navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #14 » Within This Square
Open Poetry #14
Post A Reply Post New Topic Within This Square Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
In a corporeal internship...

0 posted 2001-06-28 10:15 PM

Images flash across the screen
Some of which, certainly should not be seen
The pulsing light shines off her face
She's mesmerized by the picture's pace

Like forbidden fruit, the colors cajole
And invisible hands grab hold her soul
She's at the mercy of men unknown
Who play with her when she's alone

What dangers lurk within this square
To cast their mold behind her stare
To shape her mind of un-touched clay
And spill their oil into her bay

The window is open to the world outside
Waiting to take her for a ride
And the stories that race before her eyes
With deafening sound will drown her cries

She's shackled to a future
That looks grim, indeed
The daughter of a mother
Who has her own needs...

What dangers lurk within this square
To cast their mold behind her stare
To shape her mind of un-touched clay
And spill their oil into her bay

(Copyright 1992 by: MARK V SHELDON)

"If you think you know it all, you have a lot to learn."

"Everyone can hear;  few can listen."

© Copyright 2001 Mark V Sheldon - All Rights Reserved
Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
1 posted 2001-06-28 10:33 PM

Mark, I'm not sure I know what you are saying and not sure I want to know.  I'm in confusion.  ME
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
2 posted 2001-06-28 10:47 PM

exactly why my kids are not allowed to go on line. I will take them to designated sites, they never go on alone or unsupervised. I don't think they will either, as long as they are in my house. or they hit 18.....you just can't be too careful....
MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
3 posted 2001-06-28 10:51 PM

Hi ME.  Thank you for responding, and I can appreciate your confusion.  This poem is about television and the incredible potential for damage it has to our children when they are left unsupervised.  It was inspired by witnessing a one-year old girl (whose mother was of "questionable profession") left to be babysitted by a female friend of mine, with the TV being the primary source of distraction for her.  I saw that the movie "Tremors" was on and how the little girl was hypnotized by the graphic nature of the film.  I also saw how the living room window was wide-open, being realistically a potential for a deathly plummet for the little girl, considering this was a top floor of a very tall apartment building.  Naturally, my friend changed the channel and closed the window, but this left a permanent impression on me in terms of the power of television on young minds and the carelessness/thoughtlessness of some young parents.  If this came across as disturbing, I'm actually very glad becuase these are some topics worthy of some serious consideration.  Thank you for reading and replying.

Hi SEA:  I'm very glad to hear this since this can be an equal travesty.  Thank you for caring and sharing.

-MVS

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2001-06-28 10:56 PM

wow....that explination was so sad.....the only baby sitter I've ever had has been my parents or my brother in law and his wife. And the times my kids have actually been baby sat.....maybe 2-3 times a year.....the tv(usually) stays off at my house.....my kids watch catoon network, PAX tv, or movies we buy.....nothing ever stronger than what they can handle ( 8,10, and 12 years)so it's usually very tame   .........

[This message has been edited by SEA (edited 06-28-2001).]

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
5 posted 2001-06-28 10:56 PM

I know what you mean Mark.....It's the world's most dominant influence. Did you lnow that the average North American spends nine years of their life watching TV.
Like Sea mentioned it could be the internet too!
Some great lines in this work!
Thanks for the poem.

walker
Member Elite
since 2001-02-11
Posts 2240
Florida
6 posted 2001-06-28 11:09 PM

Really good poem, well written and enjoyed. That is why my kids don't have televisions on their rooms, I totally agree with the unsupervise damages.Thanks for sharing!
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

7 posted 2001-06-29 08:29 AM

well said... there are many dangers in over exposure to television or online content. TV however, is insidious in the way it attracts children and has become a substitute for other more constructive activities...

Enjoyed the "warnings" and the poem..

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
8 posted 2001-06-29 08:57 AM

Mark, I saw a young woman, lost in a haze of evil. After reading your explanation, you have to think how sad it is that little ones are so easily brushed aside for the adults needs. Not fair at all.
Sandra

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
9 posted 2001-06-29 11:58 AM

SEA:  I think your kids will appreciate this when they're older.

Thanks for reading and responding, Eric.  It's a numbing fact you've presented regarding the statistics.  What happened to books, poems, discourse with friends...?  I can really see now, from a different perspective, how this poem could very well represent the Internet too...  interesting how many subjectives can be derived from a work...

Thank you for your response, Walker.  There's SO much more to life than TV!  I'm glad to hear of parents taking the love and effort to raise their kids in a positive manner.

So true, Ron.  I find VERY little time for TV, but I must say, that it has an incredibly hypnotic effect -- commercials and all -- when one has very little exposure to it.  Seems inevitably that everytime I find it turned on, I realize how little I've missed...  (of course there's good stuff there too, but in general, I'm saying...).

Yes, Sandra, so much is unfair...  seems like a perpetual cycle, so many times, where because something similar happened to the parents, those parents end up passing on the same actions/qualities to their kids, ad-infinitum, until somebody along the way REALIZES these changeable patterns and BREAKS the cycle.  Not everyone knows how, unfortunately...

-MVS

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #14 » Within This Square

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary