navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » A Teacher & Friend - Poet DeVine's March Challenge
Open Poetry #12
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Teacher & Friend - Poet DeVine's March Challenge Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA

0 posted 2001-03-09 09:37 PM

This one is for Poet DeVine’s March challenge and goes out to the woman who first inspired me to write and implanted in me the desire to learn all I could about writing and literature. Even to this day, we keep in touch and she reads my poetry. Her support means a lot to me. So Mrs. K., this one’s for you. Thank you for everything you have done throughout the years. I could never repay the kindness you have shown me.

I walked into your classroom
Like a flower waiting to bloom
I was very quiet and shy
Hardly able to look you in the eye

Freshman English was the class
I was hoping I would pass
I had heard you were stern
But I was eager to learn

So I kept an open mind
I could tell you were kind
You inspired in me
A desire you see

I wrote essays and reports
Things of that sort
Until one winter day
With poetry we began to play

Haiku, sonnets, and limericks
Must have learned every trick
Because it stuck with me
This love of poetry

I have you to thank
To be among these ranks
Writing with Passion’s best
Putting my words to the test

You told me I had talent
Which I know you meant
Those words are not forgotten
In my heart they have been

You are a teacher turned friend
Whose love will never end
In good times and in bad
One of the best I’ve had

I am glad we keep in touch
You know you mean so much
Then again you always will
As I sit here writing for you still

Poetry should surprise by fine excess...it should strike the reader as a wording of his own highest thoughts and appear almost a remembrance. -J.Keats

© Copyright 2001 Jennifer L. Garcia - All Rights Reserved
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
1 posted 2001-03-09 09:42 PM

Jennifer, she will love this! I'm assuming that since you still keep in touch with her you'll give her this poem. It made me think of my own freshman English class, which was where I first studied poetry and found out I loved it. I had the teacher for five different courses during high school, and he helped me a lot with my own poetry. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Aimster
Member Elite
since 2000-02-19
Posts 4297
Charlotte, NC
2 posted 2001-03-09 10:27 PM

jen-

this is so beautiful and touching! while
reading this, it brought tears to my eyes.
it is wonderful that you and your teacher
have developed this sort of friendship.
i am sure you do her more than proud! you
have an amazing talent--and she must be
a very special woman...the best to you
both.

take care
amy

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart & can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2001-03-09 10:35 PM

This is a wonderful tribute!! My old English teacher is no longer alive, but she too inspired me. thank you for sharing this with us.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2001-03-09 11:03 PM

This is a wonderful tribute to the heros of this country, were it not for english teachers, or teachers period this world would be really scary! You have now made me want go find mine, as like you, she was an atributing factor in me writing. She caught me writing on the napkins at lunch and bought me a little book to put them in, I still have it. Ramble...ramble...in other words I loved your poem!

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
5 posted 2001-03-09 11:30 PM

Elizabeth . . . Oh yes, I e-mailed it to her. She was an excellent teacher and is a wonderful friend. I had her for a few different classes also. I learned a ton from her. You are welcome for sharing. Glad you have some great memories also.

Amy . . . Thank you, she is a very special woman. I am thankful to call her my friend. She has definitely made a difference in my life.

Poet deVine . . . Thank YOU for posting this challenge. I read it and knew this one was for her. Glad you were also inspired by your Englush teacher. Wonder how many of us were?

Mysteria . . . Teachers are the true heroes in my eyes because they are the ones who inspire greatness in us. Best of luck to you in finding yours. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. I loved the ramblings here. Thanks!!

Poetry should surprise by fine excess...it should strike the reader as a wording of his own highest thoughts and appear almost a remembrance. -J.Keats

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
6 posted 2001-03-10 12:00 PM

I hope that you sent this to her. . . she will love it. . .

Excellent LW. . . superb. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Moon Dust
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
7 posted 2001-03-10 12:07 PM

You know I was never good at peotry while in school, can't remember even were my ispiration came from. But this is a beauiful piece and i'm sure your old teacher will love this

Don't ever give in, if you do you've lost everything you've ever had and everything you hope to gain, but if you carry on your already winning.

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
8 posted 2001-03-10 11:03 PM

Sven . . . Yes, I sent it to her. I know she will love it and she deserves every word. You know what she means to me. Thanks.

Moon Dust . . . I'm sure if you thought about it for a while, you'd remember. She will love it and I can't wait to hear back from her. This is the first one written speciafically for her. She is very special to me.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » A Teacher & Friend - Poet DeVine's March Challenge

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary