navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » A Birthday Note to my Teacher, Balladeer
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Birthday Note to my Teacher, Balladeer Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!

0 posted 2009-08-18 12:01 PM

Dear Balladeer,

Happy Birthday!

I had thought about writing a birthday poem in your honor, but I decided to thank you again instead.  You see, I don’t want to go on and on about how much you are helping me develop as a poet – but I am going to do just that.    I recently responded to a poem in the PiP Archives  about how much you have helped me.  Everything that I wrote there is true.  You have become my teacher and, as my teacher, I want to show you that your efforts have not been wasted.  So, my friend, every poem that I write in the Workshop is for you.  As I recently wrote to you, you have made me want to tighten up my poems in terms of structure and you have made me want to delve deeper into content.  I am trying.  I am not there yet, but I am learning.  I am learning from you.  

Thank you.

About a year or so ago, I was wandering in the Workshop and attempting various styles of poetry that I read about in pervious lessons on the Open Board.  One day I got a letter from Marge telling me she had noticed and was going to try to get the Workshop going again.  It was not the first time that I had seen the “power of Marge” in action – but, I am forever grateful to her.  She did her Marge-magic and here I am a year later – still plugging along with you as my teacher.  Sometimes, I think I 'get' it and other times, I still ram my head into my monitor.  That hurts, but it kind of pounds some sense into my thick head.

Balladeer, I thank you.  Thank you for teaching me.   Thank you for your patience.  Thank you for your sense of humor.  Thank you for the challenging lessons.  But, above all, thank you for caring for me and everyone who reaches out to you for help.  I can’t believe how much you have given us in terms of time and knowledge.  When I write that first book – I promise you the dedication.  In the meantime, when I publish in my first magazine – you will know that there is a silent dedication to you.  

I am sending happy birthday wishes to you, Michael Mack.  Thank you for giving me the gift of you – the time of you.  

Thank you.

A very grateful,
Alison

© Copyright 2009 Alison - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2009-08-18 12:42 PM

Wow, Alison, I don't really know what to say. I'm not used to such glowing tributes (unless I write 'em myself!) I'm really glad I have been able to help you in whatever way with your writing. As I have said once before, I don't create the pearl - I just polish it. You have come so far with your poetry it's just amazing. The easiest person to teach or guide is the person that really wants to learn and you have always had that desire to better yourself and I admire you greatly for that. I don't think you can be stopped when you set your mind to something!

Thank you for the birthday wishes, my friend...I appreciate it - and you.

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
2 posted 2009-08-18 07:32 AM

Balladeer,
Agreeing with Alison, adding my best wishes for your Birthday.
Your sometimes "thorn in the side" though not so mush of late.
Doc

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2009-08-18 08:25 AM

Thanks, doc. I'd hate to be considered mush!
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
4 posted 2009-08-18 08:51 AM

happy happy birthday michael

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2009-08-18 09:03 AM

To what was said, for what will be said...

Happy Day, 'Deer!

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
6 posted 2009-08-18 01:35 PM

Happy Birthday, Michael. Wishing you the healthiest and happiest of years~~

M

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2009-08-18 02:34 PM

Listen up you!  I expect you to live a long time, and be happy doing it too!  I have yet to come and rattle those Florida chains, and I plan on doing that - when it is not too hot.  Does that ever happen there?  

Wishing you nothing but the best Michael, and you know every word Alison said is so true.  You are one of the fortunate ones who "got" what life is about, giving away more than you take.      

Mysteria

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2009-08-18 02:45 PM

My thanks to all of you for helping me celebrate the day my mother looked down at me and said, "So stop the whining already!!!"
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
9 posted 2009-08-18 03:00 PM

You'll never know
how much you've given me,
so....knuffels and hugs
to you Balladeer.

You're skilled in many ways
and I'll never forget
those beautiful days
in Florida.

Still hear your voice,
reciting poems,
remembering your humor,
see that twinkle in your eyes.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend and I wish there will be many more to celebrate.

Dutchie Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
10 posted 2009-08-18 03:26 PM

Thank you, my dutchie! I'll never forget those days, either....

Gigantic knuffels to you!

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
11 posted 2009-08-18 04:44 PM

Birthday blessings to the Meter Meister!

Wishing you a year of continued healing and joyfulness!

I too, am one of those who is grateful for your teachings in the Poetry Workshop! Thanks, Teach!

Giving you a big, birthday hug and a kiss on both cheeks! (The ones on your face, silly goose! )

+

Linda

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
12 posted 2009-08-18 04:45 PM

...Happy Day Deer One...

Nan's Morsels Writers' Blog

crosscountry83
since 2009-07-30
Posts 345

13 posted 2009-08-18 11:28 PM

It's Balladeer's birthday!  Alison said it wonderfully, and even though I'm new here, you've helped me sooo much.  This day should be a national holiday!

Rileigh

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
14 posted 2009-08-19 02:46 AM

A little late but you should be wishd a happy birthday anyway. Take care of yourself. You have many things to finish  and you many years ahead. latearrival.
brneyedgrly
since 2009-06-08
Posts 1125
nowhere and everywhere
15 posted 2009-08-19 09:38 PM

yah...I'm always last to class  

hope your day was wonderful, deer

browneyedgirl  

**kiss in the mail    

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
16 posted 2009-08-20 06:39 PM

Late again.  That wouldn't be from age, now would it?  

Belated Happy Birthday
          Wishing you many more
           In good health and
            Just enough wealth.

God bless,
Rae

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
17 posted 2009-08-20 08:33 PM

Balladeer,
And just as a side note, how 'bout this Alison? Can't think of enough good things to say about her as a student of the craft, on top of that she's the official Birthday greeter. Myself, I'm humbled by all you good people who make the time to make this place work, officially or un-officially.
As you said, wouldn't want to be considered as "mushy", but my thanks to you all.
Oh wait, this was your Birthday greeting, Happy B-day again.
Doc

Oklahoma Rose
since 2008-02-28
Posts 1586
Oklahoma USA
18 posted 2009-08-20 10:56 PM

Oh my gosh! I thought I had wished you a Happy Birthday, Balladeer! But, I can't find it. I am so very sorry. I wouldn't have missed wishing you a Happy Birthday for nothing in the world. I hope you had the best birthday ever. Here is a birthday hug for you. A Big One!
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
19 posted 2009-08-24 03:19 PM

Sorry I'm late, Deer One... I'll spare you the excuses and just say... life doesn't get kinder as we get older, does it? *S*

On the other hand... friends become all the more dear... I guess it's a fair trade. *S*

I hope it was a great one... The case of spam is in the mail. *G*

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » A Birthday Note to my Teacher, Balladeer

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary