navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Bernard Goldberg
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bernard Goldberg Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2005-07-05 03:42 PM

Bernard Goldberg, a former CBS News correspondent who is now a best-selling author and writer of television documentaries on the HBO and CBS networks, has become a right-leaning cultural force with the best-selling publications "Bias", which argues of the "liberal media", and "Arrogance", which probes into the media elite.

Now, Goldberg is at it again, this time with a published countdown of the "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America" (and, yes, Al Franken is #37)

Released today, this is already looking at repeating the success of his previous best-sellers. Anyway, here's the Top 10 of that list:

1. Michael Moore, filmmaker

2. Arthur Sulzberger, publisher of The New York Times

3. Ted Kennedy, Democratic U.S. senator, Massachusetts

4. Jesse Jackson, Democratic African-American activist

5. Anthony Romero, American Civil Liberties Union's executive director

6. Jimmy Carter, former Democratic president

7. Margaret Marshall, chief justice, Massachusetts state Supreme Court

8. Paul Krugman, columnist at The New York Times

9. Jonathan Kozol, education scholar and author

10. Ralph Neas, president of People for the American Way

The list also ranges from celebrities like Eminem to feminist Gloria Steinem to former CEO Kenneth Lay.

Funny...I don't remember Michael Moore being in charge of national security of this nation after 9/11, or Jesse Jackson deceiving the country into war!

I also find it funny that on many right-wing blogs where their own lists are being put together, the retiring Sandra Day O'Connor and the retired Dan Rather have made many lists but those like George Orwell and many of our founding fathers who we deem "patriotic" are not on, who influence and endorse dissent and such which is being stamped out in many forms recently.

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them."

George Orwell

Anyway, in this new book, Goldberg also offers bonuses, bashing the entire city of Seattle, which he describes as "ground zero for overpriced coffee" and home of more "progressive loonies than anyplace else on the Left Coast."

Being a resident of Portland, Oregon, which is considered a close sibling of Seattle and San Francisco, I myself am offended in that he'd refer to the "Left Coast", especially Seattle, as "loonies" and this strikes me that this is not a mere opinionated countdown effort, this is just another biased, intented liberal-bashing publication.

I'll tell you that Goldberg sure knows how to sell a book, thus this is bound to be a heavy presence on the New York Times Best-Sellers list this summer.

Thoughts on Goldberg, "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America", etc.?

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

© Copyright 2005 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-07-05 08:08 PM

Wax and wane, little grasshopper.  During President Clinton's tenure, Al Franken lashed out viciously at the conservatives and anyone leaning even a bit to the right.  During the whole of the 90's, there was one, and only one, conservative voice on radio: Limbaugh.  These things go in cycles, depending on the Adminstration (not the President, but his Adminstration, which goes all the way down to Education and Agriculture...and any other 'lesser' offices).  During Carter, those voicing any right-leaning view were vilianized, which led to the massive uprising during the initial years of Reagan with Meese's Meesekateers (Moral Majority), a backlash to a decade of decadence and very poor clothing styles.  Rest assured, my friend.  If a Democrat or (perish the thought *insert humor here*) an Indepedant becomes the next President, the pendulum will swing, new books will come out, and the common theme will be the evils of the 'right'.
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2005-07-05 08:50 PM

I'm just concerned with the intent of his publication here; in that he's just intentionally trying to further polarize America here in a partisan manner.

I'm especially concerned he goes more personally here and attacks everyday Joes and Janes in Seattle and among the West Coast. He has every right to criticize many liberal personalities, but he goes on to make it an ego conflict on everyone who just so happens to live in the northwest of the Lower 48, along the West Coast, etc.

I myself am not interested in stooping to the countdown game, but I will say it's quite funny that barely anyone running our nation within the past five years (and it's quite evident seeing how the nation has become so polarized since after 9/11 that most Americans believe we're heading in the wrong direction) is on there, nor those who intentionally do all they can to polarize this nation (Karl Rove, George W. Bush, Bill Frist, etc.)

Be minded if I compiled my own list, which I'm not going to do because I don't want to stoop to that level, it wouldn't be just those in the GOP White House on there. Ward Churchill would be in my Top 10 most likely, while Louis Farrakhan would make the list, Joe Lieberman, etc.

A few conservatives like Michael Savage did make the list, but it's quite obvious he believes liberalism is what is screwing up America and, if anything, with that kind of approach, I don't see Bernard Goldberg to be any better than Michael Moore. In fact, though you can never completely accurately compare characters or such, Goldberg may have patented himself along with Coulter as the Moore on the right.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Bernard Goldberg

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary