navwin » Discussion » The Alley » has a line been crossed?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic has a line been crossed? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2004-10-27 07:54 PM

I understand there’s a major movie now
where a woman believes a 10 year old
boy is her husband returned from the dead.
In one scene she takes a bath with the boy,
in another she kisses him.

In movies we see murders, mass killings,
tortures, beheadings, etc.

However, has a line been crossed?

How about if it was a man and a 10 year old girl?

John

© Copyright 2004 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2004-10-27 08:30 PM

Yep, but it seems lines are getting crossed daily in all forms of entertainment. You just have to pick and choose what is right for you, as we cannot really censor for anyone but ourselves.
I just don't watch the ones I am uncomfortable with, especially when I have to pay the outrageous movie theatre tabs.

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

2 posted 2004-10-27 10:27 PM

How about seeing the movie before you critique (condemn?) it?
It would mean a lot more.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2004-10-28 10:33 AM

What's the name of the movie?
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
4 posted 2004-10-28 04:12 PM

the movie is called Birth, it's actually an interesting concept. a widow is approached by a boy who claims to be her late husband reincarnated. its a study of grief and our unwillingness to let go. through her contact with the boy she gets a better glimpse of her current life and the choices she's made.

as for lines drawn, might i remind you of both movie versions of Nabakov's Lolita?

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2004-10-28 06:13 PM

from a Hollywood news source, regarding this movie called 'Birth':
quote:
In the contemporary drama, Kidman plays Anna, a grieving widow who befriends a 10-year-old boy who claims to be the reincarnation of her late husband. Initially dubious, she gradually begins to believe him when he appears to know things about their relationship that only her late husband would know. Their relationship becomes something other than platonic as her defenses break down. Most controversial is a scene in which the boy (played by Canadian actor Cameron Bright) joins Kidman's character in a bathtub.

Kidman, the mother of two, says she never saw the scene as "a huge deal." Neither she nor Bright was actually nude while shooting it. "This film is not about sex," she insists. "It's about love."

Directed and co-written by Jonathan Glazer ("Sexy Beast"), the R-rated "Birth" is supposed to be a "metaphysical love story." Glazer reports that Kidman contacted him about portraying the film's heroine. "I didn't even consider her because I didn't think we could get her," says the lanky British filmmaker. "She really threw herself into (the role). Most people don't know it, but Nicole's a great character actress."

just to help clarify

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » has a line been crossed?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary