navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Canada vs USA (such mixed emotions) Let The Game Begin!
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Canada vs USA (such mixed emotions) Let The Game Begin! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2010-02-28 02:40 PM

OMG this town has gone absolutely crazy.  Horns are honking, fireworks during the day, and people having beer for breakfast!  I can't even explain the energy here today to you.  

Such a mixed emotion day, I love all you guys down there you know that right?  However, I have to say, on my home turf,

GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO

Don't forget to watch the Closing Ceremonies and look for me won't you?  I will be in a red and white jersey like thousands of others there. LOL

© Copyright 2010 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2010-02-28 05:58 PM

YES!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2010-02-28 09:49 PM

You've every reason to be rightfully proud!
Canada is a first class act...and then some!
We have known that all along...
knowing YOU as we do!

Congrats and

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
3 posted 2010-02-28 10:41 PM

What a time it was!  Every emotion played a part as the death of one competitor took place, and a very brave Canadian gal skated to honor her late mom who passed during the games  The winners, the games, competition, snow, rain, broken skate lace, ceremonies and all.  A marvelous time.  Thank God for our big screen TVs as we felt as though we were right there.  Congratulations to one and all.
Your country made everyone welcome and thankful, Sharon.

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
4 posted 2010-03-01 12:22 PM

Yay!

Canada!

Way to go!

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2010-03-01 08:39 AM

I think I saw you - You were the one jumping up and down, weren't you?...

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2010-03-01 01:00 PM

Good grief! Win a gold medal or two and you think you're really something. Well....you ARE!  

The Canadian athletes did themselves proud and I salute them. The hockey final was everything one could have hoped for (Americans excluded, of course.) It was good for the Americans because their college team beat the Canadian NHL All-Stars in the first game and them took them to overtime in the final...not bad for a team that wasn't even supposed to be a contender. It was good for the Canadians because....they won! National pride in their national sport was preserved and I tip my hat to them for their great achievement in winning both the men and women championships. We are all North Americans and with the US winning the medal count and the Canadians winning the gold count, we clearly showed those Europeans and Russians with all of their fancy mountains and things how to win. It was an Olympic event!

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2010-03-01 01:32 PM

You know the most lasting memory I will keep?  We showed patriotism, in my opinion for the first time in my lifetime, REALLY out loud and proud, all across Canada!

Having been to the States so many times mostly to visit some of you folks, the 4th of July with Nan actually made me so proud of your patriotism, and the way you showed it.  I guess we had it all the time, just never found a reason to express it.

Hockey is Canada! Plain and simple. I can remember being taken to the frozen pond as a kid, like every other kid here in Canada, to learn to chase a puck around.  Especially back east, dinner is shared watching a hockey game, it is inbred from birth if that makes sense?

The United States fought for all they were worth and easily could have won.  They played a great game with all that pressure on them.  However, I am so glad we won on home turf because of the the new shared patriotism and pride all Canadians now feel because of these games.  If we had of lost, we would still be proud, but not as LOUD!

I am sorry like most Canadians that they are over, and so are all the athletes.  I think my city and province did a fantastic job, and I can only PRAY the bill isn't too high after this, but if it is, it was worth it - just like the cost of our health care.      

Three things a Canadian doesn't want to ever do without, hockey games, dental plans, and health care.

Congratulations to the USA for obtaining (as usual) the most medals.  

For those of you who want to relive some moments of this GREAT hockey game here you go:

Canada vs USA

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2010-03-01 02:19 PM

I forgot to show you the new flag, and  bumper stickers that emerged from these games     God Bless The U.S.A. and Canada!

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2010-03-01 04:37 PM

Not as usual at all, Sharon. Thet's the first time the US has won the medal count in over 20 years!

Hockey, dental plans and health care. Yes, I can see where the three go together very well!

Now I shall go back to trying to figure out how Canada lost one game, the US lost one game, and Canada wins....must be that new math!

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2010-03-01 06:04 PM

Oh I stand corrected on the US Michael, well that is even more reason to celebrate.  You have such great athletic young people down there, and I respect them all.

Process of elimination - it is a science this hockey but very similar to the elimination of baseball.  It could have easily gone your way too.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
11 posted 2010-03-01 08:54 PM

Sharon,I told the story on face book about 1969 when we built our home in Guilford Conn.  We had a couple of painters come to paint the ceilings. The men were walking all around on stilts and just painting away. When my husband  came home he was stunned. He was an avid  hockey  fan and knew all the Canadian  players by sight.Imagine how   thrilled he was to see two of the players  up on stilts painting his ceilings! AND i am sorry, he is gone now and I do not remember the names of the players. jo
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
12 posted 2010-03-02 12:31 PM

What a cute story.  Nice to remember those moments.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Canada vs USA (such mixed emotions) Let The Game Begin!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary