navwin » Discussion » The Alley » No No, CEO
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic No No, CEO Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2005-03-07 11:11 PM

Boeing Co. on Monday sacked Chief Executive Harry Stonecipher who had an affair with a female executive.

Stonecipher, who was president and CEO of McDonnell Douglas Corp. until its merger with Boeing in 1997, will also leave the company's board.

Chief Financial Officer James Bell, 56, will take over on an interim basis, becoming Boeing's first African-American CEO. But he is not a candidate to hold the post permanently.

Boeing said Stonecipher's affair with the woman broke company rules and impaired his leadership abilities.

Boeing said Stonecipher's departure was unrelated to the company's performance or financial condition.

Good thing Clinton didn't work for Boeing!!

Should morals be of major importance in executive positions? If not, is Boeing wrong? If so, should Clinton have been impeached? What say ye.....?

© Copyright 2005 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2005-03-08 02:04 PM

Oh, without question, I believe morals and ethics should be established for CEO's and corporations.

What I'm more and far more concerned about, however, is the lack of morals in terms of accountability and responsibility.

Because of a total lack of responsibility and oversight, the CEO's of Enron and Worldcom plundered American workers and the American public, and all because no one else knew nothing these corporations lost hundreds of millions, which hurt the American worker and our economy.

Now with the latest tort reform, regular citizens who may feel exploited time and time again by corporations can't take their case to federal court, and can only take it to state courts, which are queued with all sorts of pending cases as it is, which as patient citizens who only want to see to it human rights and health benefits and such are held up in the corporate workplace, these corporations could continue to violate their responsibilities.

THAT'S the main issue here. And I have to tell you, I'm sick of being labeled as anti-business just in expressing this belief. I'm not anti-business. I'm pro-responsibility, pro-respect and pro-civility. And, unfortunately, there truly are CEO's and corporations out there who abuse human rights and are so very irresponsible. I boycott corporations that do just that. But when companies are sound, I am a proud consumer. I reward their high standard of morals with my capital.

I just can't respect a corporation for funding paramilitary operations on union workers, continuing to market a dangerous drug that's linked to 55,000 deaths, or funding a former military dictator Augusto Pinochet.

So, yes, Balladeer, morals shouldn't only be implemented to these corporations and of high importance, each corporation ought to be moved by these morals.

And these sorts of affair scandals, which I am more indifferent over and believe they should just be resolved personally, nevertheless always become hot topic issues in our media and I feel just for the good of it, some sort of moral has got to be implemented there, because the way our mainstream media functions, such scandals as this could only be uneconomical.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2005-03-08 02:10 PM

So, yes, Balladeer, morals shouldn't only be implemented to these corporations and of high importance, each corporation ought to be moved by these morals.

Thanks for responding, Noah. I didn't see an answer to the last part of my question, though, and I would like to hear it.

(and I'm very good at going back into previous threads and bring up comments already made )

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2005-03-08 02:34 PM

Look, I've never been a fan of Clinton either, and certainly not thrilled of his personal life and attachments and that he lied under oath.

I just believe, like I said in my last response, that these sorts of matters should be resolved personally, unless of course it had a form of violence or rape attached to it, where then it becomes a serious issue that should be televised and pressed and all.

But I just believe the whole scandal just blew out of control, and for that I don't believe he should have been impeached. I believe Clinton should have been aware of the consequences his actions could encourage in the media and all, because the media is always attached to a good scandal (Michael Jackson, Scott Peterson, Robert Blake, Martha Stewart) but I believe also much of the fuel to the scandal was deliberately fueled by oppositional forces.

Look, I wasn't intentionally trying to dodge Clinton in the discussion the first time. My point is there's far worse and ridiculous things happening in our world rather than sleazy politicians. You're already aware of what I believe those like the likes of Bush and Rumsfeld are guilty of and should be impeached for, but besides that, there are everyday American families who struggle to provide because they don't get overtime pay, health benefits or living wages because corporations aren't reaching out to the working American, while even something as infamous as sweatshops are still here in our infrastructure.

Those are the more important ethical issues we should confront.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2005-03-08 02:43 PM

The oddity with the Boeing mess is that the man got punished for his behavior, but the woman did not.  She still has her job, even though at first they both said their relationship was consentual.  Did she later change it to sexual harassment in order to keep her job, or was she merely glossed over for a bigger target?  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2005-03-08 02:47 PM

So then, Noah, do you believe the CEO of Boeing should have been sacked?
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2005-03-08 03:07 PM

Judging by what he did, no.

But because of the way the whole sleazy affair got hyped and all, I don't know, I guess it might be for the best he's going. Had he stayed because of the hype, it would have been uneconomical for Boeing and its many employees. Plus the guy, just like Clinton, I'd say was guilty just for not being smart enough to recognize the consequences in cheating and the publicity it gets.

People are really sensitive, really touchy, on these sorts of issues where someone in power who did something that is tasteless, that it can affect a whole organization's complexion. People may have shyed away from Boeing had he stayed, and that would only hurt its worker base.

So I guess it's all for the better in the end. But I don't think he deserved to be sacked for what he did, and the whole thing just got out of control.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2005-03-08 03:11 PM

Is your spouse's morality an issue to you? If you found out they were having an affair, would you "fire" them?

I think morality is -- and forever should remain -- an individual matter, and not something regulated by society. If you want to forgive your spouse their indiscretions, that should be entirely up to you. If you want to cut off body parts (metaphorically, of course), that too should be up to you. What is tolerated legally is defined by the law. What is tolerated morally has to be defined by the heart.

I think Boeing was well within their rights to fire someone who represents them for behavior unacceptable to them. Or not. I think the individual voters were well within their rights to vote Clinton out of office. Or not. What you individually are willing to accept in a relationship, be it romantic, filial, friendship, or business, shouldn't be decided by anyone except you.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2005-03-08 03:18 PM

I agree with what Ron had to say here.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2005-03-08 03:23 PM

Well said, ROn, and I agree completely.

..although I'm not sure Hillary would not like to have seen one of Bill's body parts cut off only metaphorically!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2005-03-08 07:09 PM

Check with any medium-sized office [50 or more employees] and chances are you are going to find an Employee handbook. Open it up, and chances are you are going to find a clause on morality, and in this instance, sexual conduct. Not just regarding harassment, but that of even "consensual activity" with another office member. In most instances, that same handbook is going to indicate that both parties will be subject to some form of "discipline".

Unfortunately this kind of behavior, if left ungoverned, only adds time to fuel gossip at the watering hole, ergo lost work time. Another reason for those same rules is to keep the chance of a consensual relationship from turning ugly and ending up in the courts. Businesses will spend big bucks on keeping a "moral conscious" high among their employees.

However, there are times there can't be much done with the bosses...

and for some vague reason, the majority of people turn a blind eye.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
11 posted 2005-03-25 04:55 PM

Shakin'my head again here. So you're not supposed to fall in love with a colleague??

In my time in the Government Tax office job I witnessed among several weddings between colleagues, also this one: a wedding, then a divorce, witnessed falling in love again, getting married again, and after having two kids, getting divorced again (I'm talking about the same man and woman here) and still they work in the same office, until this very day.

You're talking about adult people who both consented in having something going together, so what's the problem. I wouldn't want to feed all the 'bosses' who sleep around with their employees, oh no, I would be broke quite soon I guess.

Sounds a bit like the fifties to me, when a woman had to give notice the moment she got married.

Live and let live I'd say.

And now they've probably lost a good man who will take his skills elsewhere. If they don't want their people to fall in love, they'd better take on some robots

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » No No, CEO

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary