navwin » Discussion » The Alley » 9/11 Chapter Two?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic 9/11 Chapter Two? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2005-01-08 01:56 AM

Is anyone else amazed  that we haven’t had another terrorist attack?
There are bombings every day in Iraq.  Israel for all its efforts still
loses children in buses blown into fragments by “martyrs”. And yet
the United States which has porous borders that allow millions
of illegal entries every year, where anything can be bought,
(if not already brought in), is quiet*.  Why is that?

* And look how we broadcast our vulnerabilities.  A train wreck in South
Carolina leads to a report on ABC Friday night that explains how open
to an attack, (by methods and weapons such as are now used in Iraq), are rail
cars in the United States carrying hazardous materials which could lead
to the deaths of tens of thousands, (if not a hundred thousand), depending
on the site, (Dear Osama, if you and yours are just plain too stupid
to figure it out, then flick on the TV).

[This message has been edited by Huan Yi (01-08-2005 02:45 AM).]

© Copyright 2005 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2005-01-08 03:40 PM

I am happy that we haven't endured another 9/11, and I hope that remains thus. Just about everyone would wish this.

Indeed there is need for improvement in continuing to protect the domestic borders without also intimidating or locking up other foreigner's and immigrant's rights to seek a fruitful life here, as America was founded on immigrancy, where people from all over the world came here to fulfill the American dream, where the Statue of Liberty has been engraved with the wise words of Emma Larzarus which still declare, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door." Thus is what has shaped America into what it is now, a melting pot of opportunity for all, regardless of your background.

These current times remind me of another quote by Oscar Handlin, where he said, "In times of shrinking expectations,... everyone feels like a victim and pushes away outsiders to defend his own corner."

There's no doubt 9/11, and terrorism in general, is a deep concern among millions worldwide. Indeed this issue must be resolved, and currently the world is conflicted between war and peace as the necessary step to ending wide-scale terrorist programs. I believe in the opposite of what our Administration believes, and in result, I believe only more terrorist instincts are being incited in the region, because, after all, many who had nothing to do with 9/11 are being terrorized as we speak.

All the same, it is loudly clear that our government and media are obsessed with fearmongering. The media shouted in fear  about dirty bombs two years ago, and that terrorists would drop them on U.S cities. That never happened. The media shouted in fear about a biological weapon attack, even smallpox. That never happened. The media shouted in fear about Saddam Hussein having weapons of mass destruction and he intended to strike the United States. All reports contradict that claim.

It is our own fear that can educate and encourage these terrorists. Lactantius said, "Where fear is present, wisdom cannot be." (sad sigh) It feels, to me at least, we are moving backwards in history, to the time of the Boston Tea Party, when those who rebelled against British orders and threw their tea into the Boston harbor were labeled as "terrorists".

Being a progressive who takes my emotions and desires to the streets with other concerned citizens, I believe I'm speaking in a genuine tone when I say ever since 9/11, the wake of fear once more has continued to shove us out of the way, as has our desires to find alternative slutions rather than the ugliness of war. In the weeks following Colin Powell's hearing in February 2003 before the war began the following month, we saw only 3 of 393 major network interviews featured anti-war guests according to FAIR. We've seen during both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions the suppression of activism marches with the so-called infamous "free-speech zone" and Pier 57 (a.k.a "Guantanamo on the Hudson"). We've seen a deregulated media that is ever so often adversarial to corporate party climates and not to democracy as a whole.

Huan Yi pointed out a shocking truth indeed. Osama bin Laden could just weld together a plan to attack us again, just by watching our own major networks. Isn't that alarming, isn't that absurd? In other words, our own corporate media is probably encouraging 9/11 II.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

2 posted 2005-01-08 04:16 PM

I just read online somewhere that Bush had let it be known through private channels to bin Laden that if he attempts another attack on our soil, Mecca will be vaporized.

Don't know if it's true or not but if it is, that might be the reason.

Here's the link:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42272

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
3 posted 2005-01-08 05:53 PM

Denise,

I think the article nonsense.

John

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2005-01-08 09:10 PM

Well, it doesn't pay to limit your options, the nuclear threat is always, or should always be there, whether explicitly stated or not.

Nuking Mecca would be silly though.

Let's see, how fast can you unite the rest of the Muslim world?

Once again, we see a confusion between terrorists and Muslims. Terrorists, while they might grieve for a while, would be perfectly happy to trade Mecca for the recruits it would bring.

I don't know why there haven't been more on American soil except perhaps for the simple reason that it would have the same effect on us as Mecca would on them, and, given the state of terror, what color is it today, it's probably not necessary.

Bali shocked, Madrid shocked, the Golden Gate bridge wouldn't shock, it'd just piss us off.

It may be true that terrorists aren't really intelligent enough to figure that out, so it may happen again, but anyway you run it, it's a net loss for their side.

Terror works best when people aren't ready for it.

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2005-01-08 10:02 PM

I do agree with Huan Yi that that appears to be rumored nonsense.

That certainly doesn't sound like Bush, and the tone just doesn't sound like him or his style.

I think just about anyone can agree the invasion of Mecca would probably be political suicide for anyone.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

6 posted 2005-01-08 11:13 PM

What need is there to launch another attack?
His goal is not to obliterate the US, it is to bankrupt the US.
Why interfere with success?

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

7 posted 2005-01-09 07:43 AM

I think that there will be more attacks. I think there haven't been any up 'till now due to a combination of their being a bit busy elsewhere at the time (In Iraq and Afghanistan), and a desire on their part to keep the suspense building.

There have been some reported thwarted attempts, but I don't think we can totally prevent future attacks due to our porous borders and the lax handling of illegal aliens, and also the stupid broadcasting of our vulnerabilities.

I think we should bring all the troops home, from everywhere around the world, kick out all the illegal immigrants, build a wall around the country and station our troops there. How's that sound? Too isolationist?

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
8 posted 2005-01-09 11:10 AM

­Why should Osama risk an attack on U.S. soil when he can quietly and without risk, kill Americans subliminally, and by proxy as a result of their own actions?

Their is no real evidence of Osamas personal army in Iraq...They would be showing up on the insurgent-capture list if there were..

True, there are sympathizers, and that is what our government, in its war mode, does not understand...They continue to say the insurgency is al queda backed, and that proves to me that they have no real social scientists among their ranks..they are using it as a whip to beat the dead horse they rode in the run up to the war..

...Without getting involved personally he (Osama) is bankrupting (as Krawdad indicated, is his goal)the United States...He realizes he cannot kill all of his enemies, He knows more will come...so he is hitting us in our wallets, the source of his original grievance, and without personal risk...

Denise..
"I think we should bring all the troops home, from everywhere around the world, kick out all the illegal immigrants, build a wall around the country and station our troops there. How's that sound? Too isolationist?"

I like this, don't agree with it completely, but love your honesty...It may look to some as a rant, but their is merit in it..

___________ice/ford

­­
­

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
9 posted 2005-01-09 01:42 PM

I think there are some making a master strategist
of a man who one intelligence source described as personally
not being able to lead six ducks across a road.

As to there being no attacks, it’s a mystery.  A few suicide
martyrs blowing up at malls would throw the country into a state
of panic.  It would cause such an internal reaction, (as for example
if they came across a until now insecure border), that would make
any current costs pale by comparison. Something else is at work here.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » 9/11 Chapter Two?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary