navwin » Discussion » The Alley » "Lions eat people,"
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic "Lions eat people," Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2005-08-18 04:12 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166063,00.html

I first heard of this on NPR.

Hunters have been getting bad press
for some thirty years at least.  Now
they're talking about importing predators
to thin deer and elk herds.

I once read that crocodiles account for some
ten thousand Africans annually so there’s also apt
to be an adverse attitude that will threaten that species.
Perhaps we should for their sake consider the Great Lakes
as a refuge, (after a massive federal project to ensure
a comfortable year round habitat).

© Copyright 2005 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

1 posted 2005-08-18 08:50 AM

I think this is utterly insane...why aren't more efforts being made to sustain the breeds in their own homelands?  they could build the very same fences, and certainly cut down on poaching.

Lions are as dangerous if not more then mountain lions...and we know what has happened to a few joggers...

And whats this about keeping the elk herd down...?????  When the game preserves are introducing more elk into VA and our NE America, for instance Elk County, PA?

I know this is going to raise a lot of brows here, but that is what hunting is for, to keep the herds thin...

And yes, Lions do eat people...or kill them for they're litters...

gives a whole new meaning to...here kitty, kitty, kitty.

Whose going to pay for this, and who is going to patrol the fences to make certain these cats are not a risk?  Whose going to pay for all their shots, and vet bills, not to mention the food they will require?  

I believe this is insane and another diversion and if not, then I say, the people who are suggesting this are insane.

Why not take that same land, and build houses for those less fortunate?  Or grow food for those who are living in the streets, or schools to teach people how not to become homeless, on drugs or convicts, or maybe even, homes for abandoned children...and take care of them much better then childrens services?

Just a thought?

Geeze Louise...??????  

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2005-08-18 09:51 AM

I find the whole idea dangerous, not simply absurd. Introducing non-native species is almost always a disaster, in both the plant and animal kingdoms. It's ludicrous to think you can save ANY species on Earth by relocating it from one little pocket of this planet to another, while allowing wholesale habitat destruction to continue.
Gaia's response?

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2005-08-18 01:10 PM

Look, just because sabretooths and mastodons used to roam the Great Plains many years ago (thought to be relatives to elephants and lions) doesn't mean we should import these animals here today. I certainly also believe there's not enough evidence, besides the threat they can be to ranchers and children and those who enjoy long walks, etc. that they would prosper under these geographic conditions, since our winters, well, just aren't like our summers, LOL!

Everyone's right here, this idea is absurd, and the solution to saving these species from extinction of landlock and poaching, etc. is simply to work to stop these practices and focus on cold hard conservation.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Soulfisher
since 2005-01-07
Posts 226
where ever the fly fishing is good
4 posted 2005-08-19 05:58 AM

How long do you think it will take after the lions are here before a bunch of rednecks (like me) load up their buddys ,some beer and plenty of ammo and go poach the lions. The lions would be safer in their own land, and we need to concentrate on preseving our own wildlife.
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
5 posted 2005-08-19 10:54 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166156,00.html

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
6 posted 2005-08-25 02:25 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166663,00.html

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » "Lions eat people,"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary