navwin » Discussion » The Alley » more nukems
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic more nukems Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2005-03-26 06:03 PM

Way to go George and Condy! GRRR!
Go ahead, give Pakistan the wherewithal to kick India's butt! Then give India the planes it needs to fight back, just so some hungry American companies can sell some nuclear capable F16's.

Yep...that makes a lotta sense(if you are a retarded cowboy).
I do not suppport the Bush administrations decision to sell nuclear capable F16's to Pakistan.  

© Copyright 2005 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2005-03-26 08:17 PM

Nor I!
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2005-03-26 10:20 PM

THANK YOU, SHARON!
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
3 posted 2005-03-26 11:56 PM

i am shocked and appalled, i never thought the bush administration capable of this!

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
4 posted 2005-03-28 05:41 PM

(sad sigh) I don't know what to think of this in the whole. I guess I just hear so much about what they might have done that it sounds so insane to me I can't possibly think of it as true, but with Iraq and all, I really can't be suprised whatsoever.

I just don't understand Bush's view of "democracy" at all. I mean, if he truly believes in democracy at its full extent, I just can't fathom why he either endorsed or failed to condemn the attempted coup of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela (democratically elected in two elections and six referendums), Aristide in Haiti (democratically elected in 1990, previously ousted before returning and being ousted again but never democratically ordered to resign by the Haitian people) and possibly other Latin American nations.

I don't understand why Bush won't go out and publicly condemn the elections in Kyrgyzstan and/or make a message to the people who protested and want their own citizen-sponsered democracy, and meanwhile Uzbekistan, one of the worst police states on this planet, a country where you can be arrested for going to a mosque, for having a beard, for any sort of religious activity that strays out of the state's definition of what it is to be a Muslim, is a close ally with the Bush Administration, and with Karimov, their dictator.

I don't understand why Bush or his colleagues have done nothing to condemn King Gyanendra's coup of Nepal's entire democracy, using his military to harrass and intimidate democratically elected officials of their nation, and cutting off all the people's phone lines and flight terminals.

It's baffling by all means. You never hear of these countries in his State of the Union addresses, or anywhere in that matter. And of course I'll never begin to believe war is peace and peace is war and democracy through the spilling of blood is artificial democracy, but these examples alone, seriously, ought to make anyone concerned or question his mission.

I am in shock, utterly in shock here. Yet, somehow, I suspected this would be happening anyhow.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
5 posted 2005-03-30 04:45 PM

more on nukems
http://www.counterpunch.org/stclair03302005.html

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2005-03-31 04:31 PM

I believe it's also relevant to put Afghanistan in perspective here as well.

It appears now the U.S. military will likely stay there for years to come. The Bush administration said on Monday it is spending $83 million to upgrade two main military bases including Bagram Air Base. Meanwhile, new runways are being built to allow these NATO F-16s to use the airstrip.

I think this is a very serious problem.

We have to remember sixteen years ago Congress blocked the sale of such planes in order to punish Pakistan for developing nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, we're now aware both these countries have nuclear material.

Former Republican Senator Larry Pressler of South Dakota would even agree here this is a mistake. He said, "F-16's are capable of nuclear delivery. That's about the only reason Pakistan wants them. The only people they are in a fight with are in India. India now will have to get the same thing somehow."

And guess who's benefitting the most from this decision? Lockheed Martin.

Just recently they've said the company is threatened to shut down its plant in Forth Worth, Texas, which has 5,000 workers, if it can not secure more F-16 orders from overseas.

I can't help but believe once again this sort of decision is catering these corporate giants.

Add to that this sale comes at the same time the U.S. is conducting a criminal investigation into how Pakistan developed its nuclear weapons program, which federal investigators have uncovered evidence that Pakistan defied U.S. law, by making secret purchases of high-tech components from U.S. companies for use in its nuclear weapons program.

I'm just appalled by all this. It just makes no sense whatsoever to me. During the campaign, we hear all this talk about nuclear proliferation and that it must be stopped now, and about the arms race in the world, yet this sale is a whole 180 turn on that. It'll only encourage nuclear proliferation and will intensify the arms race between India and Pakistan.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
7 posted 2005-03-31 06:14 PM

the return of the cold war is imminent, the wheels already in motion.  
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2005-03-31 07:21 PM

It does feel like it's Fukoyama vs. Huntington all over again, doesn't it?

I really am saddened to see it always has to come to extremes only apparently. I've always seen great errors in both these responses.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2005-03-31 07:30 PM

Thanks for all of your comments and input here, Noah and Raph. I am appalled at the way these actions seem to slide by unnoticed by so many, as if it were no big deal.
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
10 posted 2005-03-31 10:46 PM

it is remarkable Kacy, especially considering the 'liberal' media
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » more nukems

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary