navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Can't we just ship Churchill out already?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Can't we just ship Churchill out already? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas

0 posted 2005-06-29 06:36 PM

I mean, geeze.  At an Anti-Military Recruitment speech delivered in Portland, that professor urged conscientious objectors to join the military instead of using their conscientious objection to get out.  The reason?  To 'frag' their commanders.  Which means to blow them up.  Preferably on the battlefield with comrades and fellow soldiers close by.  For some reason, his tactic seems just like something traditionally aired on Al-Jazeera, and his speech tickles my memory with footage I've seen of mullahs speaking to young adults about why wearing suicide belts will earn them favor with Allah.

First he calls supports of war following 9/11 'little Eichmans', then lies about his cultural heritage, then lies about artwork claimed to be of his creation, now this.  Had I the money, I'd pay his airfare to Syria myself.  I'm sure he'd have no problem making friends there.

Just wish I could remember the name of the Gulf War vet, who is Native American (Apache, I think), who is a law professor specializing in International Law in Indiana.  He put up an American flag after 9/11 and wrote a strong piece about why, before it was removed for 'offending' some of his collegues.  And after he refused to sign a letter written by his department head in support of Ward Churchill, he was essentially labeled 'not a team player'.  He doesn't yet have tenure, unlike Churchill, and I really doubt he'll get it now.

Hell, if my math is correct, I'm 1/8 Comanche but never made a fuss about it, never tried to get favors due to it, and could definately prove it.  It really don't matter to me, since I'm an American first and foremost.  That's a topic for another rant.

© Copyright 2005 Alastair Adamson - All Rights Reserved
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
1 posted 2005-06-29 08:12 PM

There seems to be a “America, the true and only evil”
indoctrinated mentality at work here. . . Where does this
deep seated notion come from?   Or is it just because it’s so safe
a way to be “bad”, (you can, and some do, say all kinds of things
to a cop you wouldn’t to any other armed man, because
you know he won’t draw and put an end to your insults,
at least not in this country)?

By the way, isn’t such incitement to physical violence
against the law, or is it color coded?

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2005-06-29 09:27 PM

Yeah, I've heard all about this, being a new Portland native myself, and I am terrified and disgusted, or better yet, terrifyingly disgusted with his response here.

This type of rhetoric is a disgrace to our men and women serving, and disgraceful to America's honor, dignity and values.

It's true I've defended Churchill before regarding his essay for reasons I specified in that previous thread in that even if I strongly disagreed with him and find him to have issues and would never have a coffee with him, he has the right to freedom of speech, and I don't believe he was defending the 9/11 attacks but rather was making a point it's no suprise they happened because of what happened in Lebanon in the 80' along with other previous regimes endorsed by the U.S.

I can't possibly defend these words though. It's white hot hatred. His words are basically encouraging radical leftists to sign up as suicide bombers against our military, which is despicable.

Obviously I am against this war, have been from the beginning, and believe things won't get better until the occupation ends. But Churchill's proposal represents nothing even remotely close to my views, nor should they among any sane American, and to say something like that makes him look like none other than, well, Osama bin Laden.

When his students are also giving him lower grades, I don't see what good he's doing for anyone now. I pray the University of Colorado presses him to resign immediately or fire him.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2005-06-29 09:54 PM

I have a feeling he'll stay put.  Again, Freedom of Speech and tenured.  Only in America.  Anyplace else would've already arrested him, censored him, shot him, or exiled him.

Freedom of Speech, which others are paying for.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
4 posted 2005-06-29 10:11 PM

That is indeed a possibility.

Should that happen, he's only going to give the University of Colorado a bad lasting reputation, and the university would deserve to look bad in consequence of that.

Should that be the result, it's a crying shame too, because I went to school there for two years (like I said, even met Phil Mitchell) and there truly are many wonderful professors and activists there who are very understanding, accessible and considerate. I still keep in touch with many of them and they've told me that Churchill's views don't represent their own.

This will be a test of character for the University of Colorado here, a test which could determine the very fate of their future.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2005-06-29 10:36 PM

It just occurred to me no link to the story has been provided yet:
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45012

World Net Daily obviously leans strongly to the right in their opinion on colleges in general and such, but the article itself I find to be fair.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 2005-06-29 10:41 PM

That's one thing I neglected for a reason: no full transcript of the speech, just excerpts from livestreaming media.  Actually, World Net shamelessly took the story, almost verbatim, from Pirate Ballerina  Since his speech was on Friday at a college campus and wasn't covered by networks, except for one independant media outlet, I figured it would take a few days for a transcript to appear.  I happened to hear a about it on FoxNews this afternoon...kind of a teaser about the upcoming O'Reilley Factor, and I had a devil of a time finding any articles about it at the time of the original posting.  This one was hard for me to discuss, as my true feelings of that....person...wouldn't even be fit for any of Mature Content's forums.
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2005-06-29 10:54 PM

Yeah, I tried to look for a full transcript myself. This news is coming in slowly, too slowly.

But the article I provided was good enough for a start. I don't agree with the source's views 95% of the time or more, and strongly disagree with their opinion of universities "brainwashing" kids in general, but I am a Portland native, I heard about this locally myself, those were his words, and I believe that was also his intent and message.

It's obvious after saying something like that he hates our troops and much of America's values and has no morals or shame, and he might as well ought to take one of the next planes out of our country, as I'm sure both sides of the aisle are thinking "good riddance" of him.

There's been so much ugly commentary this past week, I'm just saddened and sick of it.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2005-06-30 01:55 AM

More on Churchill's lowest grades in years by student evaluations:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/education/4661148/detail.html

Churchill blames the low grades on the amushing of journalists.

I personally believe, in my experience of seeing footage of him stick his hands into camera lenses and pushing the cameraman backwards, he is someone in need of anger management and has no one but himself to blame for his inability to discipline himself.

It would be helpful if some of his students spoke out in why they offered him lower grades in terms of "accessibility". Perhaps it might reveal his personality or character in how he teaches in class, and if he vents the same anger and steam and opinions toward his classmates.

Hopefully these low grades may really raise eyebrows at the University of Colorado, and may help build on the case that it is the likes of Churchill that are making the university a less comely place.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
9 posted 2005-06-30 02:19 PM

John Gibson's 'My Word'

William Bradford is the name of the law professor I was trying to recall.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
10 posted 2005-06-30 02:30 PM

Churchill defends his comments.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2831958

"Think about what you're talking about and what you're doing. Think, in other words....if we can all take a deep breath, I'm not talking to a roomful of troops. Nobody in that room is going to frag an officer....I didn't tell anyone in that room to do a damn thing except think."

What is that supposed to mean? That just shows he either doesn't think about the consequences of what he says before he says anything, or that he is just incredibly selfish.

What I'd really like to know is why would someone even THINK of fragging as an option? Who would even THINK of comparing Eichmann's family to the family of one who lost a son or daughter honorably in our military?

I don't believe Churchill has any shame for what he's said. He's no liberal, he's an extremist, and his hate speech is a disgrace to America.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
11 posted 2005-06-30 02:42 PM

"Not talking to a roomful of troops..."  That there would have been a lynching.  And I guess there's a reason why he 'teaches' ethnic studies (since he claims to be Native American) and not ethics.
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
12 posted 2005-07-01 02:12 PM

Let me make another point here, especially as someone who believes in freedom of speech.

There have been a few I've talked to from CU by phone who say they were appalled by what he said, but added, "but what are you going to do, he's entitled to freedom of speech."

You see, I believe Bill Owens hit it right home in what the real problem here is:

"Ward Churchill has made a lifestyle of saying he was misunderstood and it was taken out of context."

There's many who also already believe he was never a Comanche indian and lied about that, puzzled in how he climbed up the ranks of the academic department so quickly, and plagiarized art and writing.

The only conclusion I can come to is, Who is this guy?

I can't possibly defend Churchill here. I believe he has a terrible case of malignant egophrenia and the only conclusion I can come to about his constant controversy-making is he does it just to get national exposure, not start an intellectual discussion. He's abusing free speech just to get on so many people's nerves.

And it's a bunch of bull that Churchill is presenting himself as a poster child of free speech, yada yada yada too. He believes his fragging remarks fall within First Amendment rights, yet he doesn't care at all about freedom of speech.

Look, for example, I am no fan whatsoever of Columbus Day. In fact, I absolutely resent that holiday and find it to be degrading. But I also believe those marching for that holiday have the right to do so. And guess who tried to deny them their First Amendment rights before? Ward Churchill!

With that said, Churchill is clearly not making these sorts of outrageous statements either because he believes in freedom of speech to its fullest, nor that he wants to start an intellectual discussion. It's out of nothing but his selfish ways, and to many, he's already a cold-hearted spectacle.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
13 posted 2005-07-01 02:16 PM

All while 'earning' 100k/yr as a tenured professor of Ethnic Studies.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Can't we just ship Churchill out already?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary