in the attempt to kill the damn thing.

well, to my surprise it did the job and killed the evil blue... mostly. what came out was sort of a cornflower blue that actually looks really nice. now, mind you, it's not staying as it doesn't match any of the other colors we (and by we i mean my wife) picked out to paint the house, but i think it looks cool. AND, best yet, i can live with it until we get the chance to actually paint it, since it's the last room we'll be doing.

so, in short, I'm with Duncan - whitewash really lightly, maybe even water the Kilz down a bit and see what it looks like. it worked for me.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

13 posted 2005-12-21 11:54 AM

Hmmm...

I'm contemplating a kind of cross between the white wash thing and the aged look.

(It's a cheap door, which we should have replaced, but sigh, we really needed to squeeze that insurance check so we could have a Christmas for the kids too)

But maybe if I just beat the crap out of it with a chain and hammer, touch up the dents with the same crappy blue, then whitewash...?

wince

I am trying to picture the look on my husband's face if he saw me beating up his perfect paint job here.

Not to worry.

He wouldn't come near me while I had a chain in my hand.

and C? Sounds like the colors of a craftsman style house?

If that's what you have, I'm absolutely drooling here...

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
14 posted 2005-12-21 05:50 PM

I've come back to this topic several times today.  Something that you wrote drew my attention but I couldn't put my finger on it, till now.  I live in an apartment complex and have been here for 8 months.  Well as I went out to check my mail, I realized why this post caught my attention.  Every apartment door is FEMA blue.  Never even thought a thing about it till now.  I don't know if I should thank you for bringing my attention to this or blame you for bringing this to my attention especially if I have nightmares about FEMA blue doors.  LOL
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
15 posted 2005-12-21 07:20 PM

I am killing myself laughing here - guess what color my door is?  I didn't even notice until inot2B's post.  Check out the Fema door will ya!

Now I will be changing mine too.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
16 posted 2005-12-22 12:23 PM

Gotta remember though that Kilz is a primer and won't last long outside without a finish coat. Also, if I remember right, the water based version is interior only so be sure to look for something that can be used outside.

And, you probably used a latex paint which does not sand very well. Might be better to use some No-Sand or some other paint prep stuff.

Good luck.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

17 posted 2005-12-22 12:25 PM

Somebody needs to explain to my hubby then that Kilz is NOT the top coat.

and Pete?

I was hoping you'd show up.

You seem to know a lot about this stuff.

Wanna get together and "flip a house" ?

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
18 posted 2005-12-22 12:37 PM

try a coat of yellow paint and turn it green?

a coat of white paint and turn it slate?

a coat of gray paint... etc???

leave it a while -- work on other parts of the house -- come back to it and see if it's grown on you?

enter it in an ugly door contest?

move it to the back door and move the back door to the front?

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
19 posted 2005-12-22 01:05 PM

lol, my 'artist's paintbox' would suggest either a whitewash or a greyish overpainting;
not to say yellow over blue won't become a green, but what if it turns out to be...
yuk...camoflage or puke green (sorry!)
hey, maybe cover it in bright foil with a bow for the holidays? I was sick yesterday...may still be a little bit sick
I shall never again paint anything wedgewood or FEMA blue!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » and now for something REALLY stupid

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary