navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Poem about "Generation Y"
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poem about "Generation Y" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
newguy12
since 2009-04-30
Posts 1

0 posted 2009-04-30 08:38 PM

Hi.  So, I have an assignment to write a 3 stanza poem for my English class due at the end of the month.  The poem has to be about my generation (gen Y) and it has to define/characterize it.  I have personally never been much good at writing poems- i usually try to sneak by with a haiku- and would appreciate any ideas or help for writing this.

© Copyright 2009 newguy12 - All Rights Reserved
Peanutbuttercookies'nmilk
since 2009-05-03
Posts 31
Terrell,Texas
1 posted 2009-05-07 07:27 PM

Try by sitting down in a QUIET place,like your room or outside in your backyard,and write about a childhood memory,or even a past family-get-together.

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
2 posted 2009-05-08 11:07 PM

Give specific examples within your poem that characterize your generation (for example, texting, youtube, etc.).  Try to also use some good imagery (show, not tell--paint a picture with your words) and some other poetic devices (alliteration, personification, etc.)

I am an English teacher and those are the kinds of things I look for when I'm grading poetry.  I hope that helps!

N|D|N|C|Lost-Poet
since 2009-07-30
Posts 360
New Orleans
3 posted 2009-07-30 06:19 AM

What I always do is: Write. Just write a story, don't try to rhyme, just write.

With that, you form it to match your school requirements.

Good luck.

Also, I'd like to comment to the English Teacher:

I do hope you realize there is much more in a generation then the youthful trends which accompany it.

-LostPoet

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
4 posted 2009-09-12 12:07 PM

Of course I do, but I think that trends have their place in defining generations as much as global events, schools of thought, etc.  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Poem about "Generation Y"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary