navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » New Authors that unexpectedly grabbed your attention...
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic New Authors that unexpectedly grabbed your attention... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL

0 posted 2003-04-27 03:46 AM

Okay, by New Authors, I mean authors that are new for you to read and authors that you have recently read books by that aren't usually on your list of favorites.

The last author I read that wasn't on my usual list was Jacqueline Carey.

She has a trilogy (which I actually hope she keeps adding to)

Kushiel's Dart
Kushiel's Chosen

The third one just recently came out and I have yet to buy it. It is in hardback.  Kushiel's Chosen just came out in paperback, but I already read it when it was out in hardback.

Anyway, that was my first dip into Fantasy, and honestly, I haven't found anything else that I am as fascinated by in the Fantasy section yet.  

I really don't think you'll be dissappointed in this author.

You could hurt me with your bare hands. You could hurt me using the sharp edge of what you say. JEWEL

© Copyright 2003 Jennifer - All Rights Reserved
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
1 posted 2003-04-27 03:50 AM

In other reading news, I just finished "False Memory", by Dean Koontz. A friend in Gulfport gave me the book before i left. He can do the same kind of subjects over and again, but the suspense is wonderful, and the dialogue of the characters is always amusing to me.

You could hurt me with your bare hands. You could hurt me using the sharp edge of what you say. JEWEL

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
2 posted 2003-04-27 03:51 AM

and here is where you can find out about Jacqueline Carey and her books.

http://jacquelinecarey.com/

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
3 posted 2003-04-27 04:43 PM

temptress-i just read false memory too, it was really good... not my type a book through.

(¨`·.·´¨) (¨`·.·´¨)
  ·.¸(¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´
     *`·.¸.·´*

Love Always,
Marrie

I TAWT I TAW a puddy CAT!

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
4 posted 2003-05-20 12:37 PM

yes. . . Jacqueline Carey is amazing. . . the books are just so well written . . . I can't wait to read the next one. . .

but, I've been reading something by another writer, Sharon Shinn. . .it's about a place called "Samaria" on a planet that is settled by a race of people and overseen by a "god" called "Jovah". . . there are mortals, angels, and oracles. . . the first book of the series is called "Archangel", and I would tell you to go out and get it. . . you'll find it quite fascinating. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
5 posted 2003-05-20 01:59 PM

Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" series

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
6 posted 2003-05-20 02:01 PM

I don't read many "new" authors, I admit... although my mother is reading Kushiel's Dart at the moment.  If you want some neat fantasy, try Terry Brooks' "Running with the Demon" series  It's light, and I read it many years ago, but I still remember liking it quite a bit.. and my mother liked it too, so you never know...

Right now I'm reading John Milton's "Paradise Lost."  It's really good, actually... I'll probably end up reading more of his stuff.

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
7 posted 2003-05-20 05:47 PM

LP..
Is your Mother enjoying Kushiel's Dart? I'd like to hear some of her thoughts on it if you could find out for me.

Sven..
The next book? You must mean the second one, eh? Fear not... Your wish will be granted soon.

Thanks for the suggestions and answer everyone.

Jacqueline Carey is my first venture into Fantasy. I'm very picky, and reluctant to read anything else in the Fantasy section.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
8 posted 2003-05-20 09:51 PM

Temptress... they're not really "new" per say, but David Eddings and Anne McCaffry are excellent in my opinion

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
9 posted 2003-05-21 12:40 PM

I just couldn't get "into" the Wheel of Time. . .and, now that I see it's on like, book 12 or something like that. . .perhaps, I'm glad that I didn't. . .

but, I didn't do any better and totally got into Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. . .and, I think book 8 of that is due out next month. . . LOL

LP, "Paradise Lost". . . good choice. . .and yes, there is a "Paradise Found". . .

Temptress, yes. . . I mean the second one. . . you know. . . Kushiel's Chosen??  hmmmm??  still waiting for that genie. . .

and. . . why are you reluctant to read fantasy??

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
10 posted 2003-05-21 12:44 PM

Sven... isn't it Paradise Regained?  That's what I've heard... oh well, maybe I'll read that one next.  I have a HUGE reading list right now.  

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » New Authors that unexpectedly grabbed your attention...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary