navwin » Discussion » The Alley » You Can't Always Have It Your Way
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic You Can't Always Have It Your Way Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-11-08 02:31 PM

You Can't Always Have It Your Way
By Larry Chadwick
I'll probably live to regret this!
If the world would only think like me,
How much better it would truly be.
But then again if it thought like you,
Then I would not know what to do.

“A man convinced against his will,
Is of the same opinion still.”
But that we have to think alike at all,
Makes me want to sit right down and bawl.

Diversity is meant for those who care,
And have an inner peace that lets them share.
So until God comes to restore His theocracy.
I prefer to be governed by our democracy.

So for those whose candidate did not win,
Better luck next time, Bush will not run again.
Two political parties represent the American way,
One will lose but come back to try another day.

Please, show some class now that you have lost,
Next time it may be our guy that gets tossed.
Then we will be sad and maybe even blue,
But show some respect that’s what you will want us to do.

November 8, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.
© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2004-11-08 03:05 PM

Awwwww, thanks Larry! I love your poem and absolutely agree, and despite the disappointment and sadness I feel from this election season, I will not vent the frustration as a negative force and push all those whose opinions and interest differ from mine away, but rather use it as a positive force and encourage for all to communicate between one another and try and settle each others differences.

The election itself is a concern to me, but what troubles me most of all is that I feel in the first term, Bush did little to reach out to the progressive community or to those whose politics and interest differ from his, and though he has said he vows to reach out to Kerry voters and form a bi-lateral agenda during his second term, it appears according to Karl Rove he intends to get the constitutional amendment banning gay marriage passed, overturn Roe vs. Wade, and reform social security intensely, three major social issues which disagree with progressives and liberals.

If Bush is going to earn any approval from those like myself, he is going to have to understand and realize that we have differing views on these opinions, and he is going to have to represent all of us, and if he just goes out and flat out treat our gay and lesbian citizens like second-class citizens and bans abortion and privatizes social security, he is not acting bi-laterally at all and will be the ultimate liar in not following his word.

He also has to understand about half this nation doesn't approve of this war, and I guess since we're already in this mess and I am fervently anti-war, so Bush must take responsibility here and fix up this mess by preparing a well-thought out strategy to get us out of there in the near future.

What I think the most important thing we need to do these next four years together is understand each others values. Those who voted Bush ranked "values" as the #1 most important issue driving them, and I think too many are misunderstanding or not acknowledging the necessity of their values. All the same, conservatives need to respect that progressives have values also; it's just the Democrats did a poor job being visionary this time around. Wow, how different would it have been if Barack Obama was the presidential candidate, LOL!

The point is, we've got to live like anthropologists and understand each others values, what makes each other tick, what makes each other agree. And we HAVE to get along in this process. That I believe is the key to bringing this nation back together again and leading America in the right direction.

Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has!". Boy, do I agree with that! I suppose movements always take time to reach their full potential, and as I will continue to protst this war, I believe in time more and more will see the dark truth behind this war and the "silent majority" will speak out!

God Bless You, dearest friend, I always appreciate your input and thoughtful words, yay!

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-11-08 03:29 PM

Noah,
My what an activist you have become! Well I have neither the time nor frankly the interest and detailed political conversation but would like to say that I am absolutely not in favor of gay marriage. I can accept a civil union though I don't much care for it. I have a number of gay friends whom I respect as individuals but have huge issues with life style.

Bush does not seem to be in a real concilliatory mood at the moment though I suspect that will gradually change in time. Having run companyies with only 125 employees I can tell you it is impossible to please everyone and frankly foolish to try. So though I respect you immensely there isn't much about his platform with which I disagree. Though I have some contrary opinions about the middle east.

Peace dear friend and thank you for your well thought out and kind reply.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2004-11-08 05:12 PM

(giggles) Yeah, Larry, I could understand how suprised you are how quickly I got immersed deeply in activism when I used to not care at all about politics, except for environmental or animal right issues.

I guess because I've been taught since I was wrong how awful war is, and also learning of such philosophies such as Martin Luther King Jrs, I felt it was my obligatory need to participate because if I kept silent, I feel I would be betraying my moral conscience from the inside. So I've become involved, and am happy to be.

I don't want to get engaged in a huge conversation about why gay marriage should/should not be allowed, but my reasoning here is this. I just feel that this issue is not so much about religion nor is it about marriage, it's about civil rights. America has long celebrated "religious freedom" and "religious diversity" and we should respect that. I feel banning gay marriage would be discrimination. It would treat gays and lesbians like second-class citizens. A partner wouldn't get all the benefits, both financial and social, that marriage entitles. I feel it would go against the American moral of "All men are created equal".

My response to this amendment is this feels so familiar to "Fiddler On The Roof", when back in the old days in Russia they had matchmakers and you couldn't choose your own partner or love by your own free-will. Then, when someone brought about the idea of love by free-will to Anatevka, you may recall everyone saying, "He's a radical!". Lazer Wolf didn't marry that young girl in the end, when in time people became accepting to the idea that if you fall in love with someone, then it must be true love.

I have a similar feeling to this issue. I can understand how it could feel strange to some to imagine same-sex weddings right now, and I do respect Christian religious fundamentals and morals, I really do. All the same, I believe we have to respect religious freedom, equal rights, etc. and in time, people may look back on this time in history when gay marriage may be legalized and laugh, or at least grin.

Anyway, I do understand that Americans by almost a 2 to 1 margin oppose gay marriage, and I respect that. All the same, it's split-even among those who believe a constitutional amendment should be made to define marriage between a man and a woman, and Bush needs to respect that too.

I appreciate your kind words, dearest friend!

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
4 posted 2004-11-08 05:18 PM

Thank you for this very true poem. I sure wasn't happy when Ex Impeached Clinton won not once but twice the Presidency, but I still stood by our country. Of course I'm glad Pres. Bush won his second term, and will continue to support him.
I don't believe in abortion or gay marriage. Life begins with conception and I feel marriage is between man and woman in Gods eyes. Thank you again!

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2004-11-08 07:10 PM

Noah,
I guess I am one of the minority that believes in some absolute truth. I still love your heart and appreciate your responses.

inot2B,
Yup some things just are. Thanks.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2004-11-08 07:35 PM

A Fable
quote:

Col. Pollyanna reporting, Sir!

Col. Pollyanna would like to say, Sir,
that had Senator [not Mr., Senator!] Kerry
become the President, I would have done all
I could [in spite of fearing fear] to have
supported the man that ran the race and won,
as well as any man can run a race in this day
and age in the mud and sludge of politics.

What people seem to fail to remember, Sir,
is that there is so much flak set up ahead of time, Sir
that every incoming President deals with all
that was before him [or someday, her] and cannot
just pick up things as they are with a clear
sheet and clean conscience.

After all, some have ducks to shoot.

Sir, All I can say during the recent vitriolic
that has survived the elections, fair or
whatever they want to call it, regardless...
a man is in the White House who has already gone through
a "so-called 30 day process of who won"; an
attack on our country;
has seen every humbug before Christmas attack
policies, precedents and priorities;...

it makes me wonder, Sir...
if each person's house that holds such truths
as that we all believe in, namely, our
Constitution, our Freedoms, our Rights...
couldn't share those beliefs...
Let the man do his job...
Knowing that every four years, we get to choose again...

Why is it, Sir...
that sometimes some will make it seem
impossible to get together for the short term?

After all, in the scheme of things, what is four years?

Sir, as Col. Pollyanna will admit, I have not
always been inclined to agree with who is sitting in
the White House.
But Sir...know this.

Each man that sat there?

Was respected by this body.

I have seen some good, some bad, come, and go...

We will never be able to please all of the people, all of the time.

Larry, if there were one of that sort alive, that could please all people all of the time, with no hidden agendas, and nothing to hide, don't you think that for a minute, the concept of Captains and Kings [circa 1972] wouldn't come true in a heartbeat?

I have a heavily sore spot in my heart that it would, indeed.

And this, I have had, since 1973.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2004-11-08 10:20 PM

"You Can't Always Have It Your Way"

And why not??? LOL. Hey, we had to sit through a year or more of political garbage, so it might take AT LEAST a full week to get rid of all that crap.

Love ya, Larry, but seriously??? I need at least twenty four more hours in recovery.

And how do you know I didn't write in YOUR name?????   

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2004-11-08 10:36 PM

LOL at Kacy...

Your sense of humor is coming to the top
once again, like fine cream!

Brava!

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
9 posted 2004-11-08 10:47 PM

Amen to that, Larry.

On election night I turned on the news and it showed people holding up signs that said "This is democracy." The reporter asked one girl what she was there for and she said it was so bush couldn't take office again. But huh? That isn't democracy.

I'm fine with people having other opinions (Most of my family voted kerry... and I would have voted bush if I was old enough... but I still love 'em!). I just wish people would shut up about it. Make a change by volunteering to clean a park... not by making your neighbor feel like he should be ashamed for celebrating on election night.

Anyway, um, yeah. What you said. lol

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2004-11-10 03:23 PM

Karilea,
Well said.Makes heaven pretty attractive if you ask me. And thanks for speaking up!

Kacy,
Well if you did I've finally figured out what your problem is! And take whatever time you need dear friend.

Karilea,
Seems Kacy gets a little serious deep in the mire of presidential campaigning! hehehe

Alyssa,
I can hardly wait until you get to vote! And thanks for your contribution to the cause. Keep it up...

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
11 posted 2004-11-10 08:52 PM

In Life, as in my poker games,
This axiom is real.
The winners sit around and joke
The losers scream out "DEAL!!"

You penned it well, Larry. Hats off to ya

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
12 posted 2004-11-11 10:07 AM

Michael! That's so true. And thanks.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
13 posted 2004-11-12 08:18 AM

http://www.nationalreview.com/issue/editors200411110832.asp
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
14 posted 2004-11-12 10:59 AM

John,
ROTFLMBO

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

15 posted 2004-11-12 07:08 PM

Might it be time for the winners to show some respect and stop laughing out loud at the losers?  

It really is too bad we have a winner-take-all system.  It mearly foments more of the same, as we are witnessing today.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » You Can't Always Have It Your Way

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary