navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Perhaps?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Perhaps? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

0 posted 2004-11-17 11:02 PM

It may well be that we will have a black male chief justice of the Supreme Court, a black female Secretary of State, and a hispanic Attorney General. And the Democrats will oppose all three.

I do not offer this in any way, shape or form as a criticism or attempt to start some sort of political squabble, because to the contrary, I find to be able to make those statements to be a real positive.

Maybe I just have this warped view of America that perhaps we have made some progress since John Jay, Thomas Jefferson, and Edmund Randolph.  That perhaps through the peculiar system of American government and politics we all love to attack and criticize, we manage to not only survive, but move forward. That in putting our warts out front for all to see, we sometimes mask our strengths not only to the rest of the world, but to ourselves.

I know the Alley is here for criticizing and complaining, so have at me for being a polyanna.  

© Copyright 2004 Tim - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2004-11-17 11:20 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. It's something to be applauded (Yes, I'm giving Bush some brownie points here).

And I oppose every one of them.

We have and are making progress.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2004-11-17 11:44 PM

I have heard some in political circles cite Bush's selections as being just for racial bonus points.  Never mind their qualifications, credentials and education.  There will always be those who cannot see past melonomic tincture.  The odd thing, to me at least, is that the most outspoken people against Bush's selections are of the same melonomic tincture as his selections.  Another anomoly is Norm Mineta, the Transportation Secretary.  I haven't heard many Americans of Japanese ancestry speaking out against him.
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2004-11-18 02:11 PM

Race and gender shouldn't even need to be discussed, pro or con, as they supposedly aren't legitimate advantages or disadvantages one way or the other.
But I do think it's a positive sign that perhaps equality is closer to really existing than some have thought.
MHO

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2004-11-18 02:35 PM

Tim?

Rowley
since 2001-04-07
Posts 30

5 posted 2004-11-18 07:55 PM

Its very nice to see these positions filled by minorities, but the fact still remains that all are just tools for the commander-in-chief. I'll be happy the day we have a minority as the commander-in-chief.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2004-11-18 08:22 PM

Thanks for pointing it out, Tim.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Perhaps?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary