navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I'm mad
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic I'm mad Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands

0 posted 2005-03-25 05:20 PM

Yesterday morning: during the proces of making backups from all my data, photos etc., my screen broke down.
Yesterday evening: installed a new screen wich I borrowed from a friend for a couple of days and something went wrong and all of a sudden my Windows register got senile and wouldn't let me open any program, except email, internet en the icon 'my computer'(through wich I can reach my word and exceldata).
Today: brought it to the repair store and they told me they can't fix it anymore, because my register screwed up so badly, that even the Windows repair tool won't work.

AND NOBODY CAN TELL ME WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED, I don't have a virus or something at all, they've checked.

And here I am, with a fully loaded pc (thank God I made a backup of the sheep pedigree program) and can't do anything actually.

As I have a shared network map with my Hubby's pc, I started tonight to copy and paste my entire C-disk to his computer, because on mine Windows XP has to be installed all over again and I have to install all the programs I used again.

Not likely this installing XP can be done very quickly, because my son in law (who is the ICT man about the house) is comming back from Maleisia this Eastern weekend and I'm sure he won't be pleased with me when I put him in front of my computer the minute he walks in.

I'm a lucky Dutchie though due to the fact that I didn't loose all my data and poems and photos. But it gave me a hell of a fright, I can tell you that!

So I'm angry, because it will take a lot of time to restore everything and a lot of work to safe the things I need to safe.

Yes, I'm very p...ssed tonight.Who's shoulder I might lean and cry on tonight!

Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

© Copyright 2005 Titia Geertman - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2005-03-26 07:33 PM

I'm reading this like a drama. When is chapter 2?

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
2 posted 2005-03-26 09:35 PM

My friend, you can lean on my shoulder anytime and how I wish I could send my son, the IT guy, to fix your computer.

I know this is little consolation, but it could have been worse; you could have lost everything.

Hang in there ... darn computers!!!!  huggles, Marti

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2005-03-26 10:13 PM

Ah, Dutchie, that is certainly a bummer. I'm glad you saved the data, though. It's the world we live it...we come to depend on technology and, when it screws up, we're in a jam. Hang in there, sweetheart. I've got two shoulders - no waiting
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
4 posted 2005-03-27 06:46 PM

All I can say is that I'm a happy Dutchie at the moment.
Thanks friends for all shoulders offered to me, good to know they were there when I needed one.

Brad: chapter 2:

Saturday morning 10.00 am, my daughter rang that they were home again safe and sound. I told her my disaster and she promised to come over that very afternoon. They did and stayed overnight.

Sunday (Easter)morning: my son in law (bless this boy) sat down and reinstalled my computer, putting everything in order, took him a whole day of his precious two holidays that were left before he has to go to work again! Isn't he something!!! Only thing I have to do is to reinstall the programs I was using.

Yes, I'm a very lucky Dutchie to have a son in law like Jerry. Bless you Jerry for loving our daughter and spending your free day on my computer. We used to tease our daughter in the early days that we would only allow her a boyfriend if he was of any use to us too , well, this one we'll keep, that's for sure LOL.

So now I have a computer that's running smooth and fast and I still have all my data (wich is backed up safely now)

Titia

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
5 posted 2005-03-27 07:18 PM

I'm so glad you're up and running again, Titia.  I spent almost all of yesterday, from 6:30am until 8:30pm working on a comp belonging to a lady from my SO's work.  XP Home, heavily infested with nasty critters thanks to her son who's into warez.  I did the best I could with the tools I have, but at some point she will have to reinstall XP Home, since two core system files were corrupted beyond redemption.  If I had her Dell installation CD's (yet another reason I prefer custom builds), I'd be doing that today, wiping the harddrive and performing a clean install, then service packs, drivers, and applications.  Odds are, I'll be doing just that sometime this coming week.
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
6 posted 2005-03-30 09:09 PM

Well, I cheered too soon, because my computer crashed again, cause unknown and we had to reinstall all over again and now I'm still busy installing all those programs and I lost my internet favorites so I have to find all those sites again

Yes, I cheered way too soon. No, my son in law made no mistake, but somehow my computer don't love me anymore.

Titia

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

7 posted 2005-03-30 09:40 PM

Ali, you should come to my place and fix my laptop..its SOOO infested with spyware, and running anti-spyware makes it worse somehow!

:P

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
8 posted 2005-03-31 12:09 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems yet again, Titia. Hope you can find the culprit.

And I did get the rest of the Dell system, everything that was shipped to them.  First install went squirrely when I connected the cable modem prior to finalizing firewall/virus settings, and some bastid tried sneaking in.  Windows Explorer has absolutely no business trying to access the internet.  So.  Yesterday, I cleared the partition, reinstalled, and things went fairly smoothly.  All updated, patched, and scanned, and returned to owner this afternoon.  Since she uses dialup, and I wasn't entirely certain what she wanted to do regarding an ISP (she was using Yahoo), I didn't install/setup any dialup accounts.  Her husband can do that, I reckon.

And Buggy, see if you can get AVG installed and updated, change the test settings for complete scan to include all files, and run it to find, quarantine, and attempt cleansing of infested files.  If worse comes to worse, if you have another harddrive, try backing up things you want to keep (if they ain't infested), and reformat/reinstall.  I just did mine today, as I wanted to be certain that old drivers were wiped clean, since regular uninstalls tend to leave crap behind which likes to cause conflicts.

Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
9 posted 2005-03-31 08:11 PM

.....gremlins?
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
10 posted 2005-04-01 06:30 PM

Na, no gremlins.

After going down a third time last night, we decided to install the thing ourselves and guess what????

Brad, here's chapter 3

During the installation I saw that my newly installed C-disk was only 20 GB big and that wasn't the size I'd ordered, bought and paid for.
I asked my hubby where he found this harddisk and he said " in the little chest in the living room and then it came to me, because the new disc I had bought was 160GB and was laying on a shelf in my study.

They had installed an old broken disk!!!!!!!

No wonder my computer kept going down and down and down.

So...today we put in the right harddisc and installed the whole bloody thing again and this weekend I have to install all my programs again. I'm becoming quite an expert on that I may say.

Can you imagine???? Stressed all week and a lot of work, and anger and a bill from the store of about $100,00 (to fix a disc that was already broken beyond repair).
Be sure my hubby's getting that one back on him for a long, long time

Titia

Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
11 posted 2005-04-02 08:51 AM

The good thing is,,ya figured it out,,,,
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I'm mad

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary