navwin » Discussion » The Alley » All the News Fit to Print...
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic All the News Fit to Print... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2005-06-04 08:02 PM

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usguan044290134jun04,0,3806972.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-headlines

© Copyright 2005 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
1 posted 2005-06-04 11:53 PM

News Report

Well, this just happened about 30 miles from my house.  I think that we all need a lesson in learning to respect the beliefs of other people no matter who we are.

The soldiers doing what they have been charged of doing makes Americans look bad, not just themselves.

And?  The preacher that put that message on his billboard needs a lesson in respect as well.  

What was weird in that case, is that my husband and I were on our way to see his brother and we passed the sign and the news crew, and I thought to myself, not only does it make the pastor look bad for saying something like that.. it makes the town look that way as well when it ends up on the news.

Freedom of speech is one thing, but people should learn that it is sometimes wiser to say it to oneself than say it outloud.

JMO ofcourse - but hearing about it happening in another country doesn't hit home as quick as it does when it's in your back yard.

Tima

I may hate myself in the morning - but I'm gonna love you tonight
-Lee Ann Womack

[This message has been edited by Ron (06-05-2005 09:03 AM).]

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
2 posted 2005-06-05 02:36 AM

'we just hate false teaching' he says. oblivious to the thousands of other religions, including christian offshoots, that may think his particular religion's teachings are false. what a silly, stupid world we live in
wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
3 posted 2005-06-05 10:04 AM

"inadvertently splashed by water balloons and a guard's urine."

See? It was an accident.

water balloons?

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
4 posted 2005-06-05 12:32 PM

oh i haaaate when that happens. unbelievable. we vehemently deny the koran was flushed, it was kicked, urinated on, but we did not FLUSH it! the only thing more disturbing is the fact that people are still being kept at guantanamo without trial
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2005-06-05 04:19 PM

Well, I suspected ever since the Newsweek controversy that in terms of isolating the Quran mistreatments from the source, it has been true for years now there have been instances of Quran descecration. The only problem was Newsweek got their source wrong, which was indeed quite irresponsible of Isikoff & Co.

So, I'm not really surprised by hearing of these confirmations, and it just reveals all the problems of miscommunication in terms of religion and culture, and the seeming total lack of relational empathy and will to acculturate.

Now, of course, it's not just Qurans that have been descecrated. Bibles too have been known to be descecrated in various facilities from Tunisia to Saudi Arabia.

The bottom line is, I'm just saddened to have seen the way our media especially has often depicted Islam as an evil religion here and comparisons often made to Mohammed as a terrorist, etc. It happens all the time here and that needs to stop, while extreme minds in the Middle East indeed so likewise of Christianity there, and because the tensions keep ricocheting, the two cultures are just continuing to misundersand each other.

That's just one of the main problems too in just rushing to war with Iraq. Besides my own moral condemnation of war, in a more moderate understanding, starting a war without understanding the cultures only opens up a whole Pandora's Box of misunderstanding and problems, which we are seeing continue to inflate there.

It's a huge mess there right now.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » All the News Fit to Print...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary