navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » The Going Off To War
Open Poetry #17
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Going Off To War Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri

0 posted 2001-12-07 02:43 PM

I remember how I cried
While he was packing his bags
The thoughts of him leaving
Were too real then
As I watched him place
His belongings into his duffle bags

Tears flowed warm down
My newlywed cheeks
Reality had set in
Six months of marriage
Time enough for me to know..
That I wanted to hold onto him forever
Now he soon would be leaving
Not an ordinary departure
But the going off to war

Would he come home again?
Only God knew the answer
And He also understood why I cried

© Copyright 2001 Marcia Estep - All Rights Reserved
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
1 posted 2001-12-07 03:15 PM

How sad, Songbird. You wrote your emotions very well into this. Hope everything turned out all right.  

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
2 posted 2001-12-07 11:20 PM

Ohh...a sad start, Lady, but I would love to see more. Please do go on with the story. It could be a series for you.  

Your storm of assumption feeds anger I am calm enough to hold inside. Don't pretend to know me if you've never put stretched out your heart with since

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2001-12-07 11:28 PM

(big hugggsssssss) Oh Songbird, I burst in tears reading this, it must have been so sad to see your father go then, as it was sad to leave you behind for a while! (sigh) I am so happy now you are with him again and he is safe and you continue to share your love with him! (sigh) Sooooo sad but touching, sweet friend, I love it! (big hugggsssss) You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Songbird, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
4 posted 2001-12-08 12:33 PM

*sigh* my heart breaks with understanding of the pain of parting in this poem. My heart goes out to anyone who has to send a loved one off to war. **big hugs**

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Hypnosis
since 2001-12-02
Posts 325
CO
5 posted 2001-12-08 01:04 AM

I probably will soon feel like this, so I will understand.  I mean not to war, but to basic training.  I joined the NAtional guard and will be gone for 7 months from my loved ones.  But I will be back.  Tears will flow, sadness will take effect.  Great poem!!

Randy Meador

a life lived unexplored is a life not worth living.

Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
6 posted 2001-12-08 09:57 AM

Thank you all for your comments..this was 32 years ago.. and the first time I had ever written about it.. Unbelievable how the memory is so vivid in my mind. and yes Thank God he did come home..and he is with me to this day. I know there are many others who were not as fortunate and my heart goes out to them.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » The Going Off To War

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary