navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Blowing my own horn
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Blowing my own horn Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2010-05-03 09:10 PM

Can I get a drum roll?

Because...

I JUST MADE THE BEST POT OF PINTO BEANS EVER CREATED IN HISTORY.

(I hope ya'll didn't think I'd published something--cause, er...I didn't even write the recipe down!)

Totally spontaneous.

Yep.

This is one night only.

Now. Um...I know ya'll will find this hard to believe, but I've never cooked brown rice...

back to the laboratory!

© Copyright 2010 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
1 posted 2010-05-03 10:48 PM

Congratulations!  Now are you going to publish something entitled, "I Passed Cooking 101" or "Bean Master" or?

Last week I toyed around with asparagus.  First I baked it with cheese and bread crumbs  (Ummmmm)then I made a salad with it with an orange/oil dressing.  I filed the latter recipe in the garbage.  

Today, our company loved my snack...Pitted dates stuffed with cream cheese.  Yummy!  You should try it.

'Nite,
Rae

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2010-05-03 11:17 PM

oooh...and I love using citrus as a dressing, in marinades, my shampoo... *laughing*

Love the asparagus, but tsk...I broke my own rule tonight. Those pinto beans are full of saturated fat--BUT--not as much damage as I could have done. (I grew up with that coffee can fulla bacon grease on the stove yanno.)

I can't wait to try that recipe I saw on Dr. Oz the other day too. ALFREDO--with wheat noodles and a cauliflower-based sauce...

I can work with that!

Good to see ya, Rae!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2010-05-03 11:28 PM

and you didn't invite me....

pouting big time here...I could've made
you a pan of cornbread that would've
sweetened your grin!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2010-05-03 11:48 PM

It was the cornbread that made me scream "GLEEEEEEE!!!

(Doncha love when you pre-slice it, flip it, and it comes out golden brown and still stands while it steams?)

Nod. I'm working on a "clean" iced tea, too.

All the newer cultures in New Orleans only add interest to the gumbo.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2010-05-03 11:53 PM

And btw good people?

Beans is listed under the "Freezes Well" section of that book utilized in the movie "Steel Magnolias".

So yep. I'm gonna freeze some for my Mom for Mother's Day. And some for future barbecues. And some for...

I dunno WHAT made me buy 20 lbs. of Pinto Beans yesterday, except maybe a longing for a Sunday dinner when I was eight years old...

The least I can do is bring one meal back to me mum, eh?

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
6 posted 2010-05-04 09:56 PM

LOL Karen, I often do something like that. I cooked up a batch of brussel sprouts one day last month and I really liked them so much I was using them for snacks later that night.
I know I sauted them and added honey and forget what else.I bought more and tried to duplicate the first batch but it did not  come up any where near that first batch.

latearrival

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
7 posted 2010-05-05 10:52 PM

K --the girl that lived up the street from me in LaPlace made the best Lousianna boiled chicken and rice in the world wish i knew the recipe!!!

and rae the date thing --the best ones i ever had were made with crumbled bacon in the creamed cheese but it was a wine party maybe the wine was fabulious LOL

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2010-05-05 11:11 PM

Only mah slick lady would know to crumble meats into a boil...

*beaming atchoo*

Seriously, it wasn't much, but it made a difference in texture.

Damn-but-I-love-yer-southern-arse...

*laughing*

I do.

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
9 posted 2010-05-06 12:06 PM

back at cha
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2010-05-08 02:53 PM

Helen, you make southern arse?  Awesome!

Can I have the cornbread recipe when you get time K?  Love that stuff!

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
11 posted 2010-05-08 08:56 PM

And now you made me all hungry again. Anybody in for desert? Like caramel/chocolate icecream with lots of whipped cream, or vanilla icecream with hot cherries poured all over and covered with whipped cream.

Good thing I live far away LOL

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
12 posted 2010-05-11 08:43 PM

I, too, grew up with that can of bacon grease, but now it's olive oil or water instead....not even butter. I'm soaking beans to cook in the crock pot tomorrow. I'll have to spice them up with lots of herbs, tomato sauce and turkey ham (don't  use pork products either).  

It's like learning to cook all over again now with a very low salt, low calorie diet.  Plus my husband eats no pork products at all.

Meals were a no-brainer until this challenge came along and believe me, I'm lost.  Yesterday I made biscuits with honey,low-fat cream cheese, and reduced-fat chicken broth in them. they were edible but sure didn't taste like biscuits I'm used to.

Wish I could trade some beans with yours, K.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Blowing my own horn

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary