navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » The Swan
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Swan Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2004-05-04 11:41 PM

At the request of a friend, I watched (tried to watch) an episode of the TV show "The Swan".

But I couldn't bear to watch it all. Wanting to know more about it, I surfed the 'Net for Fox's online site for the show. There were before and after pictures of the women and stories about why they wanted to go through this 'transformation'.

They have a forum there for messages so I thought I'd go read some of the reactions of other people (I was beginning to think I was nuts for feeling appalled about the concept of this reality 'show').

It was pathetic! Every other post was from some woman (I'm assuming some were fake) who wrote about their horrible problems. They wanted to be on 'The Swan' thinking it would solve those problems! Some of the stories were really sad (I hope those were the real ones). But I'm not sure that a nose job, a boob job and liposuction would fix their problems!

I also think young girls who are impressionable are going to get the wrong impression here. Surgery won't solve all the world's problems! Sure, some people have legitimate medical reasons for surgeries...that's fine.

Has anyone else seen this show?

© Copyright 2004 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
1 posted 2004-05-05 02:22 AM

I haven't seen it, but I've seen previews of it. I'm not going to watch it; I don't even watch Extreme Makeover. I've got better reality shows to waste my time on
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
2 posted 2004-05-05 02:44 AM

It's really disgusting, I agree entirely.  The show's message is potentially harmful.

Did you see the episode where the doctor was disappointed because one girl didn't want to dramatically alter the shape of her nose? (because she still wanted resemblance to her family members)  The doctor never let up, even to the end of the program, that he wished she would have let him re-shape her nose because he thought she would have looked so much better.

It just goes to show that this show isn't about what women want to look like, but what people want them to look like... it's sad how instead of throwing our standards into question, we now physically alter people towards them.

I would like to see a reality show where women are convinced to be happy with their appearances rather than something that makes plastic surgery and body modification to seem like some sort of godsend.

Just my bit of input... I'm glad I'm not the only person on the planet that feels this way though.  

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
3 posted 2004-05-05 09:16 AM

I agree, this is an "upsetting" show....I watched one because I was curious....I was not expecting such a transformation, neither girl looked the same when the Dr.s were finished....Sad too that this tells others with low self esteem that changing your looks will boost that....or make some love you more or not cheat on you....(that was the "jist" of the show) one felt her husband would not cheat on her if she looked better....I do not think TV has a real hand on reality and most of these shows should've ended when they started....

~~**~~
le vent chante avec le calme doux
calme de nuit
sien beauté sur mes lèvres
~~**~~

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2004-05-05 05:47 PM

As Sharon knows, I watch the show regularly.

I kind of have to--because my daughter watches it religiously. So we watch the show, and I'm there to discuss it with her because she's at that age of puberty and appearances are high priority for a thirteen year old girl.

She is also fascinated by the "celebrity" shows--"the fabulous lives of blah blah" and I find those just as disturbing.

This stuff ain't new.

It's always been there, dictating standards of beauty and expectation to society.

As a mother, I simply try to get my kids to think about what is being ladeled into their minds. (I also make sure they see the "surgeries gone bad" shows, too. And Michael Jackson is an obvious example, but there are many more.) After Monday night's offering, I asked Kris if she noticed how similar they all looked afterwards. I commented how sad it would be if we all looked alike.

But I have to wonder how far different is this from a need to adorn ourselves with the latest styles--drive the "right" cars--etc.

sigh.

I just had to backspace, because, giggle, of course it reminded me of a story, (and I have much more to say about this too) but right now I don't have the time.

But this sort of thing has been around since the beginning of time.

Now it's just more "in our face."

Pun intended.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2004-05-05 09:06 PM

And I'm back. Y'see I had an errand to run, and before I could go, I had to shower, shave my legs, fix my hair, put on some "bondo", (face make-up) and then because I shaved my legs, I had to put on lotion (and only Victoria's Secret will do of course--I'm particularly fond of the "pear" scent) a bit of musk, and I was almost good to go. I had to change out my purse to match my shoes, and then--THEN I ran an errand.

Ridiculous, ain't it?

But it's all part of the "show biz" of our life. Like it or not, people, all people have prejudice. Anyone who has ever applied for a job understands that we package ourselves. Our appearance is our advertisement. (We do, of course, have to follow up that promise with a PRODUCT though.)

I understand, and agree, that the mentioned show is extremely, well, extreme in its presentation. And, yep, I agreed with Sharon before she'd even seen the program that it was harmful. But I should correct myself a bit to say it's "potentially harmful".

I don't think the answer is black and white, here. I have seen firsthand the positives of plastic surgery--it did prove to be a blessing for a friend of mine who had been called "Linebacker" all of her life because she had been born with an extremely, shall we say, obvious nose.

There are people who are made miserable because of unfortunate genetics, and yes, of course, I agree that is wrong.

But one of my favorite quotes is "whatever gets you through your life". If Michael Jackson wanted to look like Peter Pan, that was, and remains just fine with me.

I think the show and results speak volumes in both directions.

The people who have an abundance of surgery end up looking, well, plastic.

And nodding, I do point out to my daughter that that result is often irreversible. And yawp, she has to tolerate my outburst offerings of info as she watches this stuff - regarding the history of custom, such as "footbinding" in Japan, and the forced flattening of forehead to pronounce nobility dating back to Ancient Egypt. (There's a lot more, but she asked me to be quiet...grin)

The mores of society have, and always will influenced the psychology of the common man.

I think that all we can truly do is to recognize that, and encourage and nurture inner qualities of both our children and ourselves that allows us all to live with the very confidence that seeds the admiration and conception of beauty that inspires our own idealizations.

So? In my home, this show is a good thing.

It allowed me and my daughter to discuss this stuff.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2004-05-05 10:07 PM

I agree that plastic surgery CAN be a good thing....but this show doesn't stop there... the women now have to compete...to be the SWAN.

I'm hoping there are a lot more parents like Karen, but there are a lot of adult women who are just as impressionable...it feeds into the most basic feminine desire. To be beautiful = being loved.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2004-05-05 11:18 PM

I'm hoping there are a lot more threads like this.

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
8 posted 2004-05-06 06:37 AM

Karen ... your comments are bang on in my opinion.  Your daughter is lucky to have a mom with such a healthy attitude to help her understand more than what she's seeing at face value.

I have watched the show as well Sharon, but more from a medical and psychological vantage.  I've always enjoyed the reality medical shows like "Trauma-Life in the ER", "The Surgeons", "The Operation" etc, but this is definately in a league of it's own.  I think I've been interested in it more because I find it fascinating to see the degree or the lengths that people will go to attain what they think will "fix all their problems". It's sad really. I think most of the contestants need a lot "more" therapy and a lot "less" surgical intervention.  

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2004-05-06 09:40 AM

I say let's check in with 'em all in five years and see how much all of this plastic really changed their lives...

Because what, after all, changed on the INSIDE?

As pointed out above, there are times and needs for certain surgeries to be performed.

But vanity surgery?  Simply to undergo a contest?  Such a sad state of affairs.

Kind of reminds me about all of the people who win the big lotteries - they had never had a real cent in their lives that didn't go to their needs, and then WHAM, they are faced with all kinds of possibilities.  But where, after a few short years, do they end up?  

Back where they started.

Karen?  You are a GREAT Mom!

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
10 posted 2004-05-06 02:39 PM

I watched bits and pieces of the show...and really feel sorry for these women...they don't even have bit of "themselves" left afterwards.

I bet if they knocked on their own doors  and their husbands/family answered... they wouldn't even be recognized.

I think it's one thing to do some corrective surgery but these women become completely different faces and bodies...so what that they are the same inside as before..isn't that what they needed to explore? Why and for whom are they trying to please...and I  could never go through the pain nor lose all that time with my loved ones..time that can never be captured again.

just my opinion..I would like to see where they all stand a year or two from now...

M

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

11 posted 2004-05-08 01:25 PM

This show really bothered me... I am a fan of the show "Ultimate Makeover", but the spirit of that show is more more positive. That show helped a man who had lost over 200 pounds have his excess skin removed, how to dress for his new body, and reunited him happily with his wife. They do lighter cosmetic things.. they fixed one woman's deformed lip, they helped a DEAF woman to hear.. Their theme is to help these people's quality of life. I think that is a good thing.

The Swan attempts to take people who, although aren't the 'most attractive', have relatively nothing wrong with them. The one show I watched disgusted me because the woman did it for her husband, who described her as 'about average, I guess...'. I don't know, I'm not the most attractive woman, but in the eyes of the man who loves me, I am beautiful, and NOT just average. These women have so many things wrong with their lives, and a new face isn't going to change anything.

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » The Swan

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary