navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » The Halloween Fairies
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Halloween Fairies Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2001-10-16 04:05 PM

~*~ A True Story of Two Halloween Fairies ~*~

This is a true story about two sisters I met two years ago on Halloween who are now in my Big Sisters group.  One was in a wheelchair as she had suffered a spinal cord injury.  She and her sister were dressed in the prettiest fairy costumes I think I have ever seen.  Her sister was pushing her to get her trick or treats, along with her Father accompanying them.  

The little girl in the wheelchair had been so badly burned by a roman candle firecracker four years prior, that apparently a young boy shot off in the schoolyard.  It had gotten stuck in her long hair, and resulted in blinding her one eye and causing severe burn damage to her face and head.  She is still undergoing surgery to repair the damage done.  I have been wanting to post this somewhere for a long time, but can’t get it to 'work' nicely into a proper poem, so bear with me on this, as it was really important to me to get this message across, which is,

Please supervise your children
when there are fireworks around.

~ THE HALLOWEEN FAIRIES ~

There was a little fairy on Halloween night,
who taught me a life lesson I won’t soon to forget.
I asked her would she like a trick or treat,
She said, "A treat please is what I’d like to get."

"You see that’s my sister in the wheelchair down there;
she got a trick before that wasn't very kind.
May I please have two treats, one for her and one for me?
See, she can't climb your stairs, do you mind?

One Halloween we were on your street,
going door to door, walking by the school.
We stopped to watch kids shooting off fireworks,
and a silly boy shot one at my sister, the fool!

That's my Dad down there, he comes with us now,
making sure that we will both be alright,
see there are kids shooting off more fireworks,
and we don't want another 'trick' tonight.

My sister lost her sight that Halloween night,
so I collect the treats for her goodie bag too.
See lady, she’s scared, but wants to come with me,
it takes courage to walk this street, but we do.

You gives out full size chocolate bars
and  we like to come to your door on Halloween,
so we decided to come 'cause it is dark,
and then my sister's face cannot be seen.

She doesn’t like anyone to see her face,
As they make such fun of her at school.
My Dad says I shouldn’t be angry with that boy,
But what was he thinking, that fool?"

With tears in my eyes I walked down the stairs,
and filled that child's bag up to the top.
Her Dad smiled, took my hand and thanked me,
as I went inside, crying, and couldn’t stop.

I will always remember that small child's smile,
As I hugged and wished her Happy Halloween,
Her tiny face had been so badly burned,
But it was the brightest smile I have ever seen.

When I think life has dealt me my share of tricks,
I will always remember that small sweet angel's smile,
And turn all of the tricks thrown at me into a treat,
And be thankful that in the daylight I’m able to smile!
~*~

~*~
~*  For Tara and Leah *~
~ Two Very Adorable Fairies With Love
~* Halloween 2001 *~

all images are from enchantedstudios.com

~I always have time to listen to someone talking from their heart~

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (edited 10-16-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
RosePetal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-08-26
Posts 2985
South Florida
1 posted 2001-10-16 04:11 PM

Oh my..this is touching! It saddens me to know that there are people who do things never thinking about what could happen from the actions they take. Mysteria, you have a heart of GOLD..I hope the girls will come visit you again this Halloween.

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
2 posted 2001-10-16 04:27 PM

Sharon...I thank you for this one.
~Warm hugs, NancyLee~

~I've loved you forever, in lifetimes before.~

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
3 posted 2001-10-16 04:35 PM

Thank you so very very much for sharing this beautiful poem with me. It is hard to reply through my tears but I want you to know that I love your loving and tender heart. MAGNIFICENT.

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
4 posted 2001-10-16 04:39 PM

Mysteria, I cannot find the words to express how I feel .....this is simply lovely. Chris

Life is not measured by breaths you take, but by moments that take your breath away.

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
5 posted 2001-10-16 04:46 PM

OH my goodness.....I don't think you need to
change a single word.  You wrote this from
within a very caring heart.  And no matter
whether all the I's are dotted or the T's
are crossed.....This is powerful.  We all
must give thanx for what we have.  Those of
us that have healthy children should hug
that child ever close.  Keeping them from
ever getting a trick,  getting only a treat.

Thank you for posting these beautiful words.

Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
6 posted 2001-10-16 04:56 PM

You are always sharing your heart...I think I would come to your door, as well, but not because you give the big chocolate candy bars, but for special reasons...those not always so readily seen....

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2001-10-16 05:21 PM

Thank you all for reading this one, and I hope you will tell all parents with children to be careful.  

Balladeer -   I changed the heading from "Supervise Your Children With Fireworks" - hah, he had to catch my "dangling particple or whatever it is!  He asked me if I hit them with them, or beat them with fireworks, and told me what a meanie I was   - and yes, I should have asked for your wonderful cadence on this one, but you would have taken out a ton of words wouldn't you?  Hah, thanks Michael.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2001-10-16 06:02 PM

Sharon, you wonderful woman, yes I could have taken out words and smoothed the lines and all that stuff to make it more aesthetically correct but you know what? I love it exactly the way it is. It is YOU....your heart and your love pouring out here and there is no wrong way to do that. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who does it better.   Just keep writing your heart like this and you will continue to shine as one of the brightest stars in our poetic sky. It is a wonderful poem - one to be proud of - and I salute you, poetess  
sunshinemist
since 2001-09-29
Posts 595
Fl. sunshines early mist
9 posted 2001-10-16 06:14 PM

Mysteria, Wonderful poem!   You did a fantastic job.  
          ~hugs~

smiles ~Marie~
happiness is contentment of the heart

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
10 posted 2001-10-16 08:13 PM

I couldn't have done better, Sharon... Your words are just so heartfelt...Very well said, m'friend..
Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
11 posted 2001-10-16 08:45 PM

Oh, this brought a tear to my eye. I'm so glad you shared this with us. For all of us that think our little problems are so awful, to see a little girl bearing up to her problems like that, and a big sister who's so protective of her....this is just so very very touching

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
12 posted 2001-10-16 08:56 PM

I hope you don't mind but my daughter had me print this out so she could have her teacher read it to the class. She said she would read it but she would probably start to cry. Thank you, so much, for your loving heart.

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
13 posted 2001-10-16 09:42 PM

Balladeer ~ Thank you for your heart!  To quote Frank Sinatra (well sort of), I guess, "I have to do it my way" as it is the only way I know, but I love your way!  ((hugs))

Sunshinemist ~ It is a sad story, but one we can all learn from I think, thanks.

Nan ~ Sorry, you know me - I couldn't wait   oh well, it is a "me poem" right or wrong I guess.  I am glad you enjoyed it.

Tracey ~ This is one tough kid!  And I should clarify I am not her Big Sister, but she has a wonderful big sister who loves and cares for her very much, and also has a "Big Sister" in my section who loves her too.  I see her often, and she is coming along with her confidence.  Thank you.

Startime ~ I would be absolutely honored if the teacher read this as a lesson.  If you can fix it a bit, even better and bless your heart for this

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
14 posted 2001-10-16 10:55 PM

It is absolutely perfect just the way it is. I have been phoning people ever since I read it and have been reading it to them. *sigh* of course I get teary eyed every time but this is such a poem as needs to be read by as many as it can reach. Thank you, so very much.

Flutterwings
since 2001-07-10
Posts 288
Maine
15 posted 2001-10-16 11:12 PM

Sharon, I know that your pen was deeped in the pit of your loving heart and you've come up with a tearful read. A sad, but so heart-felt and with so much compassion that I felt that you were the fairy

hovering over these child fairies protecting them from harm... You are one talented fairy and I can feel your goodness in this well written work of poetic art. Maggie ((~.~))

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
16 posted 2001-10-16 11:25 PM

Oh, Mysteria, now you are also a Big sister and a Fairy Godmother, as well as a superb poet and friend. Fireworks for the 4th of July and other holidays are downright scary.
This little girl will live forever with pain that should never have been inflicted upon anyone, much less an innocent child. Give them an extra treat from me, this year! I'd be happy to send you a $ donation for some giant sized chocolate bars.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2001-10-16 11:26 PM

Startime ~ You have made my day, do you know that?  Thank you for this.

Flutterwings ~ Coming from the ultimate "fairy" I thank you with all my heart for your words sweet friend.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
18 posted 2001-10-16 11:30 PM

Midnitesun ~ I missed you on that write ~ thank you for your offer - I will see these two this year for sure, but no need for any donation   - I spoil the kids coming to my door, Martha Stewart taught me well!    This little girl will eventually be okay as she is surrounded with her family's love, and with several more operations, will lead a somewhat normal life in our world of the accepted, which is the main thing I think is so sad - that one is judged by their appearance.  Rambling - opps - thank you.

Martha Cowan
since 2001-03-08
Posts 240
Groves, Texas
19 posted 2001-10-18 01:37 AM

Sharon...this was so sad, and so reflective of your loving and caring heart.  Life is filled with "unpredictiblities", and so many times those instances find someone we love hurt ~ or taken from us.  We can never take for granted that tomorrow will find everything in the same order in which we left it before we bid the night farewell in our dreams...and you have captured the essence of how important it is to savor life and protect it..
Sorry I'm late...but your work is always my source of renewing strength!
Hugs and much love to you, my precious friend!
Always....~*~dawnie~*~

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
20 posted 2001-10-18 01:52 AM

Dawn - thank you for your wonderful thoughts, and the wisdom to share on savoring life's every moment too.  Late?  Did we have a date   he he, thanks sweetie.
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
21 posted 2001-10-19 07:10 AM

A message of wisest caution wrapped up in the most beautiful shining paper. I can't get over your heart. It is a treat to know you and read your words beyond compare. I'll recall this each time I hear the words "Trick or Treat" Big gorgeous smile from my heart!

Sincerely,
Regina

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
22 posted 2001-10-19 07:40 AM

Sharon, how you touched my heart with this one. I will save it in my library.

thank you so much for sharing your lovely heart with us.

Charisma

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
23 posted 2001-10-19 07:53 AM

rwood - It is your words and dear people like you that fill my heart, so it I who thank you!

Charisma - I am truly honored, thank you.  Do you have halloween there as well.  It would be nice if everyone from other countries could write about their holiday and how it is celebrated    

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
24 posted 2001-10-19 10:33 AM

There's more to poetry than mere meter and rhyme
And a verse like this will get me every time
With tears of thankfulness for such a giving heart.
I'd give the praise you deserve... but don't know where to start.

This is superb, Mysteria... If it has any flaws, they hid behind the perfection of your caring. *S*

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
25 posted 2001-10-19 02:06 PM

Ah Suthern, you don't even know how much your words have meant to me today, as I respect your work so very much.  Thank you.
Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
26 posted 2001-10-29 08:11 AM

A timely reminder of what we must do to make this a very, very safe evening for our children!  Thank you for this, for as always, it comes from your heart...
SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
27 posted 2001-10-29 09:19 AM

Oh Sharon, this brought tears to my eyes as I was reading it. This is a beautiful poem. And, you have such a loving heart.
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
28 posted 2001-10-29 04:01 PM

Lady In White ~ Thank you for reading this one, it is an important warning.

Smart Chick ~ Up here anyway (Canada) sales are down by over 50%, and it appears that schools are planning events this year and there will less of the "door to door" collecting, and I think it is about time!  Thank you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » The Halloween Fairies

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary