navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » Duet Club Question -- Let's Talk
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic Duet Club Question -- Let's Talk Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass

0 posted 2003-05-16 12:51 PM

A serious question....

If the Duet Club is organized here in the Sanctuary and the poems are posted here as well, we're limiting particpation to Senior Members. It's also likely that we're limiting the readership to ourselves alone, since it's doubtful that many new folks come in here to read.

Is that ok with everybody?

© Copyright 2003 Ed Ratledge - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2003-05-16 01:07 PM

NO!  ???
I don't think we will be banned from re-posting a 'final' version' in the main forums.
But of course, I'm not the rule maker.
Actually, I've never even done a duet.

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
2 posted 2003-05-16 01:21 PM

This is a Sanctuary-based activity.  Part of the reason it's done in Sanctuary is to draw a bit more attention to the forum.  PdV has made various attempts in the past to get this forum more active, with challenges and such, and this was originally one of them...

Besides, if we post it in Open then we're kind of flaunting a senior-members-only activity to those that can't participate, aren't we?

You're right that not a lot of people read in Sanctuary, Ratleader.  That's not a reason to post our duets elsewhere... it's a reason to post them in there to begin with.  Bring some attention to a forum that could use a little more traffic.

I also want to add the idea of restricting club "membership" to senior members alone, and why that's necessary... by doing this, we're allowing ourselves some level of certainty that the people who sign up for the Duet Club will follow through to the end... those people who are senior members, and what's more, those that happen to find Sanctuary, are probably members who we can count on being around for a while, and members who've established themselves enough to make the duet club interesting... personally, what I like about the duet club IS the idea that I can see names that I recognize, poets whose styles are distinct and well-known, and watch how an interesting pairing-up between people I wouldn't have expected to work together would turn out.

I don't want this activity to go anywhere out of Sanctuary.  This is a Sanctuary-based activity and there's good reason for it to be somewhat "exclusive."

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (05-16-2003 01:26 PM).]

Toad
since 2002-06-16
Posts 161

3 posted 2003-05-16 01:47 PM

quote:
This is a Sanctuary-based activity and there's good reason for it to be somewhat "exclusive."

I agree, otherwise you’d have people like me joining and lowering the tone.

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
4 posted 2003-05-16 02:45 PM

I have been away for so long it is hard to get to know people, since PIP has grown so. Having participation limited would help me to reaquaint myself with the poets who might remember me...lol. Or are Elite members not allowed to participate either?

Marilyn.

[This message has been edited by Marilyn (05-16-2003 02:46 PM).]

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
5 posted 2003-05-16 02:56 PM

Hah... no, it's at least senior member.  Once you have 500 posts you're welcome in Sanctuary.
Toad
since 2002-06-16
Posts 161

6 posted 2003-05-16 03:39 PM

Do you mean I’m not welcome?

[This message has been edited by Toad (05-16-2003 03:40 PM).]

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

7 posted 2003-05-16 03:43 PM

Toad...use one of your senior member names and COME PLAY... you KNOW youre welcome.
Phaedrus
since 2002-01-26
Posts 180

8 posted 2003-05-16 03:54 PM

No can do Janet – none of me have enough posts.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2003-05-16 04:00 PM

Perhaps we could make an exception based on the accumulative posts initiating from your IP?

There are many reasons for the alias assuming an alias--in fact, I am pondering the benefits of that myselves...

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

10 posted 2003-05-16 04:14 PM

Hmmmmm ....OK...well...then how bout this Phae ...I'll do a duet with ya and post it in open or where ever you like...
the moth would do anything to get to read a poem by you more than once in a blue moon!!

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
11 posted 2003-05-16 04:21 PM

We made an exception last time with Masked Intruder.  "Senior Members Only" just means people who you can count on being around, and members who've established themselves to about 500 posts or so...

Sure, if you can be counted on to actually stick around for the duration of this project, I see no reason why you can't participate... there are clearly exceptions that can be made...

As for aliases?  Hmm nope, can't say I've ever done that myself...  

~Percy Bysshe Shelley

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (05-16-2003 04:22 PM).]

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
12 posted 2003-05-16 06:10 PM

If we are trying to get this forum up and running and it is open to senior members only - then I think it should be left at that - open is for everyone and I am the last to exclude anyone from anything but as soon as they get their posting up - then they have the right to join in too - Lord knows I have posted my tootsies off . . .

I also think whoever does the duet should have the choice of posting it in Open if they choose to then

But as for the alias' hmmmm - you guys can figure that one out . . .

I will be happy to participate - just email me - would be interesting to try and write with someone I dont know very well - I have done many duets but with people I know closely . . . what a strange poem that would turn out to be . . .
xxoo

[This message has been edited by littlewing (05-16-2003 06:12 PM).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
13 posted 2003-05-16 07:26 PM

I would like to think that doing duets with someone picked randomly will help us grow as writers. And get to know someone you may not have had contact with before.

I don't like the 'exclusive' tag but Sanctuary was designed as a 'getaway' for those who acheive Senior Member status (look how easy THAT is to do now!). A forum that won't turn over 12 pages in one day..

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
14 posted 2003-05-16 08:32 PM

In My Not-so-humble opinion, I would happen to agree with the "Senior Only" tag on the duets. When I first started on here, All I wanted was to become a Non-Junior member. I knew there was now way I would ever become a Senior Member. Once I became a Member, I kept writing and writing and writing to get my title to Senior Member ( of course, I got to 400 posts before I realized that replying worked  lol). As a result, although I wouldn't include myself along the names of Misletoe Angel or serenity blaze, or Balladeer, or littlewing, or any of the others who are severely talented, I still think there should be benefits available to the Senior Members and above that the others don't have... otherwise, why would anyone work to become a Senior Member.
Just my thoughts

Day after day I'm more confused,
So I look for the light through the pouring rain...

Crazy Eddie
since 2002-09-14
Posts 178

15 posted 2003-05-16 09:02 PM

Ringo,

Are you saying that you’d rather write a duet with someone who’s posted 500 replies than someone who’s written and posted 2 outstanding poems?

Suppose Misletoe Angel, Serenity, Balladeer and littlewing had only joined yesterday, or the next Robert Frost, Shakespeare, Shamus Heaney or Dylan Thomas joined tomorrow. Would you seriously turn down a chance to write with them in favour of John Doe who’s been here since the day dot and happens to have hit the reply button 250,000 times?

I know which I’d choose.

Janet,

I’d be honoured to write a duet with you regardless where, or even if, it gets posted.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
16 posted 2003-05-16 09:33 PM

Eddie - You KNOW I'll write one with ya... But you have to agree to like what you write... I knew a "loon" once who got published...
Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
17 posted 2003-05-16 09:54 PM

well Crazy Eddie, if Robert Frost had just joined yesterday, he'd sure have something to look forward to, wouldn't he?  Soon as he had 500 posts, he could join the Duet Club.

Listen, this isn't quality control.  It's just a way to make sure that the people participating are established family members.  I know there are newbies whose talents outshine us (obviously, considering we were all newbies at some time).  

The reason Sanctuary is exclusive is so that the people who have contributed a sufficient amount to the forum are given some kind of reward... a "sanctuary" that's just for people who have been here, and been active, for quite a while.

Unfortunately there will always be exceptions.  But that doesn't mean we have to ditch the whole policy.  If you don't like it, go post 300 replies.

Then, you'll be more than welcome, right?

Parasite

~Percy Bysshe Shelley

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
18 posted 2003-05-16 11:53 PM

Actually Eddie, I have never co-written a poem before, and am looking on this as a new challenge. And to that end, I would rather write with someone known (at least slightly) to me than someone I don't know. You also, in my opinion, asked a nonsense question, and one that really does not address the statement I made. I do not say that as an insult, and I apologize if you see it as such, but that is the way I see it. If ANYONE (even you... regardless of our past disagreements or lack of Senior Member status) wanted to do a duet with me, I would be completely honored that they felt me worthy of the attempt. The idea of the Duet Club, though, should not, in my opinion, be open to the general public. Senior Members, as a rule, have been on the site for more than a few weeks, and are taking this seriously, instead of just another site that they hit a few times and wander off. We have all seen them too many times. Also, the Senior Members on here (most of them) have posted a great number of initial posts and haven't just "hit the reply button 2500,000 times". even littlewing-who  has replied to almost every posting on here- has made a great number of original posts and deserves to be here...I myself have done around 50 (I think) and am one of the slow posters.
I also happened to have noticed a couple of other things: You have been a member since 2002, and have had very few original posts on your way to not being a Senior Member. Also, you have never replied to any of my original posts, and have only slammed any of the replies that I have made to a discussion without regards to what it is I have said. I would respectfully ask that if you are not going to treat me with the respect that I have always attempted to give everyone on this site, even those with whom I disagree (except for one extreme exception a while ago) then you should not reply to anything I post on here.
So, I stand by my original statement that it should be left for Senior Members.

Day after day I'm more confused,
So I look for the light through the pouring rain...

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
19 posted 2003-05-17 12:22 PM

I'm just amazed at how much discussion seems to generate from something... anything really.

I say we get to writing and leave the idea as is.  The idea is to stretch ourselves and write, isn't it?

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

Crazy Eddie
since 2002-09-14
Posts 178

20 posted 2003-05-17 08:05 AM

Ringo,

Is it a nonsense question?

Maybe, I guess it depends on why you want to write a duet, if the reason was simply based upon wanting to write with talented poet then the question shows that the Senior Only rule is nonsense in that respect.

There are other reasons, as you and others have pointed out. Perhaps you want to write with someone you know, even slightly, does the Senior Member rule ensure this? Do you know, even slightly, all the senior members? If the answer is no then you have to admit that you could end up writing a duet with someone you don’t know, you could say – That might be true I don’t know them but they write good poetry – but that just brings you back to the question regarding talent and senior membership.

Another reason may be that Senior Membership can somehow guarantee that those who join in are going to stick around; that the number of posts is a reflection of how long a member has been a member. Unfortunately Senior Member status based on the number of posts is woefully ineffective in that regard. There are Senior Members who disappear at the drop of a hat for months on end and Members who’ve been here everyday for the last 12 months, there’s even the possibility, if your submit finger is particularly active, of racking up 500 posts in a matter of days. The title Senior Member isn’t a particularly good way of assessing membership longevity when looked at in that way, is it?

quote:
I also happened to have noticed a couple of other things: You have been a member since 2002, and have had very few original posts on your way to not being a Senior Member. Also, you have never replied to any of my original posts, and have only slammed any of the replies that I have made to a discussion without regards to what it is I have said. I would respectfully ask that if you are not going to treat me with the respect that I have always attempted to give everyone on this site, even those with whom I disagree (except for one extreme exception a while ago) then you should not reply to anything I post on here.

It would be nice if you could choose who replied to what you post here, nice but potential very monotonous and even perhaps slightly boring. People have an annoying habit of holding views that are contrary to my own and persist in posting them at every opportunity but I quite enjoy that. Ron, Brad, Stephanos, JP and a whole bunch of other people do it all the time, I don’t call it slamming I call it communicating, it may get tense but it’s always tempered with respect.

Your assertion that I’ve slammed you without regard to what you have said is wrong on two counts, I don’t slam I simply state my opinion, and I state my opinion based upon what you say not regardless of it. If you post things that I hold an opinion on then you have to accept that I may reply to them, the best I can do is suggest that if you don’t like my opinion ignore it or tell me why I’m wrong.

LP,

The fact that I could just go submit crazy and fulfil the selection criteria sort of underlines my point. You say you are rewarding people who have been here a long time but the 500 barrier patently doesn’t ensure that, in fact as I pointed out above you could just end up excluding the people you’re trying to reward.

Perhaps it’s participation you’re more interested but doesn’t that just exclude those that have less time or a different way of participating? Could you be excluding someone who has been here for years and reads but seldom replies in favour of someone who’s been here hours and doesn’t read a thing but replies to everything?

JP,

quote:
I'm just amazed at how much discussion seems to generate from something... anything really.

I agree, a great thinker once said something like “I consider a good discussion to be its own form of poetry”, I can’t for the life of me remember who it was but I definitely agree.

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
21 posted 2003-05-17 10:32 AM

Yes, a great thinker he was, ah... er.. IS I mean!

I'm guess I'm just frustrated that something so simple and potentially so much fun has to be bandied about insecently.  I've always felt that if you don't like the rules of a game, choose a different game to play, and if you don't have anything nice to say, say it a pleasantly as possible...

...and before this becomes a chance for the congregation to pummel a rapidly decomposing horse... I am out of this particular thread...

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
22 posted 2003-05-17 10:55 AM

As am I...

Crazy Eddie, it seems that you're really just struggling to prove your point instead of actually trying to see things any other way than you already do.  That shows me that you're not worth arguing with.

I'm out of this thread.

~Percy Bysshe Shelley

Crazy Eddie
since 2002-09-14
Posts 178

23 posted 2003-05-17 12:02 PM

quote:
I've always felt that if you don't like the rules of a game, choose a different game to play, and if you don't have anything nice to say, say it a pleasantly as possible...

JP,

I did choose a different game, I chose to voice my opinion in a thread that included in its title “Lets Talk” I believe I’ve done that calmly and rationally or as you described it –as pleasantly as possible.

LP,

I wasn’t trying to prove any point I was just voicing my opinion and I definitely wasn’t struggling. I’ve looked at this from all sides and can’t find any good reason why this duet idea has to be restricted to Senior Members only and several good reasons why it shouldn’t be.

I may well be “not worth arguing with” but if that’s the case why not blow a few holes in my arguments by giving me some valid reasons that make sense instead of a blank refusal to discuss it.

Being “not worth arguing with” has to be better than not being prepared to defend your argument.

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
24 posted 2003-05-17 12:51 PM

quote:
The fact that I could just go submit crazy and fulfil the selection criteria sort of underlines my point.

If it's so easy to do that, then GO DO IT.  No, I'm serious, go read 300 poems, offer 300 comments on them, and maybe you'll be able to appreciate the effort required to amass 500 posts total in piptalk.

The so-called "good reasons" are nothing but minor problems with the Senior Members Only policy.  What does Senior Members Only ensure?  It ensures that the people who post here will be people who have pressed the "submit" button at least 500 times.  If we were to go by joining date?  Well, we'd have no way to account for the level of activity of the people posting.  We might well have someone who joined last year and has only posted about 20 times, and thus, isn't exactly too reliable for participation in the Duet Club.

You're also discussing the "Senior Members Only" policy as though it's something directly characteristic of the Duet Club.  That's not the case.  It's a characteristic of Sanctuary.  The Sanctuary forum is exclusively reserved for people whose posting activity has been demonstrated by way of posting at least 500 replies or poems.

What Senior Member Status doesn't tell us is NOT the issue here, Eddie.  What it DOES tell us is that whoever has 500 posts MUST be a reasonably active member of piptalk, or at least, must have been sometime in the past.  It means that they've met some minimum requirement necessary to be allowed access to a forum set aside exclusively for people who have contributed that much.

The Duet Club is an activity for people in Sanctuary.  The Senior Members Only policy isn't something that was created for the duet club... it is simply the quality that makes Sanctuary distinct from any other place in piptalk.  Our duet club activity is something concieved by the people in Sanctuary.

Sanctuary isn't a large community, and that's why the Duet Club is something realistic for us to be able to concieve and manage.  If it were open to everyone, as it seems like you are suggesting, more problems would be created than solved.  Too many eager participants would be randomly paired off with people who sign up and don't stick around to complete.  We have no reason to try and take this anywhere other than where it is.

Your whole argument is based on refuting the idea of restricting the Duet Club to Senior Members only.  What you don't realize is that Senior Members Only is the policy of Sanctuary, and the Duet Club is something that exists within Sanctuary... it's not a rule we invented for the club.  And even if it were, I'd still see no problem with it... all that 500 minimum post requirement tells us is that people have contributed a reasonable amount.

You want me to listen to any more of your minor problems with our conception of the Duet Club as a Sanctuary activity, or the restriction of Sanctuary to Senior Members Only, then you'd better be willing to show me some kind of reasonable solution.  Otherwise you're just being a pest, and that's why, as I said before, you're not really worth arguing with.  I'd blow holes in your argument, if there was any reason to listen to your argument in the first place.  So, what's your brilliant alternative to Sanctuary's policy, Eddie?  Let's hear it.

~Percy Bysshe Shelley

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (05-17-2003 01:18 PM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
25 posted 2003-05-17 01:15 PM

LOL at some of this.
Why the banter? I'm all for moving forward, into the ACTION/WRITE phase.
Thanks for clarifying some Q's, LP.
Now, who do I get to write with? They'll need a bizarre sense of humor.

Crazy Eddie
since 2002-09-14
Posts 178

26 posted 2003-05-17 02:35 PM

Glad to see you’re back LP.

quote:
Go do it

I’ve been there and done that.

I’m fully aware that the 500 post rule is a Sanctuary rule and not directly a Duet Club rule but the original question posted was should the Duet Club be limited to Senior Members. Your answer seems to be that as the application for the Duet Club is in the sanctuary it has to be only open to Senior Members. My question is why, what are the positives of applying it and how do they measure against the negatives?

You keep saying that posting 500 times proves that people will stay around long enough to finish the duet, I maintain it just proves that someone has posted 500 times.

If you wanted a suggestion from me about Sanctuary access you should have asked. My opinion is that the Sanctuary should be open to all members (it is anyway the Senior Members only status isn’t enforced) but the number of originating posts should be restricted to promote a quality rather than quantity ethos.

quote:
What Senior Member Status doesn't tell us is NOT the issue here, Eddie. What it DOES tell us is that whoever has 500 posts MUST be a reasonably active member of piptalk, or at least, must have been sometime in the past. It means that they've met some minimum requirement necessary to be allowed access to a forum set aside exclusively for people who have contributed that much.

As I’ve mentioned the number of posts next to a username doesn’t actually tell you anything with any degree of certainty about the user apart from the fact that they’ve hit the submit button 500 times. I understand though that the Sanctuary itself has by definition to be just that – a Sanctuary from the hectic nature of Open and that the number of posts is one, arguably flawed, option to restrict the pace. I simply believe that applying the same restriction to the Duet Club makes even less sense and highlights the absurdity of the Senior Member rule in general.

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
27 posted 2003-05-17 03:12 PM

quote:
If you wanted a suggestion from me about Sanctuary access you should have asked. My opinion is that the Sanctuary should be open to all members (it is anyway the Senior Members only status isn’t enforced) but the number of originating posts should be restricted to promote a quality rather than quantity ethos.

That's what Corner Pub is for.

quote:
You keep saying that posting 500 times proves that people will stay around long enough to finish the duet, I maintain it just proves that someone has posted 500 times.

You seem to stop at the having-posted-500-times thing and assume that the extreme minority of people whose 500 posts are NOT valuable posts should make the Senior Members Only rule somehow absurd?

Look at the people involved in the duet club right now.  Most of them have many, many more than just 500 posts.  

What does having 500 posts tell us?  As I've already told you various times, it's a minimum requirement.  It tells us that people have made 500 posts, each of which either signified the reading or writing of a poem at piptalk, or a comment made in a discussion forum here.  Any person who has 500 posts has done that.  Of course there will be people with less than that who are better poets, who are more productive members, but how are we supposed to regulate that?  I think going by post count is probably the best way, even if there are some extremely minor problems with it.

You seem to think that post count says nothing about a person.  I say that each individual post says one thing about a person - they wrote a poem, they read and took the time to make comments on a poem, they participated in a discussion at piptalk.  It tells what they have done.  

Right now it seems like you've gone back into your old habit of making the same point over and over regardless of how many times we've refuted it.  

quote:
Glad to see you’re back LP.

Don't flatter yourself, Eddie, I'm not back to argue with you.  I'm back because I believe in the policy of Sanctuary and don't like to see it called things like "absurd."

~Percy Bysshe Shelley

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

28 posted 2003-05-17 03:31 PM

All I wanna know is?

Where is Ringo?

*pout*

Disappointed with yer date?

and here I am flailing my fringe to no avail!

*wicked grin*

Y'can consider that a challenge phrase if ya like!

Crazy Eddie
since 2002-09-14
Posts 178

29 posted 2003-05-17 03:51 PM

LP,

The Corner Pub differs in that it’s a poetry forum whereas the Sanctuary is a category or area consisting of the Poetic Haven and Family Dialogue forums, both of which are “hidden” forums whereas the Pub is openly advertised in the menu system.

Though if you turned the Sanctuary into a forum, moved it onto the main menu and allowed all members to post there then yes I’d agree it would be exactly the same as the Corner Pub.

I’m not trying to change the world or even the way the Sanctuary works the question was raised as to whether the Duet Club should be open to all members. I thought it should be but if you’ve decided the answer is simply no then I’ll do what I’ve done up to this point and live with it. That doesn’t however mean I’ll suddenly stop thinking it’s absurd however much you dislike my opinion.

I’ll keep my trap firmly closed and my opinions to myself from now on and let you get on with your duets.

I look forward to reading them.

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
30 posted 2003-05-18 12:42 PM

If anyone would like to start a Duet Club outside of the Sanctuary, why not do it instead of all the discussion? and..YES..I KNOW..this was a discussion thread..no problem, but it seems like instead of focusing on the benefits at Passions in general lately, there are those focusing too much on negative nitpicky things. It almost seems as if some are more interested in battling some invisible and imagined popularity war.

The Duet Club has been started for Senior Members. If it is important enough to argue  about who should be involved, then take action...Start another club in the talk forum outside of the the Senior Members area. And before anyone asks...yes I'll participate outside of the senior member area just as much as I do outside of the senior member area.

LP..
sorry if I seem to have hijacked this with my comments. All this arguing just for the sake of arguing around Passions lately is just plain getting on my nerves.

We can't do a senior member duet club without someone getting their feathers in a fluff? I just don't get it.

You could hurt me with your bare hands. You could hurt me using the sharp edge of what you say. JEWEL

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
31 posted 2003-05-18 12:57 PM

You'll notice I haven't commented once, after poking my little stick into the anthill and saying "let's talk"..... just sitting back and watching 'em run round in circles, and hoping none crawl up my pants leg.....

Heh-heh....let's YOU talk......

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
32 posted 2003-05-18 01:12 AM

I'm an aunt can I crawl up your leg?

Oh..wrong kind of ant and this isn't the flirting thread!! Sigh...

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
33 posted 2003-05-18 08:02 AM

Hey Eddie - Anybody ever tell you you're a bit of a Crazy coof?... Gotta get my daily dose of sniggles somehow...
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
34 posted 2003-05-18 08:14 AM

......that depends....do you tickle?

Nan, how odd, one of my real-world nicknames forever has been "Crazy Ed..." more than one of us, I see.....

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
35 posted 2003-05-19 12:33 PM

I don't get it either. . . would someone kindly explain it to me???

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

sea_of_okc
since 1999-06-15
Posts 568
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
36 posted 2003-05-19 12:58 PM

Sigh. I would like very much to participate in a slower forum than Open rooms but alas I have not posted enough. I guess being here and there since almost the inception of this site is not sufficient to be a senior member. Guess I need to post replies to 80 more poems so I can come play with ya'll.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
37 posted 2003-05-19 01:15 PM

Mr. Sea of OKC, I grant you admittance to the Senior Forum!

POOF! You've definitely been around long enough to qualify TIME wise...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

38 posted 2003-05-19 01:55 PM

I guess I'll be sitting this dance out folks.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
39 posted 2003-05-19 03:19 PM

IS your partner backing out? I'll write with you or you can write with Steve (okc). I thought Ringo was set to go...
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

40 posted 2003-05-19 03:28 PM

Ser...e-me...
we'll tell a story together if you want..

Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
41 posted 2003-06-04 12:56 PM

I may be a little late... probably am... that always happens... but anyway..

Could I still join duet club?  Or is it too late for me?  Is there going to be a duet club?

I'm confused.

[This message has been edited by Allysa (06-04-2003 12:59 PM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
42 posted 2003-06-04 02:05 PM

Siofra...you ever going to get back to me...ball's in your court, remember?

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (06-06-2003 08:52 AM).]

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
43 posted 2003-06-05 02:26 PM

Is it too late for me to join this club? I'm a lil confused but I'd like to join if it's not too late
Luv, Liz xxx

"Gorge the honey from life, and live through the stomach aches knowing they will pass..." ~Liz Pinard 2003~

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
44 posted 2003-07-26 02:43 AM

Well ya'll. I don't do duets (I don't think I'm good enough to write duets), but I sure do like to read the ones everybody else does. Whatever happened to this "duet club" ya'll were going to start? If it's still on, where are the duets being posted? I'd like to read them. I've seen more duets in Open lately, but they say they're from the "Dream Duet" challenges where people pick who they want to duet together. Is that the Duet Club? I'm just wondering.

And, I'd like to comment on what Temptress said....it seems like a lot of bickering has been going on lately...about all kinds of things?? In almost every thread that's started??

The challenge that Karen brought back (the I AM challenge), has had the most response of anything I've seen since I've been on here. Maybe something like that could be started back here? Something that people like me who can't (or don't know how to) do duets could participate?

I'm beginning to like this Sanctuary. It's fun to read back here.

Bye ya'll. It's time for me to go to sleep.
Hugs  
Ethel

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

45 posted 2003-07-26 07:42 AM

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
46 posted 2003-07-26 09:06 AM

Ethel, I would love to write with you, if you ever feel the need . . .
it is an adventure indeed

Go see challenge - I think you will like that one

Also, most of these duets you speak of are in Sanctuary - just go back days . . .

[This message has been edited by littlewing (07-26-2003 09:08 AM).]

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
47 posted 2003-07-26 11:42 AM

LOL to GG! If you're not good enough, nobody is!

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
48 posted 2003-07-26 05:54 PM

I owe Martie an apology, after a couple of mails I failed to respond, even after the gentle prodding from a friend. I guess this is an excuse more than anything but I read what you had written and I felt intimidated and I guess I just thought that if I didn't reply to your mails then the problem would go away. Know that I have had time to take a look at the problem I have seen what I lack at the moment and I am working on improving that part of myself. So I just want to apologise with big hugs and say sorry for not replying to your mails

Andy

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
49 posted 2003-07-26 11:00 PM

Hey Andy...whenever you're ready, or not..it's okay.  I appreciate the apology...not always an easy thing to do.  Hugs!
suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
50 posted 2003-07-26 11:40 PM

ROFL @ PDV being a crawling aunt... that could get interesting! LOL

Moot point for me... Only one person has ever been crazy enough to write with me... and that person all but left PIP shortly afterwards? LOL I can't risk losing more members! *G*

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
51 posted 2003-07-27 11:19 AM

Hey suthern lady!
I'm brave enough, maybe not a good enough writer but it'd have to wait until after my vacation and 're-establishing myself' here.
LOL, so howz 'bout late August (2003)sound?
YOU can pick and start it...and ANY topic will be OK with me.
'twould be a VERY GREAT honor

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
52 posted 2003-07-27 04:28 PM

Considering that I have the courage of a squashed slug, that time frame should give me time to dig my ostrich head out of the sand. *S* And the honor would be mine... just hope you have patience with my inadequacies! *S*
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » Duet Club Question -- Let's Talk

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary