navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Food for Thought
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Food for Thought Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea

0 posted 2005-04-23 03:58 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/23/opinion/23tierney.html?

quote:
For those of us lacking six-pack abs, this week's report that the overweight live longer is the greatest medical news in history. The authors of this study deserve a Nobel, not just for medicine, but for peace, too.

They have taken away the favorite cudgel of the scolds who used the "obesity epidemic" as an excuse to attack the flabby. The supposedly deadly consequences of fat provided the scientific rationale for the last politically correct form of prejudice.

The fatophobes are fighting on, disputing the new study and arguing that it still shows the fatal dangers of being seriously obese. But they have lost the scientific high ground. Not only do people of "normal" weight die younger than the moderately overweight, the study shows, but thin people die even younger than those of normal weight.

And I loved this part:

quote:
But the new study does give us ammunition for the beach this summer. The trick is to be subtle when confronted with glistening hardbodies. Don't insult them. Gaze admiringly, and bemoan your own paunch. Then sigh and talk about the future responsibilities you have - children to raise, the mortgage to pay off, the relatives to support.

When the hardbody looks confused, stop and gaze admiringly again before continuing: "God, I wish had your body - and your courage. Good for you! Don't listen to those medical nerds. Go for it! Live lean, die young, leave a beautiful corpse."

The basic line is that thin is rich and fat is poor.

© Copyright 2005 Brad - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2005-04-23 10:52 AM

Then I should live to be 100, easily!
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2005-04-23 12:01 PM

It does go both ways.  See, I've had an 8-pack (6 is for underachievers) since I was about 13.  I'll be 35 this year and still have it.  Just one of those body types, ectomorph, which gains definition quickly but not mass.  Definite downside is when I get sick.  Since I'm thin, I don't have large fat reserves.  When I get sick, my body uses those up first to fight the bugs, then starts in on the muscle when the fat's depleted.  So I lose weight I can't afford to lose, which makes me more tired and prone to illness.  Not to mention that it's a right bugger for me to gain weight.

I get sick, drop 5-10 pounds in one week, then have to work for months to restore what was lost.  There are definite times when having low body fat has drawbacks.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

3 posted 2005-04-24 10:14 PM

I've done a few concerts lately in very hot and crowded halls, hundreds of singers and players. (It's Carmina Baruna, what else could you have? ) but the little skinny girls were falling down like flies, but I was still just fine. You'd think I'd be down too, since I'd get hot faster. Shrug

I still think my weight makes me a bit harty against those things. I'm also the last person to catch things going around Too bad it's so unattractive!

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2005-04-24 10:53 PM

Well, luckily, I've built up a mental resistance to most things out there.  My SO, who's a bit overweight, gets sick a whole lot more often than I do.  Come to think of it, last time I got sick (not counting heat exhaustion) was when I took a trip to San Diego about 4 years ago.  And lemme tell ya, bronchitis and mountains don't mix.  Took several days for my ears to pop, and when they did the best I could do was crawling to the bed, hauling myself up, and waiting for the world to stop spinning.

But when something does finally get me, that's when things go south in a hurry, since I don't have the fat reserves needed by my body to fight whatever gets in.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 2005-04-25 01:17 AM

I can't read the article, Brad, since I'm not registered (and it's too late to do so tonight), so can only imagine what the article says.

I know that all week I've been listening to the new reports regarding the leading causes of death in the United States and how obesity fits into that.

Truthfully, I've heard some fairly sound and logical arguements that obesity, if not directly the number one cause of non-violent death in America, is at least indirectly responsible for the majority (contributing to heart failure as one example).

egowhores.com - really love yourself.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
6 posted 2005-04-25 01:18 AM

oh, and i'm one of those skinny people... I get sick about once every four years, thoguh I'm overdue by about a year and a half at the moment...

egowhores.com - really love yourself.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2005-04-25 07:17 PM

Lovebug, may every woman on the planet be as unattractive as you are!!!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Food for Thought

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary