navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Let Them Die With Dignity
Open Poetry #19
Post A Reply Post New Topic Let Them Die With Dignity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia

0 posted 2002-03-25 06:08 PM

The right to die with dignity
Is such a delicate subject to discuss
But is now a part of our society
And is affecting so many of us

There are many pros and cons
The 'Right to Lifers' have the loudest voice
But those suffering a terminal illness
Surely they must have the final choice?

How dare you try and play God
You have absolutely no right
Haven't they suffered enough
They have no strength left to fight

You abhor their final decision
To put an ending to their life
But their death will not be bloody
For they won't be using a knife

Let them make the ultimate decision
To free their bodies from constant pain
They are not doing this for the attention
They are not interested in financial gain

All they ask for is your understanding
Don't make a spectacle out of their life
Keep them out of the public spotlight
No one could possibly know what it is like

Imagine if this were your loved one
And maybe then you might be able to see
That in time you will respect their decision
And allow them to die with dignity

I am not religious and I follow no religion but
that does not make me a lesser person and I
may surprise many with this admission.I may
also unsettle some people with what I have
written but it is a subject that I have felt
very strongly about for some time, epecially
as my father came close to being in this
position.I have to say that to prolong
a persons suffering and the inevitable is
inhumane and just not right.We all should
be given freedom of choice, especially when
it comes to our own lives or lack thereof.
People need to show more compassion and
a greater undertanding of this very delicate
subject and respect the wishes of those
who have simply lost all quality of life
and who are constantly in pain 24 hours
a day, 7 days a week.

Suetang

© Copyright 2002 Sue Tancheff - All Rights Reserved
Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
1 posted 2002-03-25 06:16 PM

Sue this is an excellent poem from you, each of us must at one time or another make our own choices for our own lives. I believe in quality not quantity.

Only time will tell enjoy each and every moment of you life, nothing can bring that moment in time back. Measure your time with love, and you will shine, I know it I.

Wonderful piece of writing, absolutely wonderful, it must have taken a lot of courage to post this poem and I applaud you for that as well

Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace Luke 2:79

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
2 posted 2002-03-25 06:45 PM

Sue,  you have perfectly said what many
others feel....

Yet there are still many questions from
those involved...on both sides....A hard
choice...either way it is decided...

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2002-03-25 07:17 PM

(big hugggssssssss) Oh Sue, I know just how you feel, I know this must have taken you a lot of heart to write for I too feel so very strongly over this topic. I believe killing someone with lethal injection or any other form like that teaches no one anything and is rather cruel to His ways, I believe the proper punishment is lifetime imprisonment, so that way the guilty conscience can contemplate over ones own faults and seek penitence through God and then think it over and learn to forgive and die in dignity! (big hugggsssssss) I pray that something can be done about these death penalties, sweet friend, I for one support you, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Sue, thank you for sharing, God Bless You!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Lucie
since 1999-06-20
Posts 1077
Houston
4 posted 2002-03-25 08:24 PM

The title of this drew me in.. In September of last year my husband was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Chemo and radiation will not help and they have given him three years to live. I know that someday I may be faced with this issue in a very real way.

I am many things, a Christian, a woman, a wife. I pray that when the time comes I have the strength to understand... but more then that, I pray I have the strength to let go.

Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
5 posted 2002-03-25 08:57 PM

I appreciate your comments on such a delicate subject and thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts.

Lucie
I truly hope that my words have not hurt you in any way for that certainly wasn't my intention.  I know firsthand what you must be going through as I lost my father to asbestos cancer 3 years ago.  My thoughts are with you and your family.

Take care......Sue

Suetang

[This message has been edited by Suetang (03-25-2002 09:17 PM).]

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
6 posted 2002-03-25 09:12 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, on this issue, Sue...
I think its a topic of utmost importance in today's world.
Far too many people are held hostage in their own bodies.
Thanks for sharing it.  

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2002-03-25 10:59 PM

I wish people could take away my nightmares of watching my Mother and my best friend disintegrate before my eyes, there is nothing on earth required more strength and compassion than sitting through this with someone you love.  I am sure that I am not alone and share these feelings with a lot of people that spent hour upon hour with their loved ones at the same time at that Palliative Care Unit.   We would all get to talking during the long nights to each other and all of us admitted after this experience we were definitely for euthanasia.  I remember at first three of the people who were talked to couldn't believe we were even discussing such a terrible thing, but sure changed their mind after a few weeks.    Sue, this is a controversial subject yes, but if you don’t bring up these things no changes will ever be made.  I admire you for tackling this one, and not only did you do it for “them” but you are speaking out for a change for “us”, and I couldn’t agree with you more on this subject.
Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
8 posted 2002-03-25 11:08 PM

Sue:  I think anyone who has helplessly watched someone they love die a lingering death, will totally agree with you! You have voiced this problem so well and with sensitivity!

Betty Lou Hebert

thepoeticplumber
since 2001-05-15
Posts 185

9 posted 2002-03-31 09:02 PM

I have seen people being kept alive just for the sake of keeping them alive.  It is such a hard decision to deal with.  The person hurting so wants releif.  Very well penned on such a difficult subject Sue.  Your friend always, Roger

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
10 posted 2002-04-01 12:21 PM

"How dare you try and play God
You have absolutely no right"

Sue,

If you give permission to have the plug pulled then aren't YOU also playing God? The answer is simple.  YES, you are!  Both of my parents suffered before their deaths.  It's a natural part of life.  We aren't animals that should be put to sleep when we're in pain.  We're human, we have a soul and only God has the right to determine the end of our lives, NOT us!  Though I don't agree with them, I respect your views.  Please respect mine as well.

Michael    

Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
11 posted 2002-04-01 12:50 PM

Michael

I am saddened that this has upset you for it was certainly not my intention to upset ANYONE!  I was merely expressing my point of view and don't for a minute expect everyone to agree with how I feel.  I too watched my father waste away before my eyes and if it was his wish to die with dignity well I, like the rest of my family, would not have hesitated in adhering to his wishes.  As I said I follow no religion and I am not religious but that doesn't make me a lesser person or a disrespectful person in any way.  I feel very strongly about this issue and stand by each and every word I said.  

Suetang

[This message has been edited by Suetang (04-01-2002 12:53 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Let Them Die With Dignity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary