navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » Before We Burn the Heartbreakers
Open Poetry #17
Post A Reply Post New Topic Before We Burn the Heartbreakers Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Siofra
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-28
Posts 551
State of Suspended Passion

0 posted 2001-11-30 07:34 PM

I'm in love with everyone.
Didn't you know?
I'm trailing men like a deviless
just biding my time to capture their hearts
and steal them from their promised ones.
I'm a heady heart stealing, funloving
getting around to your man sort of woman.
Right?
But what if he isn't yours?
What if he never was?
Can you lay claim to a heart
you didn't bother to nurture?
Where does heartbreak and love theivery
cross over into unhappy hearts searching
for what they sought and thought they had in you?
What part of your life did you shut him out of
that caused him to run to someone who would love him the way you promised to?
Just lay it down, Lady
and let the sting of loss you caused
wash over you for a while,
then release your grip
for he is not yours if he loves you not.
And for goodness sakes,
move on.
No one calls you a monster because you made mistakes,
but seperate your mistakes from your tendency to judge so quickly, others who could make him happy.
Stop listening to all the condemning finger pointers
who burn heartbreakers at the stake
before realizing they really had a saint
standing nude and raked with pain in front of them.
Consider your option to be human
and release what may not belong to you
what may have never belonged to you.
Consider that you are holding a heart that writhes to be let go.
Consider that even if you aren't letting go,
that heart is whispering
slipping, even
through the tightest of your grips
even if it hangs itself on the way down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
everyone must realize that in no way is this poem representative of any part of my life at this time. Just trying for a different viewpoint here. I certainly hope it convinces someone!  

I am many.

[This message has been edited by Siofra (edited 11-30-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Siofra - All Rights Reserved
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

1 posted 2001-11-30 07:56 PM

This is very interesting.  I don't think I've read you before.   You sure had me convinced!
Good write!

Kathleen (Kay)
"When red-haired girls scamper like roses over the rain-green grass, and the sun drips honey."
Laurie Lee

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2001-11-30 08:08 PM

What an excellent, not to mention controversial, topic for a poem. it's always interesting to play devil's advocate and view a situation from the other side and you have done it very well. This is a feather-ruffler  
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
3 posted 2001-11-30 11:42 PM

wow. . . it looks like you've just come out here with this one. . .

definitely a different view. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2001-11-30 11:46 PM

It seems to me that you are assuming that the women were the only ones at fault and this is not always the case...in a failed relationship perhaps the men are equally at fault and you will not in fact be receiving an angel as they run from her arms to yours...I know nothing...James
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2001-12-01 12:37 PM

Well, Siofra, you have said much in here that may have the element of truth is some situations.  If someone really feels "trapped" in an unloving relationship they should just walk away, without involving third parties, male or female. A well written brave post on a touchy matter.  
Siofra
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-28
Posts 551
6 posted 2001-12-01 12:48 PM

Irish Rose,
Convinced of what?   Thanks for your time in reading this.

Balladeer,
Thank you for reading, and I am glad to know you think I accomplished something here.

Sven,
Yes, indeed. I just came right out with it. It is a different, and very realistic view in my opinion. Just trying to show the other side of a many sided story.  Trying to show people not to be so quick to judge. *sigh* I could only hope.

James,
Well, the poem caused some thought, which is what I meant to do with it at least.

***"It seems to me that you are assuming that the women were the only ones at fault and this is not always the case..."

Actually, this poem doesn't assume in general. It talks about when the women or what if the women ARE the ones at fault.  

"in a failed relationship perhaps the men are equally at fault..."

Perhaps they are, but once again this poem talks about when the women are at fault. Also, in perhaps very rare cases, one does their best while the other never tries.  Being equally at fault once it ends has more to do with both being equally at fault for giving up on the whole thing in my opinion.  There is always a cause. There is always an effect. One has to happen before the other.  

"and you will not in fact be receiving an angel as they run from her arms to yours..."

None of us are ever truly angels. We can let our good side prevail in our lives, but never are we angels.  People make mistakes. Should we condemn them for the rest of their lives for feeling like they made a mistake in love and need to be happy? Personally, I would never judge a man too quickly if he ran from another woman's arms to mine, especially in the case that I state in my poem above.  We are different with everyone we know. Some people bring out the bad in us so we leave and find someone who will bring out the good in us...and work then to sustain that goodness..concentrate on it..and make it the driving force in another relationship.

Okay..this is going to get me in trouble and in discussion.   Thanks for your thoughts. I hope you don't take my points as harshly argumentative. They aren't..not harshly so at least.  

:waving:

I am many.

Siofra
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-28
Posts 551
7 posted 2001-12-01 12:49 PM

Ohh..and in case anyone missed it, the beginning of the poem was to have the tone of sarcasm, so the lady isn't really a man stealer. lol!    

[This message has been edited by Siofra (edited 12-01-2001).]

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
8 posted 2001-12-01 01:04 AM

Interesting write. I'm with Kacy, people should just leave if they aren't happy. I was in that situation, and decided to leave. I had no interest in running to someone else's arms....I just wanted my own back. Good poem though, causes us all to think.

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Domzi
since 2001-09-08
Posts 288
New York (BK)
9 posted 2001-12-01 01:24 AM

Great poem for such a touchy topic. You were brave enough to write about it, and I can respect your bravery.

Poetry is spiritual ventilation!

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
10 posted 2001-12-01 07:20 AM

Don't worry, poetess.   One of the wonderful things about this place is that people can post feelings and air their own opinions without bending noses out of shape as long as it is not a personal attack, which your post certainly isn't. I think there is more than a bit of tongue-in-cheek here and, combined with a topic that certainly provokes thought, it becomes an excellent poem  
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

11 posted 2001-12-01 10:59 AM

oh, I meant convinced that this was reality for you! That's how good the piece was!  

Kathleen (Kay)
"When red-haired girls scamper like roses over the rain-green grass, and the sun drips honey."
Laurie Lee

Siofra
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-28
Posts 551
12 posted 2001-12-01 04:13 PM

Midnitesun,
Yes..perhaps people should "just walk away" but how many of we humans find that so easily done as it is said? I would say many of us find it very difficult, and sometimes people like to hold people reign people in with many different situations.  Could be the one who is loosing refusing to let go, using guilt against the one who wants to leave..could be many other things. Yes..it would be better if we just walked away when we aren't happy, but it isn't always readily possible..and are we to loose ourselves as we wait and wait on the right time to be happy? And sometimes...third parties are the ones who slap us in the face..saying..HELLO! I know you're not happy! but what if those third parties still respectfully remain at a distance and still the relationship deteriorates?  

Tracy,
   lol..see above comment..and. You may not have had an interest, but we are all different...and all handle things differently. We all want things others wouldn't want. Some of us are to the point in our lives when we feel we need a break from having relationships so that we may find ourselves on our own again. Some just find what was truly meant to be after years of settling and or fooling themselves into believing they are happy.

Domzi,
Thank you for reading. Yes, it is a touchy point, but as far as bravery? I suppose I am brave in some way, but no more than every other poet here. Is it not brave to pour out your soul for people with words? I write what is on my mind and in my thoughts..and sometimes in my heart...rawly so, and I would expect no less from any other poet wherever and whoever they might be.

Balladeer,
Thanks for coming back.   Yup. I love it here!  

Irish Rose,
lol..   Thanks for the clarification.     I hope you didn't think I was getting short with you. I wasn't.  

[This message has been edited by Siofra (edited 12-01-2001).]

Robert A
since 2001-10-29
Posts 174

13 posted 2001-12-18 10:30 AM

OMG I love this, you are a wild woman
ok, I'm being silly but please write more!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » Before We Burn the Heartbreakers

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary