navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Death is Nothing at All......
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Death is Nothing at All...... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ivordavies
since 2007-01-10
Posts 739
Chester, England

0 posted 2007-02-01 01:53 PM

Last night Joan's natural father died, her natural mother died a few years ago.  We have known George now for some fifteen years and while not very close, we visited often and helped where we could.  Joan was adopted and has already lost all of her real parents and grandparents so death is no newcomer to our household. My parents too have died and we lost our daughter some 12 years ago.

I had considered not posting today and may in fact be too bust to post for the next few days as we will be bust making all the necessary arrangements etc., however, life goes on and whether I am writing about the spiritual or the macabre or just jesting and having a good time, I will continue to post.

Please accept that the words I write, are born of an inner knowledge that even I, at times, do not understand.  Please continue to critique, disagree, argue, laugh, enjoy and have fun,

We will,

Ivor and Joan

The moment created this second, is a  moment that's going to last.
It lives the full spectrum of time, the future, the present and past.

© Copyright 2007 Ivor G Davies - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2007-02-01 02:20 PM

Ivor..(joan too)  February has come to be a time of remembering for me...seems many that I love have chosen this month to pass over.  May your family find peace within memory as I have.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2007-02-01 04:07 PM

Ivor, please give your lovely wife
my heartfelt condolences.  It doesn't
matter how many losses one ever
experiences - another one just adds
to the weight of missing beloved family
and/or friends.

You two sound like wonderful survivors.
As it should be.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2007-02-01 11:44 PM

Ivor,
To you and Joan my condolences. You have more experience in loss than do I. Though I have lost a daughter and my father. Like Martie February brings fond and bold emotions. I pray you experience peace, strength & courage...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

ivordavies
since 2007-01-10
Posts 739
Chester, England
4 posted 2007-02-02 03:59 PM

Martie, Sunshine, Larry,

Thank you for your kind words, I feel for anyone who has suffered a loss, experience is no help.  February is also not a good time for us as this is when our daughter passed away also.

We are in the middle of carrying out the necessary arrangements and following an autopsy it looks like the funeral may be on Friday.  

In a couple of responses I have mentioned 'King of Terrors' a piece of poetry now in the public domain and I have posted this below.  If this is not permitted on this site please feel free to remove it, I will not be offended, but I do feel it means a lot to those who have lost somebody close to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The King of Terrors

Death is nothing at all. It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Nothing has happened.
Everything remains exactly as it was.
I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it.
Life means all that it ever meant
It is the same as it ever was.
There is absolute and unbroken continuity.
What is this death but a negligible accident?
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.

One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!'
So the face speaks. Surely while we speak there is a smile flitting over it; a smile as of gentle fun at the trick played us by seeming death...'

Henry Scott Holland (1847-1918)
Canon of St. Paul's Cathedral
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
5 posted 2007-02-03 05:10 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.  Thank you for posting this poem.  I especially enjoyed it today as it's the 2nd anniversary of Whtdove's (Rebecca) passing.  She's our youngest daughter who posted so much in Spiritual.

God bless,
    Rae

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

6 posted 2007-02-06 03:12 AM

Ivor, please convey  my  sincere condolences to Joan on the death of her father. I have only just read this, or I would have contacted you sooner.

No matter how close or estranged we might be from our parents, they are still our parents and there is a special bond that can never be broken by distance, time or lack of intimacy. We still grieve for what might have been or the loss of what we have.

My sympathies to you both.

Bea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Death is Nothing at All......

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary