navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » A bit of longing, A bit of satire
Open Poetry #15
Post A Reply Post New Topic A bit of longing, A bit of satire Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
The Lonely Stranger
since 1999-06-18
Posts 361
Upstate, NY, USA

0 posted 2001-09-01 04:15 PM

The Cleavers now are fodder,
For our twisted jokes.
We today make fun of them
'Cause they were decent folks.

Eddie now, would be a gem
At least he feigned respect
Our youth today would smile
And then, they'd slash your neck.

I shake my head and wonder
What has gone so wrong,
That decency and plain respect
Are things that are long gone.

"Yes Sir!" answered kids back then.
They did what they were told.
Why I wonder do we scoff
At such fine times of old.

No one ever listened themselves into trouble.

© Copyright 2001 Gerald H. Monroe - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2001-09-01 04:44 PM

I think it's just that no one's life was ever that easy. I still say yes m'am and yes sir, and so do my children. They show respect, and in return they earn it.  
Zinsser
since 2001-02-27
Posts 1641
Calif.
2 posted 2001-09-01 07:31 PM

Very Good write!!!
I think there are a million reason things have changed...
I worked with adolesent ( throw away kids)
Long time......
   Good write Keep thought provoking things rolling   : )

Thank You
         ~~~Connie~~~

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
3 posted 2001-09-01 07:50 PM

hmmm, the Cleavers were seen as non-reality, and in many ways that was true, even then, but it trying to make the t.v. families more real, more funny, less preachy, may have evolved some monstrous results

disrespect more the norm because people try to be as 'open' and get as many 'laughs' as the groups that don't really have to go back home and live with the people who have said such disrespectful things, they all go home to their own houses and find their own battles of coping

in the norm of things, each generation searches for their limits and they always seem to be just a little bit beyond those of the previous generation before they find the wall

you, as usual, Lonely Stranger have provoked a great deal of thought...sorry I went off so far, wish I could see my own problems so clearly

The Lonely Stranger
since 1999-06-18
Posts 361
Upstate, NY, USA
4 posted 2001-09-01 08:22 PM

you, as usual, Lonely Stranger have provoked a great deal of thought...sorry I went off so far, wish I could see my own problems so clearly

LOL, well if you found your way to a tangent, then you were thinking .... if so, my work is done!

The Lonely Stranger
since 1999-06-18
Posts 361
Upstate, NY, USA
5 posted 2001-09-01 08:27 PM

"hmmm, the Cleavers were seen as non-reality, and in many ways that was true, even then, but it trying to make the t.v. families more real, more funny, less preachy, may have evolved some monstrous results"

Sorry to post in two seperate posts (I'm not "top-of-queuing" ... honest but this just hit me. Is it possible that the Cleavers were reality, but those who didn't measure up convinced us that they were not so as not to feel sub-standard?

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
6 posted 2001-09-01 09:29 PM

I enjoyed your poem very much. thought provoking in a humurous way. I'm only 38, but even in my youth there seemed to be a lot more respect from kids than there is now. Where does it come from? I don't know. I think in many cases, parents give too much to the kids because they feel guilty that both are not home. Kids seem to grow up with a sense of "you owe me" and not having to work for what they're given. Not all, but enough of them. Now I'm going off on a tangent. You hit on something that I think of often.

Tacey

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited 09-01-2001).]

2dalimit
Member Elite
since 2000-02-08
Posts 2228
Mississippi coast
7 posted 2001-09-02 02:07 PM

...I shake my head and wonder
What has gone so wrong,
That decency and plain respect
Are things that are long gone...

Well said, my friend.

Melton

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » A bit of longing, A bit of satire

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary