navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » University tips
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic University tips Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2003-08-04 08:22 PM

Howdy!

In just 11 days, I will be venturing into the unknown! It's fun, but it's a little scary. The town that my univeristy is in isn't a huge place, but it's a lot bigger than my town... I was just wondering from all of you who have experience.. any tips for me as I begin  my freshman year in university?

PS-- if you give Music Major tips, you get extra credit!

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

© Copyright 2003 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
1 posted 2003-08-04 09:33 PM

I have no clue how to help, but I wanted to remark that this would be very helpful to know, as I have a friend who is going to be a music major in a short while...

Looking forward to hearing the replies to this!

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
2 posted 2003-08-04 09:58 PM

Hello!  My younger brother just started his first year at U of F majoring in music!  He wanted to get a jump on it, so he started this summer, and has been cramming in a couple gen. ed. courses, but in the fall, his music classes will start.  He's thrilled!  I think what's helped him a lot is being able to have kind of a "home base", and I think that can apply to anyone in that it can be wherever one feels comfortable.  He's able to go and relax and regroup.  He's been getting to know people, but he hasn't really stressed out about it, he said that he didn't want to add the stress to his already full plate.  One thing he also said helped him was getting to know the campus and finding all of the neat little areas around and about.  He's been milling about the student union, and visiting some of the local shops and things.  I think that kind of recreation has helped him to remain level, and not reach a burnout point really fast.  

I wish you all the best of luck!  Make of it exactly what you want it to be, and you can't go wrong.  

Moonlight Romeo
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-09-10
Posts 982
The heart of you
3 posted 2003-08-05 08:34 AM

The opening notes of "Somewhere, Over the Rainbow" are a Major seventh.

Thank you.

Peace is the only battle worth waging.
--- Albert Camus

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
4 posted 2003-08-05 02:42 PM

My tips are the same as anyone asking how to get to Carnege Hall... Practice, Practice, Practice... and STUDY!!!!!!!
It's all too easy to get caught up in the world of parties and drinking, and all of the fun activities that occur on college campuses the world over. Here's my suggestions for (hopeful) success:
1)ALWAYS make your studies a MAJOR priority. Don't do ANYTHING until you have completed your alloted time, and have made a little progress on your long-term assignments.

2)DO NOT get the ready mailed guaranteed credit offers. Too many people get caught up in getting the cards, and then later, they get completely hosed on the bills, and they start their adult life with bad credit.

3)Study Hard

4)Have Fun and enjoy your college experience

5)Study Hard

6)Make lots of new friends.

Hope these tips help... oh, yeah... I missed one...
Study Hard  

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
5 posted 2003-08-05 06:17 PM

It sounds like we are in a very similar boat Erica, I too am starting my first year at university, I can't wait though, I'm like two years behind the rest of my age bracket and have some catching upto do... advice?

Umm well from my experience good notes always help... oh yeah and plenty coffee for late night cramming sessions during exam time. Good luck with your course

Andy

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
6 posted 2003-08-06 01:12 AM

1) Don't get involved with a guy.
2) Don't procrastinate.
3) Don't skip class.
4) Have fun
5) Choose your friends wisely.
6) Have fun
7) If you're not a morning person, DON'T get morning classes.
8) There is NOTHING wrong with going to your first class in your pjs.
9) Study hard.
10) Give yourself at least an hour every day to spend with YOU.

It's hard to grow up and watch your friends remain in the same mindset that you left them in

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
7 posted 2003-08-06 11:05 AM

I think everyone here is forgetting one VERY important thing....

SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Let's see...let me pick out what I don't do that I know I should....

1.  Sleep
2.  Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet
3.  Sleep
4.  Take time to "refresh your memory" for a short time each day.
6.  Get to know people in your classes.  It gives you something to look forward to when you REALLY don't feel like going.
7.  Give yourself permission to miss every once in a while...but don't get carried away.  Keep yourself responsible.

I'm sure I will think of a few more...have a test to take, but I'll be back!

Failure isn't failure if a lesson from it is learned ~ KS

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
8 posted 2003-08-06 08:33 PM

Sleep? What's that? University students get that? Wow, I never managed to accomplish much of that... I'll have to work on that
KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
9 posted 2003-08-07 12:08 PM

like I said, after midnight, in a half-dozed state...

sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

lol

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

10 posted 2003-08-07 01:19 PM

Study hard, but don't be stressed
Have fun, but sleep
Make friends, but study hard...

Seriously though, thanks for the tips everyone.. just 8 days now!

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

KristieSue
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
11 posted 2003-08-07 06:35 PM

oh yeah...and don't depend on coffee or Stacker2 to keep you awake...cause it will longer than you wish! LOL

good luck!

I was up every other hour last night...finally fell asleep at 5 a.m. and had to get up at 6....

SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
12 posted 2003-08-17 06:19 PM

a bit more:

- make sure you take full advantage of teacher's aides and discussion sections. many professors know their stuff but are inept at teaching. the ta's will really get you through the first year until you learn how to learn completely on your own.

- be able to go to the parties, not have them be around you. ie, live far enough away from the hot spots that you have quiet when you need it.

- GO TO OFFICE HOURS. get to know your professors. at a medium to large school often students will become names in a grade book. get in the professors face, ask intelligent questions - you won't be sorry. some day you will want an internship, letter of recom, or need to miss a test. if your professor knows you he is more likely to help you out.

- be wary of studying with friends. study groups are fine, but with friends it often turns into more visit than study session.

-HAVE FUN!!!!

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

[This message has been edited by majnu (08-17-2003 06:19 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » University tips

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary