navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Irrational fears
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Irrational fears Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow

0 posted 2005-06-17 05:27 PM

I have a lot of irrational fears, and they're starting to bother me.

I couldn't sleep last night because of one in particular that has always scared me. I don't really know if there's any way to "deal" with fear, really. Taking deep breaths or imagining pink ponies, I guess.

I'm just WAYYYY too exhausted to lose sleep over something I KNOW is stupid.

Grr.

© Copyright 2005 Meghan Armitage - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2005-06-17 05:31 PM

i don't know about the pink ponies

prayer helps a lot...refocusing your attention onto something else....and by praying about it, God please let me think of something else, something happy....say that a few times and watch other stuff pop into your head and you will forget what it was you were afraid of. I do it...it works...

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2005-06-17 11:13 PM

K, these fears may or may not not be
irrational. But if you feel they are, and they are controlling your life..your day-to-day existence? perhaps it's time to bring them into the open, get some feedback from someone else? have you put them into words or images? I've always believed that dreams are a safety valve, a way to sort through all the input our brains, hearts, and bodies just can't handle each day. Kinda like a clearing house maybe? hugs to you, hope things aren't too hectic for you

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
3 posted 2005-06-18 01:19 AM

well i've been dealing with pink elephants, thusfar they've done little to dissuade my fears. listen to kacy, she's a wise one she is
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2005-06-18 02:36 AM

I am so suspicious of life I no longer believe that any fear is irrational.

and laughing,

paranoid, or just incredibly aware?

love ya megs

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
5 posted 2005-06-18 04:42 AM

Well, I wasn't gonna respond to this because anyone that knows me knows that I am a worry-wart and am long overdue for some 'thurpy'

Anyhoo... Megs, lemme tell ya this...

Having a child sometimes also gives life to an un-ending worry that you will carry with you till forever.  Why?
Because now, you are no longer living for yourself, but for another little human being.

I have two children ages 12 and 9

The first one was born when I was 18 and I was sure that I would kill him the forst week cause I had no idea what I was doing.

The second, well hell... I was a pro by then so I wasn't as paranoid with her.

So, when this 3rd one was born in October, I was sure that I was a complete professional and that nothing would bother me with her cause I had seen and done it all with a baby before right?

WRONG -

I am MORE paranoid with her than I was with the other two.  I worry about everything all the time because she IS my last, and better yet... my last time to do this whole mama thing right, if there is such a thing.

I never thought I could love anything as much as I loved my first, and yet... each time I have been overfilled with this love that words cannot explain for these little creatures that God blessed me with.

I don't know your specific worries, so I would never say to brush them off - if they are keeping you up at night and affecting your daily life - then YES you should talk with someone or something

However, if I were you (and I know that you have a lot on your right now) I would just take a deep breath and relax a little.

Sometimes (and I have learned this the hard way) worrying about what MIGHT happen, will cause you to miss what actually does.

Take care of you and that little one!!

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
6 posted 2005-06-19 01:50 AM

Deal with fear?  Hell yes, you can deal with fear.  I have (had, will always have, goes away, comes back, says BOO!)  panic disorder and the MOST irrational, retarded, unalarming, ridiculous notions are usually the ones that cause fear.  (Usually)

I am going to get medical on you now LOL but the limbic system is responsible for controlling your nervous system and in order to generate your limbic system, you need to do deep relaxation breathing, deep abdominal breathing, meditation . . . essentially taking deep breaths from the abdomen, NOT the chest (take a deep breath right now - did it come from your chest or your abdomen?) Place your hand over your chest to prevent you from taking a chest breath and lie flat, taking in a deep breath, watching your belly rise, through your nose and hold it for maybe 5 seconds, counting, 1 and 2 and 3 and . .  however long you make it, let it go, long and slow through you rmouth until it is completely expelled and do this repeatedly until you are relaxed or you get so dizzy you forget what was bothering you  *smile*  . . . it works - truly . . . kind of like Lamaze.    

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Irrational fears

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary