navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » NIU Shootings
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic NIU Shootings Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA

0 posted 2008-02-15 09:55 PM

It's a sad day here.  Now another student has died bringing the total to 7, including the shooter, who was an honor graduate student of NIU and helped teach in the very hall he entered with the guns yesterday.

We moved here in 2004, when Becca (Whtdove) was in treatment.  We're 4-5 miles north of NIU. Flags were all at half mast today and many business signs read that prayers are being offered for NIU.

One of my daughters attended NIU and she now has 2 daughters at Southern Illinois University, where this gunman had been in a class just a couple months ago.

Please take a moment to pray for the survivers of those dead and ask for an end to this craziness.

Thanks,
  Rae

© Copyright 2008 Rae Petersen - All Rights Reserved
Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
1 posted 2008-02-15 09:59 PM

gosh, the reports we have seen here are tragic indeed... I hope your daughters continue to be safe Rae... my prayers are indeed for those who have been affected by this tragedy... love RDB

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
2 posted 2008-02-15 10:13 PM

sigh!!!!
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2008-02-16 02:32 AM

Rae,

It is hard to grasp the reality of such a tradegy and understand what circumstances would provoke someone from doing such a unspeakable act.  I think it would be even more difficult to forgive and release the bitterness and anger.  Special prayers to everyone who is experiencing this needless loss.  

I feel for your family and all the students, friends, and family affected by this.  Even the shooters family... How they must be questioning and hurting.

God speed to all of those in need.  

misce'

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
4 posted 2008-02-16 10:18 AM

Thanks for reading and posting.  Yes, the shooter's mom died in 2006, and his father is horribly upset.  I didn't see anything about siblings.  It's now come to light that he had a mental problem and was hospitalized for it some time ago.  It's just so sad for all concerned.  It's hard for other students to move on, with this on their minds.  That hall is one of the largest and practically all students have been in there.

Area churches have invited people to gather for spiritual strengthening.

Rae

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2008-02-16 01:56 PM

I have been searching the net and watching CNN to find out what could have made him flip out like that! Not only am I praying for those whose lives have been so brutally taken away from them ~ and their family and friends ~ but I also pray for the soul of that young man. It boggles the mind how something like this could  be perpetrated by someone who up until now, appeared to be living a productive, exemplary life.

I am sickened to my very core that those students with bright, promising futures ahead of them, were struck down so senselessly. What is it coming down to? ~ Are we going to have to have guards standing at the doorways to every educational institution?!?

As for you, dear Rae, all of this is just a little too close for comfort, to your own family!!!

Dear God, please stop this insanity!!!

Linda

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
6 posted 2008-02-16 11:43 PM

Indeed, this is so sad, Rae.  Prayers are sent for all those grieving.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » NIU Shootings

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary