navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Prayers
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Prayers Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

0 posted 2007-05-05 12:28 PM

It appears a major tornado has struck the town of Greensburg here in Kansas.

Initial reports are sketchy as communications to the town are down, including the sheriff and police departments.

They are now sending in emergency personel from adjoining counties to assist in search and rescue and to transport the injured to Wichita and surrounding hospitals.  They are trying to get the air med helicopters into the area.

Apparently the tornado has just moved into the county to the west of us and would be 90 miles or so southwest of Sunshine. Salina is not in the line of the storm at this time.

Please keep the residents of Greensburg in your prayers and those in the path of the tornado.

They just announced a second town is directly in the path of the tornado which has been on the ground for over thirty miles.  

They just announced the damage path is a mile wide through Greensburg and have called for anyone with medical training in this part of the state who can should go to Greensburg to assist.

© Copyright 2007 Tim - All Rights Reserved
Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

1 posted 2007-05-05 01:03 AM

they just confirmed the tornado hit the second town.  The storm is about thirty miles straight west of us.
It is an awesome lightening display to the west.

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

2 posted 2007-05-05 01:18 AM

They just announced the downtown area of Greensburg is virtually gone.

The tornado is still on the ground and entering another county.  It is about twenty-five miles from us now and has passed us to the west.  

It should pass to the west of Salina also.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2007-05-05 01:52 AM

Dear Lord I saw this was coming on our news in Canada, and thought about my friends down there.  You sure have my thoughts and prayers, and to all those that was in this path, may they find the strength to get through this.   By the way Tim, to me no lightning or thunder is awesome - it scares the beejillies out of me.

Prayers are out there for Sunshine and her family, and Cphat Hair and his, and of course any other members in that area.  Hope you all keep us posted, and that any damage sneaks past all of you.

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

4 posted 2007-05-05 02:04 AM

Mysteria, tornadoes are a common occurence down here, but this is a big one.

Usually they die down by this time of night, but this one just keeps going.  

It went by to the west of us, but in its present path, it should come pretty close to Salina in an hour or two.  It looks like it will go to the west of Salina, but you never can be sure.  I suspect Sunshine is watching the skies pretty close right now.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2007-05-05 02:16 AM

My American geography is not up to par, so I just looked at a good map.  Well, in light of the horrific event going on, I found something that made me actually smile. It was that I realized where the saying,  "Get Out Of Dodge" must have come from.  I didn't even know there was a real Dodge City, and hope they are not in the path of this.  I also did a bit of research and saw people down there actually "chase" these things?  I think I will be praying for them too.  
Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

6 posted 2007-05-05 02:19 AM

you made me smile, yes, Dodge City exists, they still have the Long Branch saloon and real live cowboys.

The tornado has caused damage to four towns now, but has switched to a more northern path and should pass to the county to the west of Sunshine's home.  They just issued a tornado warning for the county to the west, so it appears Salina is safe.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2007-05-05 02:26 AM

That's great news, thanks for posting it, now I can actually sleep knowing our friends are safe.  Amazing how close you become to people in this place, that you will probably never even meet.  The internet has created some good at least anyway.

I am glad you and your family are safe Tim.  Take care.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
8 posted 2007-05-05 07:32 AM

My prayers are certainly with all of those in the path of these horrific tornadoes~

Having felt the brunt of the Christmas Day 2006, tornadoes here in Florida and again just a couple of months ago (where many of our neighbors just down the road lost all they had) ... I can sympathize with all of those who have lost so much~

Hoping that all our PiP members check in with us to let us know they are safe~

Thank you, Tim for the news~

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -             noles1@totcon.com

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
9 posted 2007-05-05 08:31 AM

Thank you, Tim - For keeping us updated on the progress of this sad and catastrophic news.  Heartfelt prayers are abundant for all in harm's way.  Please continue to let us know how all of these communities are faring...

Many thanks..

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2007-05-05 09:39 AM

Greensburg may end up being a literal ghost town.  Most of it was destroyed.  The reports this morning state that the death loss thus far has been but one. I'm afraid, though, as the search and rescue missions begin, there will be more.

Even the local hospital in Greensburg was destroyed, and the hospital patients were evacuated to Pratt.

Salina is 151 miles away from Greensburg.  Tim is a little closer from his location.  Tim, I'm glad you're OK.  Cpat and his family are on the east side of the state, so I am fairly sure he is ok as well.

Like Tim, we had the heavy winds, a lot of lightening from midnight on, and some rain.  

Please, folks, keep your prayers out there for the families in the areas that were hit.  It's going to be a long spell for all of them.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

11 posted 2007-05-05 09:47 AM

They will all be in my prayers. I'm glad all my Passions buddies are okay.

Thanks for the info Tim and Karilea. I didn't watch the news yet today.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
12 posted 2007-05-05 10:08 AM

With hurricanes here in Florida you get enough warning to evacuate. With a tornado there is no time.

My prayers and thoughts go out to anyone suffering loss of life or home today. Sad. Very sad.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2007-05-05 10:11 AM

I've sent an email to Smartchick as I'm not sure if she was in the path of the Oklahoma weather.  Forecasts for today are "more of the same."

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/towns/Greensburg/
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/towns/Greensburg/history.html

As you can view from the link, Greensburg was a quaint, tourist town.

The only saving grace that most homeowners would have in their area are their basements.  My prayers are with the search and rescue teams, that they will uncover a lot of people who made it through.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
14 posted 2007-05-05 10:48 AM

http://www.cnn.com:80/2007/WEATHER/05/05/severe.weather/index.html

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
15 posted 2007-05-05 11:51 AM

Tim and Karilea...Thank you for letting us know.  I'm sending my tornado-be-gone equipment as I write this and I know that you guys will be fine.  I have it on good authority.  All of those already touched by this weather are in my thoughts.  
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
16 posted 2007-05-05 12:55 PM

I was glad to read they got those 30 people rescued from the hospital that collapsed, but so sorry for the folks of that town.  I had no idea there was no warning given on these twisters.  I am just glad those I know are okay and will be praying for, and watching how to help the rest.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
17 posted 2007-05-05 01:28 PM

There was a siren going for 15 minutes, Sharon, before the winds cut power, and the system collapsed due to loss of electricity.  The schools, hospital, stores, shops...just about everything has been eradicated.

The City Manager, however, states that rebuilding will occur.  It will take time.  They are still searching for more people.

The storms in Kansas are beginning to build again to the West of Hutchinson and Salina.  It will be another day/night to watch.  To all my Kansas friends who may be reading, take care.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
18 posted 2007-05-05 01:34 PM

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2001/04/26/3/?nc=1

The last big tornado to do a lot of damage to a Kansas town was five years ago in April, 2001.  For those of you who have never lived in "tornado alley" or in areas that experience such weather, you'd be surprised at the tenacity [much like Louisianans] and the fact that everyone doesn't think to leave, but indeed, come back, and rebuild.

Startime55
Member Elite
since 2003-04-05
Posts 2148
Alberta, Canada
19 posted 2007-05-05 01:59 PM

My prayers are with you all...I pray there are no more twisters today or tonight...
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
20 posted 2007-05-05 05:44 PM

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/counties/#cmap

Here is a link that names both cities, and counties, as well as provides you all with a map.  It will help a bit if you are watching/listening, to know where towns and their counties are.  

I want to thank those of you who have emailed me and others to ask about our area.  We've had several storms pop up all over the area.  It's just the season.  However, I continue to pray that any other tornadoes that decide to clean house will do it out in the fields where the dessicated wheat is laying down from our 18 degree weather a few weeks ago.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
21 posted 2007-05-05 07:43 PM

My heartfelt sympathies to all who have suffered from nature's destructive side.
Hold your loved ones close....

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
22 posted 2007-05-05 07:59 PM

Tim may join in again soon.  His area is under more concern than mine is at this time.  Keep in mind, folks, that most of our state have homes that have basements in town  and/or cellars out in the farm areas, and that is our safe guard in most instances.

Again, I thank those who have been checking in via email and IM.  It's a scary time, yes, and those who watch the skies and the news just "know" that bad weather is part and parcel of the midwest.

Hugs to you all.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
23 posted 2007-05-06 10:57 AM

I heard from SmartChick/Sue, she's fine ... says all she was getting was some high winds ... but A-Okay there~

The televised devastation is horrible ... keeping all in prayer vigil~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -             noles1@totcon.com

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
24 posted 2007-05-06 11:26 AM

That was really rough! I join in prayer for all involved, may all be safe and find help and assistance.
Love,
Margherita

SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
25 posted 2007-05-06 02:29 PM

Hi everyone! I don't know who all lives in Greensburg, Kansas, but please stay safe. The last time we had tornado warnings here in Oklahoma, I was at work and we had to get all the the residents where I work out into the hallway. We had a difficult time with some of the residents. They were so scared. I felt so sorry for them. All I knew to do was put my arms around them and try to comfort them.
Stay safe everyone!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

26 posted 2007-05-06 03:05 PM

I'm so glad that everyone has checked in and is safe.

I am still looking for a safe place to live and there doesn't appear that there is one anymore.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
27 posted 2007-05-06 04:53 PM

Idaho?

Being "safe" is a mental state of mind, too, serenity.  And I'm charging the skies with all of the positive forces of thought that I can...keeping in mind that maybe, just maybe, our drought is finally broken...which, without the rain, brings another disaster of its own kind.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
28 posted 2007-05-06 08:10 PM

I'm glad I live in a country without hurricanes and tornados. They would scare the hell out of me. Only thing we have to watch is that our dykes are staying higher than the sea.
Thoughts go out to all those in the tornado's line.

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
29 posted 2007-05-07 05:30 PM

Thank you, Tim, for posting the thread.  It's good to know our Kansas friends are safe so far.  I've heard there is still weather happening there, too, so please continue to keep us posted.  My prayers are sent to the victims of these horrific tornadoes and for the safety of all.  
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
30 posted 2007-05-07 08:46 PM

By chance, today I spoke with a young woman whose Grandfather lived in Greensburg, Kansas.  He lost his wife four months ago.  He was stuck in his home for about one hour.  He felt lucky to be able to get to Pratt, as he is a diabetic.  He has family in Pratt, Wichita, and Salina.  His granddaughter believes he won't be moving back to help "rebuild" Greensburg at his age.

The schools in and surrounding Greensburg [smaller communities that were hit more by wind than actual tornadoes] are closing their schools for the rest of the year.

Hear in Salina, our St. John's Military School [established in 1888] has ceased the remaining week of classes, and instead, held a small and informal graduation this afternoon, simply because of the flooding in our area.  

In 1993, we had a "good rain".  From a high spot just outside Salina, my husband and I could view all of Solomon Valley and Saline Valley, and we have pictures of the flood waters from that time.  This year, however, they say that the cresting of the flood waters is going to be 5' over what it was in 1993.  What the hard weather in April didn't take out in the wheat, its quite possible that the flood waters will "do under" the remaining wheat that had sprung back in what they call an offshoot crop.  

Get ready for higher bread prices.

Our local area had some drizzle today, but no measurable rain.  We had another 1.5" of rain Sunday night.

So what's selling at the stores?  Wet/dry vacs; fans; and generators.

Probably an overload of info, but again, thank you all for your care, concern, and contact emails.  We really appreciate it!

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
31 posted 2007-05-17 10:32 AM

I'm glad that all the PIPer in that area are safe. My prayers go out to all those who were less fortunate
Ruth

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
32 posted 2007-05-17 08:23 PM

I made several attempts to find out if this particular letter was "fact" or "fiction".  So far, I cannot find it on the internet.  But I did receive this from a trusted friend, who knows only to pass along "the good stuff"

quote:
Grassroot Friends,

Fred Burgess wrote this letter last night.  Though it's addressed to  the  President, we thought you all might understand it better than anyone.  So,  from Fred, here's to you and how we all are in this together.

Dear Mr. President:

My name is Fred Burgess and I lived about 15  miles northeast of  Greensburg,  Kansas near the community of Trousdale in rural Edwards County.  Like Greensburg, my home and several of my neighbors' homes in Edwards, Stafford  and Barton counties were destroyed on May 4th.  Another storm came  through and destroyed even more homes on May 5th.  In addition, many farmers lost irrigation systems, equipment, machinery, crops and cattle.

We have had too many tragedies of late that hit at the heart of the nation, but this disaster really strikes at the soul of the Country.  Greensburg is a rural community that represents the nation's settlement and development from one coast to the other.   This tragedy did not happen to some "1500  residents of rural Kansas" it happened to the Keens, Welchs, Hewitts, and Bob Mosier, and Karen Martin, and the Grizzells and the Pyiatts and all of the other descendants of those pioneers from all over the world who came to America to follow their dreams and build their futures.

I appreciate all of the disaster relief organizations, the federal and state agencies and the local resources that have rallied so quickly to help us cope with that thing which you never imagine can ever happen to you. And, of course, I appreciate the President of the United States being here
to express the nation's grief at our loss and pledge of support for our future.

But in some ways, Mr. President, I almost wish that you would have come a year from now to help us celebrate what can be accomplished with federal, state and local resources all working toward a common goal.  Such a celebration could be a great motivator for agency people, the relief organizations, the state and the local residents to work together to show what can be done when the effort remains focused on the respectful reconstruction of this rural area.

And local component is an important part of this effort.  Although federal and state resources are necessary for such massive recoveries, the local effort is a part of our rural culture.  We must be certain that we acknowledge the grocer in Bucklin who hands out the bread and sodas and ingredients for the ham salad to the church ladies to make the sandwiches to take to the volunteers who are helping those who lost their homes recover what they can.  The grocer helps the church ladies so they can shepherd their meager dollars so later maybe they can help some family that has uninsured medical expenses.  You won't see his picture in a newspaper but his contribution is every bit as important as that of anyone else. We must find ways to accept these gestures and acknowledge them as part of the total picture.

You also won't read about the lady from a nearby town's Convention and  Tourism Bureau who made arrangements for the people affected by the tornadoes to get significant discounts at many of the retail stores in her community.  Her aim is to help stretch the dollars the victims are getting
from Red Cross and others to buy essentials like clothing and shoes and pens and paper and toothbrushes and aspirin.  Obviously this isn't typically the job of someone in a Convention and Tourism Bureau and that is just the point.  Everyone pitches in with whatever skills and talents they have to get the job done. . . without much worrying about whose job it is to do or declaring "it's not my job".  Miraculously, we manage to do these things without much in the way of turf wars or infighting.  If toes do get stepped on we apologize.  Apologies get accepted out here and then we move on.

I appreciate you being here, Mr. President, and also appreciate the effort being put forth by so many groups and individuals. Most of all, I appreciate the respect that you all will show for this rural community as we work together to restore this little part of the soul of America.

A letter from Fred

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
33 posted 2007-05-26 08:15 AM

I can't get into Pip very often or for very long for a while, so didn't know about any of this until today.

I am devastated by the horror of it all and the tears are running down my cheeks (have yet to go in and look at the links!)as we don't have anything like this in South Africa - not even what Titia has in The Netherlands.  My heart goes out to all who have suffered in any way, whether physically, or in fear of what could have happened, and whether Pipsters or not.

Love, hugs and prayers for you all
- Owl  

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
34 posted 2007-05-26 06:55 PM

http://www.ultimatechase.com:80/chase_accounts/Greensburg_Tornado_Damage_Survey.htm

Some of you have probably seen these images.  Some of you, probably haven't.

In the last 20 days or so, our immediate area has seen anywhere from 1" to 14" of rain.  We are now "flood central" and many small towns have been evacuated.  Several homes are taking on water, depending on their locations.  Most crops [at least in my area of the state] are now totally lost.

The Corps of Engineers states that we have not yet seen "the real flood" yet to come.

Y'all stay dry now, y'hear?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Prayers

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary