navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Will and Shall
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Will and Shall Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Black_Knight
since 2003-09-04
Posts 23
England

0 posted 2003-09-08 09:59 PM

This is one of the myriad small things I learnt about my language that pleased me.

Often, the words 'will' and 'shall' are used interchangeably, but their meanings are actually entirely different.

"If you let go, I shall drown!"

This is telling us that the hold we have is preventing drowning.

"If you let go, I will drown"

This, perhaps surprisingly, is a threat.  That is because the word 'will' is connected to the words 'willful' and 'will-power' and phrases such as 'with a will'.  It implies purpose.

The word 'shall' does not imply purpose.  The same difference also applies to the words 'would' and 'should'.

"I would love you forever" is a statement of purpose, and thus different to "I should love you forever".

I hope that's of interest to some, as it was to me.  It is always a delight to learn a new facet to language, and to realise that it has more powers, even in the simplest of things, than we had perhaps ever realised.

[This message has been edited by Black_Knight (09-08-2003 09:59 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Ammon Johns - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-09-08 10:14 PM

Absolutely of interest.  Thank you!
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
2 posted 2003-09-09 10:51 PM

Indeed; and it is helpful if you ever have confusion just to think of them this way:

Will: Wish

Shall: Must

As you will, I shall.

As you would, I should.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (09-09-2003 10:52 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2003-09-30 06:51 PM

Another point about the difference between  shall and will is that very oft shall is used to express humble servitude and will superiority and what that serves.  A slavish person shall serve his master's will.

"Slave, do my will and kiss my feet"

"Master, I shall as 'twere a treat"

[This message has been edited by Essorant (10-01-2003 12:59 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Will and Shall

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary