navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Waiting for Indigo
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic Waiting for Indigo Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI

0 posted 2002-07-25 02:42 PM

i pray for indigo
     peril in a cup
sacrificing borrowed straws
   to
         hollows

don't believe
i might control my self

i fear into a sky
   without conviction
crouching low
  on currents
            perfect suns

waiting for indigo
                   's             so
                     unlight
i pray
   to
       hollows
instead

© Copyright 2002 Carly Anne Van Dort - All Rights Reserved
clve527
since 2002-07-08
Posts 200

1 posted 2002-07-25 03:21 PM

I am not seeing the purpose of the staggered lines.  I don't think it is benefiting the poem.  But that is just me, I am not a big fan of staggered lines, to me they are just a distraction from the words.

Casey

P.S. And just so I don't have to respond to the people who come after me and say I am wrong and that it is wonderful.  I don't care, don't bother if you want me to come in and argue.  I am sick of arguing with people that can't type out the word to or spell the word said.

If all you want is emotion, go down to walmart, buy yourself a diary and hide it in a drawer where no one can see...

Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI
2 posted 2002-07-25 03:42 PM

They have a purpose, but thanks for your input. I'll smush them together and see how it appeals to me.
Umm.. what does that "p.s" have to do with my poem? I apologize for being selfish but I don't expect people to respond to others before it's even necessary...Just by posting that, I feel like I have to defend myself, not even on the topic of my own poem. Thanks, though, for your critique. Is there anything else I should look at? Like how well my message is getting across? Thanks again.
  ~Carly

"Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions."
  ~David Borenstein

Android 17
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
3 posted 2002-07-25 04:45 PM

I liked it...

OOOOOOOOOH!!! The comment suggestions says NOT to say that! Well fine then...be that way!!!!

Haha---now on a more serious note...Carly, your work has always been wonderfully crafted with the metaphors of your own mind! The great thing about your poetry is...only a select few can actually understand it! Some are even left to criticize broken lines, and mere spelling errors. Don't worry---it's not your fault!

Anyways, I actually quite enjoyed the use to the broken lines...even though I'm not a big fan of them! ^_^ I'm glad that you've come back to post at PiP! Come'on! Let's restore Teen Poetry!!! ^_^

~ # 17

Others are too in love with the sound of their own voice to speak the truth...

clve527
since 2002-07-08
Posts 200

4 posted 2002-07-25 04:48 PM

I apologize that your poems had to be bogged down with that, but I have had a little 'fan club' that has followed me around on my critiques.  I'm getting irritated by it and am hoping that that statement would possibly prevent it.  No need to defend.  Also, if it isn't your style to have normal spacing that's fine.  I just usually tend to wonder what the specific purpose is.

Casey

If all you want is emotion, go down to walmart, buy yourself a diary and hide it in a drawer where no one can see...

Android 17
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
5 posted 2002-07-25 05:29 PM

Casey---the point of a poem isn't to find out it's logic. For it's made up purley of human emotions and the mind---and if you try to make sense of it all...no wonder it never makes sense! Just read it...let it sink in---and let YOUR MIND comprehend it!

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
6 posted 2002-07-25 10:13 PM

Here we go again...

Anyways...CARLY! You're back! ^^ Or maybe I've missed a few...er. Heh. ^_^;

To be honest, I didn't really follow where the poem was going, or what the message was. I agree with Casey that the broken lines didn't help much. I found it confusing...*gets confused easily* o_O;

However, there were some nice lines here:

"peril in a cup"

and

"crouching low
  on currents
            perfect suns"

Though not the best I've read from you, you are still a very talented poet, and I always enjoy reading your posts!

-Leah-

[This message has been edited by chasing rain (07-25-2002 10:14 PM).]

Android 17
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
7 posted 2002-07-26 12:35 PM

Hey, SweetPea---it's good to see you still lofting around here! ^_^

devil_tongue
since 2000-03-02
Posts 50

8 posted 2002-07-26 10:32 AM

Hmmm...very interesting, Carly. Your opening stanza is exceptional as per usual. Without the staggered lines it wouldn't have the same affect so bravo.
I'm getting quite a few messages out of this so I'm going to lock it away in my head and figure it out. Your writing has been dearly missed and it's nice to read it again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Waiting for Indigo

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary