navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » The Homeless Child
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Homeless Child Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

0 posted 2001-10-28 04:46 PM

The Homeless Child

A look of hunger crossed her face
Eyes filled with sorrow and tears
Could this night be erased
Would she always have these fears

Her dark brown eyes searched in vain
wondering if her Mother would return
Hunger was giving her knots of pain
The growing darkness was causing concern

In the dark shadows she hid herself
hoping her Mother would soon be back
She wondered why some had great wealth,
while others’ possessions filled a sack

The cold air was biting at her skin
She could no longer feel her feet
She stood waiting in a dress so thin
wishing she had something warm to eat

The night wore on; she fell asleep
covered by a pile of ragged clothes
Rain fell and over her body did creep
God took home this precious rose

Written by Wanda

© Copyright 2001 Wanda - All Rights Reserved
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
1 posted 2001-10-28 05:02 PM

Truly an enjoyable and well written piece,
Thank you for sharing.

Gloom

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2001-10-28 05:05 PM

A timeless piece - any nation - any time...

thank you.

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

3 posted 2001-10-28 05:16 PM

Professor Gloom; This is a national problem, and the children are the most vulnerable to this problem of homelessness. I wrote this poem to remind people of the problem.  Thank you for your reply to this poem. Wanda
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

4 posted 2001-10-28 05:18 PM

Sunshine; No doubt this is a problem in every country.  Tragically, so many children are involved in homelessness. Wanda
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2001-10-28 08:31 PM

Wanda, you are a wonderful soul, and it shines through your poetry with compassionate force. This sad scene is part of too many realities, all around the world. This planet is rich  with many resources, and there really is no good reason for children to be homeless or hungry. Thank you for speaking out for the ones who cannot speak.

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (edited 10-28-2001).]

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
6 posted 2001-10-28 08:50 PM

As if this poem wasn't sad enough, that last line nearly had me in tears. You certainly do know how to remind us of the plight of others. Thank you. Sometimes we need the reminder

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
7 posted 2001-10-28 08:52 PM

Powerfully penned, Wanda ~ the last verse brought a tear to my eye ~ thank you for writing this compassionate piece  

This is a keeper!

Take care,
Melissa~

"Poetry is not an opinion expressed...
it is a song that rises from a bleeding
wound...or a smiling mouth"

~Kahlil Gibran~

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
8 posted 2001-10-28 08:55 PM

W.  today is obviously a day of feelings about our children.  I hope your grands were
with you.  I know you must have given them
a million hugs.  Yes, mine are precious too.

I cried at the end of this poem.  I think you
posted this once before....I know I had to
have cried then as well.

Sadly so true,  sadly so true.

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

9 posted 2001-10-28 09:09 PM

Midnitesun; I agree with you whole heartedly, there is no excusable reason for children to be hungry or homeless.  I do appreciate your kind words.  Wanda
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

10 posted 2001-10-28 09:12 PM

When you speak of the Homeless, there is an urgency that must be seen.  A homeless child is easy prey for all sorts out there.  As if the hunger is not enough, there are the elements, the lack of cleanliness, the lack of schooling and the list goes on and on.  I felt I must paint the picture so bluntly, one could not miss the urgency of the problem.  Thank you for your reply.  Wanda
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
11 posted 2001-10-28 09:15 PM

This was excellent but I really can't comprehend in this day and age, why there are children going homeless or hungry.  However, this will forever be something that be see, and I don't know what the solution is but I sure wish there was one.  "And God took home this precious rose" happens far too often.  Thank you for this Wanda.

~*~  Carpe' Diem  ~*~

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

12 posted 2001-10-28 09:15 PM

Melissa, As I explained to Tracey, I felt I needed to paint a picture that truly speaks of the plight of the homeless child.  I wanted to be a voice for them; there needs to be many voices for them.  Wanda
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

13 posted 2001-10-28 09:20 PM

Magnus; Last week end was the time our grands were here; and yes, we hugged and kissed them many times over.  What a wonder they are. We are so grateful they are moving closer to us.  Hopefully, we will be able to see them more often.  Yes, I have posted this poem before at another forum.  I was so sad when I wrote this poem last Feb. I may have told you we drove through an area each day where the people were out on the streets.  I saw things while there that broke my heart.  I had to speak out.  I could not have forgiven myself, had I not spoken out. Thank you for reading it again and commenting.  Wanda
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

14 posted 2001-10-28 09:26 PM

Mysteria; I cannot comprehend the WHY of this problem either.  But, it is a problem; and I agree we will probably continue to see this problem. I do know in the area we were last year, one of the Churches had put together a mission for the people.  They fed, they clothed, and did as much as possible to help the people out.  I certainly commend them for doing that.  Wanda
DawnG
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-23
Posts 1494
United States
15 posted 2001-10-28 11:15 PM

Wanda,

Children are always the victim when it comes to living on the street. I know someone who lived on the streets during their childhood and to hear them talk of it breaks my heart. Thankfully they were one of the lucky ones who were able to leave the situation alive.

Dawn

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

16 posted 2001-10-29 12:08 PM

Dawn; I would say your friend is indeed fortunate to have survived that experience and come out of it alive.  I have a friend who has helped out in a shelter for homeless women and children; and she, too, said the children are always the ones most vulnerable. Thank you for your input on this subject.  Wanda
Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
17 posted 2001-10-29 09:13 AM

Wanda, I am glad you feel compelled to write of this. It is a topic which needs to be made known. I think many of us here in Canada think things like this do not exist here but that is not so. Recently I have known people who with their children lived on the streets...I did not know how they could survive. My heart breaks for all the children who have to endure any kind of suffering. God bless you, Wanda. Thank you for sharing this with us all.

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

18 posted 2001-10-29 09:30 AM

Karen; I believe Sunshine in her reply to this poem said it best, "Any nation - anytime."  I have a friend who just returned from the Ukraine and said, "Parents there are abandoning their children with the hope the government will place them in children's orphanages so they might be fed and clothed."  Do they abandon them because they don't love them?  No, they abandon them with the hope they will have a better life. I guess I can understand that because of the abject poverty there, but what is our excuse here?  It is a huge problem; do I have the answers?  No, I must admit I don't, but we need to come up with answers and solutions.  No child should have to go hungry and walk the streets without a home.  Thank you for your response.  Wanda
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
19 posted 2001-10-29 10:12 AM

(tears fall down my cheeks) Oh Wanda, this is so so sad! (sad sigh) My heart cries out to all these poor children, and such beautiful loving hearts like those show hope for all them and how we can reach out even with just the slightest love and save them all! (big hugggsssssss) I love you so much, sweet Wanda, and your words touch the heart so beautifully! God Bless You! (kiss on cheek) You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Wanda, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

20 posted 2001-10-29 10:51 AM

Noah, my dear friend, I knew of no other way to present the plight of homeless children without penning the poem in this manner.  I think of the time of year at the present.  We are going into the winter months. When I think of a child without proper food and clothing in the winter, it breaks my heart We need to ask ourselves, "What can I do to help?"  Hugs to you Noah.  Wanda
A Whisper's Caress
since 2000-11-03
Posts 791
on the horizon of a fairytale
21 posted 2001-10-29 11:58 AM

so so heartbreaking.

Look into the eyes of a man and
you will find the soul of the woman
who loves him...

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

22 posted 2001-10-29 12:15 PM

Whisper's Caress; Yes, indeed it is heartbreaking.  Thank you for reading and responding.  I see you have a kitty emblem.  Are you a cat lover too?  I have a cat who thinks he is a person.  He has us trained well.  Wanda
Robert A
since 2001-10-29
Posts 174

23 posted 2001-10-29 12:53 PM

yes, this is the kind of poetry that brings to light things we tend to forget about...issues that need to be focused on, great to read something like this!
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

24 posted 2001-10-29 02:12 PM

Robert; First of all, I would like to welcome you to Passions.  Thank you for your reply to this poem.  This is an issue that is near to my heart.  If enough people become aware of this problem, perhaps something can be done about it.  Wanda
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » The Homeless Child

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary