navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Comma, How do you spell that? LOL
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Comma, How do you spell that? LOL Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!

0 posted 2004-05-22 11:59 AM

Hi, anyone want to break down this sentence and punctuate it properly. Break it into multiple sentences if you need to, but be sure to use commas where they are needed. After re-writing the sentence grammaticly correctly, give an explanation why you used certain punctuation in each instance.

quote:
The spotted cow’s calf two teams of horses and the accompanying wagons and a heard of wooly white mountain goats charged without thinking of the consequences toward the barn door which needed to be taken down anyway and apparently that’s why Cowboy Jim was called.

© Copyright 2004 Jeffrey D. Carter - All Rights Reserved
Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
1 posted 2004-05-22 01:33 PM

The spotted cow’s calf, two teams of horses' with the accompanying wagons, and a heard of wooly, white, mountain goats, charged without thinking of the consequences, toward the barn door, which needed to be taken down anyway. Apparently that’s why Cowboy Jim was called.

The commas are placed where I put them, to keep the structure flowing, without bunching it up, I replaced the "and" with "with" in regaurds to the wagons, 'cause it was to many ands (lol), I broke off the last line into it's own sentence, because it didn't go with the body of the long, run on , sentence,,,,as for tenses, propers and such,,,,fake it, lol!

Michelle

I wish all could find the true happiness I have found,,in the eyes of Mike

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
2 posted 2004-05-23 03:36 AM

Any English or Grammar teachers out there want to look at this and tell me how close it is to being correct? If so, and it is partially incorrect, could you please explain what parts aren't correct? Thanks!

The spotted cow’s calf, a herd of wooly, white mountain goats, and two teams of horses (with accompanying wagons) charged, without thinking of the consequences, toward the barn door, which needed to be taken down anyway. Apparently, that’s why Cowboy Jim was called.

The comma after calf was put there to separate it from the next item in the series.

The comma between wooly and white was put there because they are coordinate adjectives and need to be separated.

The comma after goats was put there, again, to separate it from the next item in the series.

I put the parentheses around the words with accompanying wagons because it is worthwhile, but secondary information.

The comma before and after which needed to be taken down anyway was added because it is a non-essential item that only adds extra information to the sentence.

I chose to break off the last part of the sentence and make it a sentence by itself because, well, frankly it reads better that way. I put the comma after Apparently because it is an introductory word.  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2004-05-27 10:28 AM

How about this:

The calf , two horse-teams with wagons, and some mountain goats, without thinking of consequences, charged toward the barn-door which needed to be taken down.   That’s why Cowboy Jim was called.

wings of the moon
since 2003-03-27
Posts 323
Pink bubblegum land
4 posted 2004-06-05 10:44 AM

its towardS isn't it?
Jeffrey Carter
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
5 posted 2004-06-07 02:33 AM

Actually if I'm not mistaken, it can be either toward or towards. They both mean the same thing and they are both listed in Webster's under the same heading. When used as a preposition it means: In the direction of, regarding; in aid of; for; about.  When used as an adverb it means: At hand, going on.

Ok, so you already knew all that LOL I just got my new version of Webster's, so I thought I'd practice using it

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
6 posted 2004-06-08 01:04 AM

The -s in towards is the same that you see in a word like "Ron's",  indicating possessive case, but used traditionally and specially in an adverbial manner.
For some reason though these words are never used with an apostrophe to show that, so it is difficult to tell that it is that -s we are allfamiliar with.    

Adays  - by day
Anights  - by night
Besides  - by side
Betimes  - in time
Words and deeds  - by word and by deed
Lifes   - with life
Selfwills - of one's own will
Anon-rights - right at once
God's Thanks -through God's grace
Hitherwards  -in this direction
Unawares  --in unawareness
Whiles  --in while

So rightly perhaps they should be spelt aday's, anight's, beside's, word's and deed's, Life's, Selfwill's, Anon-right's, God's Thank's, Hitherward's, Unaware's, While's.    

[This message has been edited by Essorant (06-08-2004 11:08 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
7 posted 2004-06-30 01:50 AM

Needs - of necessity
Else -  otherwise
Thanks - willingly
Wills - willingly
Daylongs - for a day
Somes - in some degree
Tomids - in the middle

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Comma, How do you spell that? LOL

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary