navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » A Sobering Mardi Gras
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Sobering Mardi Gras Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2009-02-24 05:15 PM

Since it has apparently made national news, I thought I'd check in.

Six people were shot today, while attending the city's signature Krewe of Rex parade.

I couldn't shake a fever so I opted to stay home, but please pray--my daughter is out there, somewhere. (Without my permission, btw...but sigh, she's nearly 18.)

If she's not home before dark I will lose what is left of my mind.

This is terrifying to me, and heartbreaking.

Nothing can happen to her.

So please, pray with me.

© Copyright 2009 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2009-02-24 05:46 PM

You're right, Sis. Nothing can happen to her when you put her on the "keep her safe" list with us Pipsters. She's going to be okay. Well, maybe not when she gets home, right?

Smack softly...and tell her that you've got "eyes" out there...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2009-02-24 06:15 PM

And a very effective prayer group, and my own krewe of flying monkeys.

In other words, Dad tracked her sassy butt and she is now on her way home.

And whew, I'm sweating relief.

A long afternoon, and I was so sick to my stomach that the dog threw up for me.

Now that's loyalty!

I love you guys.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2009-02-24 06:52 PM

Oh, Karen! I just now saw this, and am so glad dad corralled the young filly and brought her back safely. Huge sigh of relief....

Your dog is truly compassionate and loyal!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2009-02-24 07:02 PM

Pray for the victims as well, please. Miraculously, none have lost their life as of yet.

One of them was a one year old baby boy.

As for my daughter--well?

Does anybody happen to know the caloric value of a big heaping bowl of karma?

oh my...

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
5 posted 2009-02-24 07:03 PM

thank God !!!
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

6 posted 2009-02-24 09:24 PM

I'm glad she is home safely, Karen. I remember those days too well. (((HUGGS)))

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
7 posted 2009-02-24 09:24 PM

Good grief I am SO glad to hear she is ok! give her a grrrr from this mommie too
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2009-02-24 10:07 PM

Thank you.

I'm getting to where I'm a bit superstitious--if I have a world wide anxiety attack, then it won't happen?

*wince*

sigh

I have obvious anxiety issues, folks. And as I told a friend privately, I'm having an especially difficult time with my daughter at this age--and it's not so much because of her, as it is my own life at her age. We relive our lives at every stage of our children's growth, and mine was especially ugly at my daughter's age.

I had terrible judgement, and a lot of bad things happened to me as a result.

But I'm happy to report, she came home, and she is sober--she's militantly anti-drug and drink, so I'm blessed in that regard.

And oh yes, I do still love my city, and I will continue to sing her praises. I will say that if you don't know the city, and which spots are hot spots for danger--buy a ticket for a seat in the reviewing stands for the parades.

The krewes throw generously, and although nothing guarantees anyone's safety, anywhere, that would be the place I'd suggest to my friends to be--unless they were privy to a private party along the route.

And for those who have been through the party mill of Mardi Gras, then you know--by the time Fat Tuesday rolls around? You are actually ready to take it easy.

I spent my day reading about the Gods, m'self.

sigh

My daughter just might grow up before I do.

Heh-heh?

Thank you all, and continue prayers, especially for that baby.

I don't know what's gone wrong here, but please know such violence is rare enough at parades to shock even us native veterans of The Greatest Free Show on Earth.

nodding...

New Orleans has had problems, but we're working hard to overcome them.

Thanks for holding my hand.

And I do trust my daughter.

It's just the rest of the world...

*shaking my head*

She's just too damned beautiful.

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
9 posted 2009-02-24 11:19 PM

Karen,

I am so happy that your daughter made it home safe and sound.  She sounds beautiful inside and out - afterall, she does know which books her Mom will love.  I have always wanted to visit New Orleans and one day I will.

I am happy that all worked out well for you.  I'd lend you some fingernails to bite, but I take care of those on my own.

Alison

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
10 posted 2009-02-25 01:04 PM

Hi Karen *waving* I am so glad your daughter got home safely!! Yep, I know this too.....

I'm having an especially difficult time with my daughter at this age--and it's not so much because of her, as it is my own life at her age. We relive our lives at every stage of our children's growth, and mine was especially ugly at my daughter's age.

I had terrible judgement, and a lot of bad things happened to me as a result.

My Dad told me so many times that he hoped I had a daughter just like me. Well, she gave me even more problems than I did my parents. But, she is so sweet when she wants to be. lol
Love you, lady,
Ethel

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
11 posted 2009-02-25 10:12 PM

There's no sweeter relief than having a teen you've been wringing your hands over, come in safe and sound.  Thank God for that.  Been there, done that a few times.  Give her and your hubby hugs from me and of course, I send you some, Karen.

The shooting was extremely upsetting, especially when so much has been done to restore and move forward.  Again, I thank God no one was killed.

God bless,
Rae

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

12 posted 2009-02-26 02:23 AM

Ah, Karma!  The only way I've ever been able to get any down is in Karma Korn, which is very high calorie and bad for your teeth.  I confess I've eaten far more than my share in my time.

I'm glad you were able to do some belated worrying for yourself at that age.  I'm very happy your daughter is doing well.  I have no idea how people manage to get themselves disentangled in their heads from their children, as you've pointed out in your earth-wise way.

I've very happy, too, to hear your voice.

BK

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
13 posted 2009-02-26 02:58 AM

Good grief I leave you for a few hours, and all hell breaks loose!  I am so glad that Krista is okay.  Thank Annie for throwing up for you, as you have had enough sickness for a while lady.   Oh man, I can't tell you how many times I have been the 13th comment, talk about superstition.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
14 posted 2009-02-26 11:13 AM

Karen, I only saw this now, and I am too late to pray for Krista's safe return, but will pray for the people who were shot, especially the one-year old.  I didn't see it on our news (well, not yet) if it was on.  I am so sorry to hear about it.  

Is the Annie who threw up for you your AnnabellaCindarellaDonatella (can't remember her full name properly, but love it when I hear it)?  I hope she is fine.  Please pat her and give her huggles and kissles from Auntie Di.  

I am not surprised that Krista is beautiful.  As I said about your current photo and the one with the boa and the tiara, you look like Miss World yourself!

Owl

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
15 posted 2009-02-28 07:59 PM

I totally understand a mother's fear and paranoia! I have had my own share of that with my daughters. Like you said, you trust your daughter ~ It's just the rest of the world. Ain't that the truth! It's crazy out there! Even though my daughters are now young women, I still want to shelter them from the 'madding crowd'!

"she's militantly anti-drug and drink, so I'm blessed in that regard." ~ Blessed, indeed!

"My daughter just might grow up before I do."
~ I hearya, sistah! lol Sometimes I wonder who the parent is, myself! I learn a great deal from my daughters, as well!

Linda

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » A Sobering Mardi Gras

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary