navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Extra Pages
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Extra Pages Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2002-03-17 07:56 PM

OK, this may not be exactly the best forum to place this in, but since my eg got bum rushed, i'll put it here...

Why are there often extra, blank pages at the end of a hardcover novel? i counted four blank pages in the book i finished this morning...? decidedly odd, i say.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (03-17-2002 07:56 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2002-03-17 09:02 PM

For the taking and/or making of notes.  Seriously.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

2 posted 2002-03-18 06:06 AM

I also had heard that for some books (some mind you) it was to do with the sectioned pages. You know how many books have a number of sections glued in? As far as I knew, depending on the publisher, these are pre-made and a few extra pages on the end are just a result of that...

I could never write notes in my books..(unless they were text books...)

K

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2002-03-18 12:50 PM

no kidding... now why didnt i think of that? instead of dog-earing all the pages i want to remember, i can just write them down in the back of the book... then again, i don't read too many hardcovers (difficult to hold with one hand lol)... and that makes some sense about block pages too... i wonder how afraid the book publishers are of e-books?
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2002-03-18 01:35 PM

They are afraid...very afraid...meanwhile, the trees are rejoicing!

Except in my office.  Where we thought we might one day be a paperless office?  Ain't gonna happen!  We go through 4x as much paper as we did a decade ago...

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2002-03-18 03:20 PM

Here's another little twip of trivia. Books aren't printed on pages, but are printed on sheets. The sheets are later trimmed to pages. The number of pages per sheet depends on the size of the press, ranging from 8 to 16 (very common) all the way up to 32 and 64. If the number of pages in your manuscript isn't evenly divisible by the sheet size, you're going to end up with - ta da - blank pages.

E-books. One of the things I've learned teaching for the past several years is that most people are still uncomfortable doing their reading on a computer monitor. I have been absolutely astounded by the number of people who admit they print out a multi-page article so they read it on "real" paper. Old habits, especially those garnered over a lifetime, are hard to break. I suspect it is going to take a full generation before e-books pose a serious threat to traditional publishing.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2002-03-18 03:23 PM

And there's nothing better than receiving a "real book" as a present...I know...I just received three...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Extra Pages

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary