navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » your favorite....
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic your favorite.... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

0 posted 2003-10-02 12:45 PM

words you have written?
words you have read?

© Copyright 2003 Cpat Hair - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2003-10-02 01:04 PM

for me...

the words I have written: ( smiling)
those about Iambe

the words I have read: tougher choice...
but probably "Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..."

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
2 posted 2003-10-02 02:41 PM

words i've written..hmmm i'll come back to that when i find some

words i have read, hard to narrow down.. especially any single passage. For me Siddartha,Demian and Narcissus and Goldmun by Herman Hesse all encapsulate the struggle and I am greatful for them

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

3 posted 2003-10-02 02:55 PM

yeah...I'm smiling too at your answer

of my own work...

older poems: several De'Vante writes
recent ones: my ocean inspired/"tigerboyee" writes.

now to pick one fave of all others words I have read is so very hard...so many songs lyrics and poems have influenced me...but if I have to pick one thing that has always stayed with me since first reading/hearing it....one that still gives me chills when I hear it ...I would have to choose ...

"I have a dream my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

~~
And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands."

"Free at last, free at last.

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

4 posted 2003-10-02 03:07 PM

Raph.... you are too critical I think of your own words...I've seen many I would have been proud to have written. this for example:

I greedily keep
the finest vintages
for myself
These draughts
made to savour
not swill
Revel in tastes
of sweetest fruit
Captured
perfect and decisive
as a Bresson
Aged with reverance
Revered with age

as for your chose of words read... those I can see as fitting you well....

JM... quit grinning at my answer..lol

you choice of the words you have written would have mirrored mine should I have chosen for you...

you choice of the I have a Dream speech... perfect...

[This message has been edited by Cpat Hair (10-02-2003 03:20 PM).]

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2003-10-02 03:18 PM

Words I have written??? Hmmmm.... Actually, I had to give a speech about my father some years back,for a Marine Corps League function I was attending. It took me the better part of 2 weeks to write it, however, I still didn't have the ending until the day before the speech when I firmly believe my father wrote the first couple of sentances forme to get me on the way. That speech was jsut too perfect. And for once, I wrote exactly what it was I wanted tio say, with very little editing, and there were no moments afterward of "Well, I should have said..."

Words I've read??  A poem that my grandfather wrote about living life as a postage stamp. It was about not letting people get you down. The more you lick a stamp, and the harder you try to put it under your thumb, the harder it sticks. I first read that when I was a freshman in high scholol, and a total loser... in my mind. Those words from a man who was 10 years dead helped me get through.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

6 posted 2003-10-02 03:23 PM

Ringo... having not heard or read the speech you gave for your father I can only imagine, but I know being able to say the things inside sometimes is not an easy thing... to do so in a public forum and pay homage to someone you love, that is memorable indeed.

your grandfather's poem.. ( smiling) that... I understand completely. Not because I know the poem, but because my own grandfather was instrumental in getting me through some tough time.

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

7 posted 2003-10-02 03:31 PM

Well, I'm smiling at the question and ya'lls answers.  
I just wrote a few lines that are now among my favorites, will hopefully have them ready for human absorption soon.  And favorite words I've read...will have to think on that one a bit.  

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

8 posted 2003-10-02 03:37 PM

ehh...I'll get back to you on this one

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!"
-Tool

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

9 posted 2003-10-02 04:17 PM

Eliza...I mean Liz.. you and Duncan seem to be cut from the same cloth..avoid the direct answer if at all possible and instead defer it to a time when no one knows what you are talking about.. LOL....

you two slackers....

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

10 posted 2003-10-02 05:33 PM

My favorite lines by people from here...I don't feel like telling you for some reason...

I think I'm gonna do one of my disapwiring acts for a while...

no complaining please...

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!"
-Tool

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
11 posted 2003-10-03 11:50 AM

This by Stephen Crane
undeniably the best . . .

Stephen Crane - In the desert (III)

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said: "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter - bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."
http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/stephencrane/

[This message has been edited by littlewing (10-03-2003 11:51 AM).]

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

12 posted 2003-10-03 11:56 AM

Very fine choice Sue...

now what about the words you have written?

your favorites????

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

13 posted 2003-10-03 12:29 PM

Favorite words written:

A Kiss

Shhh ... hear that? That's my heart.
A gentle muscle pumping blood around my body.
I love it when we hold hands like this,
so the sun comes up between the web of the world's fingers.
I love sharing a new kiss, a new wish.
Mmm ... your breath is so soft
sipping coffee smoking cigarettes.

I open a book of poetry
and read you a passage about love.
Poets will never understand how boring a subject that is.
I'll settle for the closeness of your touch,
the hidden watchwords of your lips,
the way your eyes act like gentle diamonds
reflecting the floating light.

I'll stay out here with you all day,
until god closes one eye and opens the other,
turns his head to watch us together.
I'll fall asleep with you asleep against me,
your hair brushing my lips, each strand
a touch in the night.

Sleep well, my other.
Sleep well and on into the day.

I whisper:
I will give you everything you'll ever need
with my kiss.
Brush the sunlight from your hair,
sink against me,
and let smoke waver from your lips.

You nod your head and close your eyes.
For now, we are here.

Favorite read:

"Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird," by Wallace Stevens.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

14 posted 2003-10-03 12:37 PM

Mikey... those words are indeed filled with the tender understanding of love and of sharing it....

as for your favorite read... I'll have to check it out, I'm not familiar with it.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2003-10-03 01:24 PM

Serenity enters jumping up and down!

Raph! RAPH!!! Y'paying attention?

""Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee...""

NOW HOW WEIRD IS THAT???

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

16 posted 2003-10-03 01:36 PM

Ser.... weird? want to explain to a dumb old country boy what it is you are talking about here????

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

17 posted 2003-10-03 01:48 PM

Stop calling yerself dumb. I never fell for that yanno.

But okay.

Raph and I had a discussion of sorts regarding "sychronicity". Just this morning I e mailed him with my latest "message from the universe." (chuckling, but not really chuckling NOW, thank you)

Recently, on a daily basis, I have been hearing the term "wake up call" EVERYWHERE.
Television, conversation, radio, etc. So the day before yesterday, I was looking through a stack of books that was being donated to Charity and I saw a copy of a book called "Wake up Call." As I told Raph, I looked up at the sky, and said "Okay. I'll READ it." But when I picked it up to give a look, I realized that another book had been put in that sleeve. There within the sleeve of "wake up call" was a copy of "For whom the bell tolls".

Now I explain further--with the increasing amount of deaths that is being experienced in my little circle of associates, there has been some speculation of "Who will be next?"
(We figure we've been averaging a death a month for the past two and one half years)

um...kinda creepy, eh? And if I should happen to be Miss October (although I am not among the bookie's favorites) it will most CERTAINLY be creepy...

and that is what is WEIRD, as defined by my admittedly already weird life.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

18 posted 2003-10-03 01:58 PM

Ser... of course the quote I used is not from the book you mention but used in the book as the title and as an introduction. The point perhaps..which I think Hemingway illustrated all too well in that particular book may indeed be a wake up call for us all...

sorry to weird you out...

now answer my questions!!!!  lol

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2003-10-03 02:05 PM

My point was the SYNCHRONICITY...and you know that. sigh and grumble. You'd think you'd take it easy on a gal, considering!

favorite words I've written?

I think I'm at a point now where I don't believe I have any--I don't like my work, and I believe I've only been half-heartedly writing for some time now.

favorite words I've read?

Easy. "I love you."

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

20 posted 2003-10-03 02:34 PM

you do an injustice to your writing... but I do understand the not feeling like you have done anything but half hearted..I usually always feel that way about my own words...

your choice of words written.. perhaps the ultimate... who would not or has not thrilled at those words??

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
21 posted 2003-10-03 02:47 PM

I'd agree with Raph on this one.. Just about anything by Hesse is amazing..

I do love Voltaire, though...and Nietzsche.. woah.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
22 posted 2003-10-03 02:55 PM

quote:
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us; that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion;that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

As for the why of my liking this, it is simply because Lincoln felt it would be forgotten.  He did not write for posterity, he wrote for the moment.  He spoke to the people, and I never forget, that We are still those people to whom he spoke.  [And, because it always makes my throat close up when I read it, even in silence...]

Don't even begin to ask what current day writers I so enjoy...I'll be here all weekend naming poets of Passions...as well as published poets who don't yet know we exist...

Of my own?  Pick one.  That's it.  If you pick it, then I'm smiling.  But I would have to say, of my own, they would be those that treat me and my throat like Lincoln's address...I can't read them aloud...because they pull the emotion up too tight.

Interesting thread, Cap'n...I'm winking at your response, as well...

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

23 posted 2003-10-03 02:56 PM

Voltaire... now there is a choice... interesting mix you have chosen..

but not an answer to the question of what are your favorite words you have written??

come now... anyone who writes as well as you, must have a favorite passage or phrase you've done...

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

24 posted 2003-10-03 02:59 PM

Sunshine... That particular address was not intended to be remembered..but lasted for the very reasons you give..it pulled the truth and the emotions to high not to.

of your own... I am surprised so few of you offer anything..a personal favorite...

seems a pity... I would have liked to know, what it was in each of you that you had written and it had been the thing you were most proud of, or that had reached inside you and represented something special...

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
25 posted 2003-10-03 03:45 PM

Damn Cpat you're too kind and that's an early one methinks..yeesh
I guess i kinda like  Sophia and the chapel Perilous and a short one, on a winter's day.

K You gotta love it no? It's amazing now if i could only get it to work for me. I'm thinking of that cute brunette with the beautiful pair of...eyes i used to know. Okay hopefully she calls me now out of the blue madly in lust with me. Yeah I know i know it doesn't work that way...sighs

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

26 posted 2003-10-03 03:51 PM

Raph.... it was an earlier one, but it still speaks well and can be thought of in layers of meaning.... the others you mention are good too....

now..as for the synchronisity... it will work for you when you open your eyes and begin to look..lol.. and not for some hot babe to be in lust with... but for what's inside and what it means..and now.. now what.
the now what question is usually the kicker...

go read Black Elk Speaks  (chuckling)
that book has been on my mind of late and maybe it is my bit of synchronisity, but it wouldn't hurt you to read it anyway.. lmao

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
27 posted 2003-10-03 03:51 PM

Ron this was a hard one...

First let me say that I am totally creeped out by what Karen had to say...and Karen?  Please watch your back..

Second, words I have written?  Well, that's not hard.."A Whisper before you Leave".  Why, because they might not be much to anyone else..but it felt like I finally said exactly what I wanted...and that felt good.

Last, words I have read:  My daughter wrote once of the year after her father and I got divorced.  In it she wrote of how I was always there for her and what a good mother I was.  I tear up just remembering...

[This message has been edited by Susan Caldwell (10-03-2003 03:52 PM).]

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
28 posted 2003-10-03 03:58 PM

Well truthfully Ron it isn't lust i was/am? madly in ...something with her. But i can't say that here i'm attempting to maintain my cold and aloof mystique man thingy..ahem..go bears!
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

29 posted 2003-10-03 04:00 PM

"So it goes", Kurt Vonnegut in Slaughterhouse Five.
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

30 posted 2003-10-03 04:16 PM

Susan... two very good choices... both personal and reflective of what is important to you.. I do like the honesty in that... thank you

raph... in something with her huh??? well my friend, then don't make it what it isn't or you deny the chance for it to be more than it is. Think of it as a subset of infinity... if you limit the subset by defining it as something it is not, then finding it is almost impossible... but since that subset is what you truly wanted to define or address, you can't, nor can anyone else because the definitions given do not allow a reference for common understanding...

Duncan... really? interesting choice.. I'm a bit surprised in some ways...

now, I already know your favorite lines..and tend to agree... some if not the best you have written...

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
31 posted 2003-10-03 04:27 PM

oh yeah..well...uh..phblllllllt  

grumblegrumble@$%&#*%&$^#$........

[This message has been edited by Aenimal (10-03-2003 04:28 PM).]

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

32 posted 2003-10-03 04:30 PM

Surprised why?
There are a couple others that I'm trying to find exact quotes of also.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

33 posted 2003-10-03 04:34 PM

lol... raph..you can tell me to go suck eggs anytime... ( or some such variation of that theme) but... ever hear of self fulfilling prophecy?
Ever think about how denying you truly want or feel ends up with you resenting and angry when the universe finally believes you..and you are denied?

your world my friend... and to some degree your reality...up to you to decide what you want in it and how you want it to turn out...
don't make the foolish mistakes so many of us have... you're too smart for that..

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
34 posted 2003-10-03 05:12 PM

Oh boy...Ron speaks the truth....

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
35 posted 2003-10-03 05:13 PM

The first poem of mine that comes to mind, probably because it did well in CA as for analysis alone,

would be the five part piece on Rainier...

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

36 posted 2003-10-03 05:32 PM

Good choice K... it was indeed well done...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

37 posted 2003-10-03 05:37 PM

"Ever think about how denying you truly want or feel ends up with you resenting and angry when the universe finally believes you..and you are denied?"

Exactly. But I don't think the universe is answering so much as simply nodding agreement with the declaration.

To state that "I want" is to acknowledge "I don't have." So therefore, if we can create our own reality by altering those doors of perception, aren't we just a contributor to our own personal pity parties.

YIKES. (Blame it on Bri and Robert Anton Wilson! I'm outta here before those words become boomerangs!)

(What am I doing here? I was just finding some solace in the existance of the duck-billed playpus!) I AM serene. Dammit.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

38 posted 2003-10-03 05:41 PM

"So therefore, if we can create our own reality by altering those doors of perception, aren't we just a contributor to our own personal pity parties."

If pity wasthe answer to I don't have or to I want.. and it was the only answer, I would agree to what you have said...
however, you assumed a pity party was the result of I want or I don't have instead of there being a posistive effort to define what it is you do not have and want..then working in a positive way to make it a reality.

your assumption places no power other than pity in the person. That I can not agree with.

"But I don't think the universe is answering so much as simply nodding agreement with the declaration"

you are splitting hairs in the semantics..a nod of agreement is an answer...

[This message has been edited by Cpat Hair (10-03-2003 05:43 PM).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

39 posted 2003-10-03 05:43 PM

says YOU.

(good thing I ducked tho, eh?)

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

40 posted 2003-10-03 05:46 PM

you deny there is another response in humans to not having or to wanting other than a self pity party?

as for the semantics..lol.. I am struggling to think of when a nod of agreement is not an answer... since it was a nod of agreement, it implies that there was agreement sought or rejection sought..

as for so says I..lol... you are now simply being a brat...LMAO

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

41 posted 2003-10-03 05:54 PM

pedantics semantics?

giggle.

I KNOW.

I'll never learn. People who are half blind and can't catch anyway should learn to leave the boomerangs alone.

Enough of these antics.

Somebody feel sorry for ME....WAH.

(I neglected to point out that the pity party was entirely SELF imposed.)

slippery stuff, language is...but then? I've a fondness for slippery stuff...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
42 posted 2003-10-03 07:53 PM

Now I've got to go back and find where Serenity really answered the initial question...

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
43 posted 2003-10-03 08:59 PM

Ron i wasn't thinking eggs either lmao
Hypothetically isn't there a cosmic need for losers? If we concur that the universe runs on balance then for every successful person there is a loser. For every person lucky enough in romance is one completely hapless and awkward. I'm just taking my place in the universal order. Stop trying to rock the order of things Ron! As in l0ve, so it blows

Grins how's that? Well written smartassery and self depreciation if i do say so myself..blaaaaah
oh look walls let's climb them....
i'm off to my friends to have a drink or 30 i'll stop whining when i get back prolly

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

44 posted 2003-10-03 09:05 PM

'oh look walls lets climb them'

sombody's got a short attention span...oh look! a rock!

-Tool

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
45 posted 2003-10-03 09:07 PM

Climbing up the walls means going crazy i thought you knew that Liz don't you have climbin boots? C ya later
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

46 posted 2003-10-03 09:13 PM

It's climbing DOWN that makes you loony.

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

47 posted 2003-10-03 09:17 PM

it all makes sense now...

or no wait...it makes no sense..it never did.

shut me up.

climbing up that waaalls.

yes...shut me up indeed.

-Tool

gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
48 posted 2003-10-04 04:32 AM

lol.

gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
49 posted 2003-10-04 04:34 AM

I'm listening to The Animals!!!! woooo yeahhhhhh!

sorry.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » your favorite....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary