navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Question About Medical Emergency Alert Systems
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Question About Medical Emergency Alert Systems Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

0 posted 2007-07-03 07:38 AM

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has ever used an Emergency Response System for their parents...and if so, which ones and/or, do you have any helpful feedback on their reliability.

1.  What system did you use

2.  Were you pleased with the system

3.  Why or Why not?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks so very much

Lee J.

© Copyright 2007 Lee J. - All Rights Reserved
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
1 posted 2007-07-03 12:33 PM

Lee... I'm afraid I don't have the name of the system we went with for my Dad - both equipment and paperwork are at his house (and my memory's not so great *G*)

But... I can tell you some things about it. He didn't want a system that automatically dialed 911 - and frankly, with him living out in the country, neither did we. We needed something more immediate.

He wore a button on a cord around his neck. If he needed help, he pressed on that button and the system started dialing 5 phone numbers that we'd chosen and programmed into it - in the order we'd chosen. It would continue to dial those numbers, rolling from one to another, until someone answered. The stationary unit had a speaker system so that when someone answered, he could speak from whereever he was and the caller could hear - the unit also broadcast the caller's voice without him having to answer the phone. In case he couldn't speak, my sister programmed a message that would tell anyone answering that call who and where he was and that he needed help immediately.

We programmed in my sister's number and mine and those of 2 of his closest neighbors and used 911 as the 5th number... a last resort in case no one else answered. But out of the 4 of us, someone always did.

It had a range of 1/4 mile, which pretty much protected him all over the farm. He was mad because it didn't work once when he fell... but he was almost 2 miles away from the base unit! *S*

Like I said... that doesn't give you the brand... but things we considered were 1) whether the button was waterproof or at least water resistant in case he wore it into the shower 2) what kind of range the system offered -  how close did he have to be to the base unit for it to work 3) who would be monitoring for any calls he might make - some of the systems notify 911, others dial into their company which in turn notifies 911... in our case, we chose to do the monitoring ourselves by programming in our cell numbers and keeping those phones with us, plus enlisting the help of some neighbors and using 911 only in case none of  us could answer (which actually made him use the system more than he would have if he'd thought strangers would be responding) We also looked for a system that had a long-lasting battery backup, in case his electricity failed.

I'd say the most important thing is to get something that the person who'll be using it is comfortable with... otherwise, you're asking for them to "forget" to wear their button. *S*

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2007-07-03 04:39 PM

You might try ADT companion service. Though they operate from Florida, ADT does service the PA area, and has provided quick response here when needed. 1-800-568-1216
Hope this helps.
Kacy

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2007-07-03 07:33 PM

Check your email!

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
4 posted 2007-07-04 12:47 PM

Years ago, we had a system from Security Watch, out of Havertown, Pa... They had a system that would automatically call the ambulance or the police, or some such instead of just dialing 911. I don't know any real information about them other than the system was free, and the monitoring was very reasonable.

Give them a call at:
(610) 924-0110

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2007-07-04 02:25 AM

If they sell it there, Philips is a great system, and very similar to the one Ruth has mentioned above.  This is the one that our hospitals use for permanent care patients, and when I did volunteer they never had a problem with these ones, they worked great!  Here is the link for their Canadian division for you. http://www.lifeline.ca/index.php
and here is the American division as well. http://www.lifelinesys.com/

aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
6 posted 2007-07-04 06:35 PM

Hi Lee
http://www.lifealert.com

My Mother started wearing a Life Alert bracelet last year.  It looks almost like a watch and I believe she also has a necklace to use if she prefers.

She saw the ad in the Parade magazine of our local Sunday paper.  I have to admit that I was skeptical.  It costs her 50 some dollars a month (I believe) and I was concerned it was simply another gadge to bilk eldery.  However she looked into it and talked to the people who respond.  I think they are based out of NYC (and I think she told me that they work out of the Empire State Building, but I am not totally sure about that part).  

She has a radius of about 100 feet from the main box to maneuver around in.  She can easily go out on her deck, etc and still be within range.

I still was unsure about the effectiveness until I was at her house one day.  We had had a power outage and as we were talking, I looked out the window.  A State Trooper car and an ambulance were pulling up to her yard.

When the power goes off, someone speaks to her from her box (little people live in there ~ grins) and she assures them that she is okay.  This day, she assured them but they did not get her response.  They immediately sent out a response team to her.

I found out that the Life Alert people do not call 911 (at least, in Alaska - which is where we are).  They contact the State Trooper office directly.

So now we have the number to the Troopers and if the power goes off and this happens again, my Mom will simply call the Troopers too and tell them not to come out.

So, I have to say that I am "sold" on the system that she has.  It provides a feeling of comfort to my Mom -- and I don't think her money is wasted any longer.

Hope this helps.

Alison

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

7 posted 2007-07-05 09:03 PM

Hello all

Boy, I am so gratful to all of you for your great reviews.  I don't believe there is any greater way to find out about a product then to speak to people who've already used it.

I believe we've decided to go with LifeAlert...as we've heard so many positive things about it..not to mention, when anyone needed help, and they pushed the button, it was fullproof.

Does anyone remember that commercial..."I've fallen down and I can't get up"  well, my sister heard that product was a scam and it didn't work.  She spoke to numerous people  

We also like LifeAlert b/c it is associated with the Red Cross.

Many many thanks to all of you for taking the time to help us with this decission..

My best to you all
Love
Lee J.

aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
8 posted 2007-07-05 11:44 PM

Good luck to you, Lee.  I know this is a difficult road .. if you ever need an ear, let me know.

A

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2007-07-06 07:46 AM

Good decision, LeeJ.  In our area, it costs about a $1.00 a day.  Which isn't bad at all...

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

10 posted 2007-07-10 01:40 PM

many thanks

all is well...not to fret....in the end, it seems everything always has a way of working out.

Thanks again to all of you for your input...
Bigggggg Huggggs

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
11 posted 2007-08-10 10:35 PM

I don't know if I've asked before or not but are you near me? I live about 45 miles northeast of State College, PA.
Ruth

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Question About Medical Emergency Alert Systems

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary