navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » SEWASHAM?
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic SEWASHAM? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

0 posted 2006-10-12 11:54 PM

There is a poetry site, poetly.com.  A member named Mercutio has posted numerous poems on that site which are taken off the Passions main site.  
I have attempted to advise the site of the plagarism, but cannot get a response.
I see Sewasham is a member of this forum as well as poetly.com.

Maybe someone will listen to Sewasham on that site?
Or someone else knows how to get a response in regards to the plagarism.

© Copyright 2006 Tim - All Rights Reserved
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
1 posted 2006-10-13 08:56 AM

you got me...I went over there and I couldn't see anything and do not want to become a member either

I would look more into the copyright laws and maybe they have some info somewhere on the net about who to contact to report something like this.

I really don't understand by this post you've written who you are accusing of plagarism though. Maybe I'm dense or it's just too early for my brain.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
2 posted 2006-10-13 09:25 AM

Good work, Tim~
I'm sure if Stephen can help, he will~

I don't recognize the poems credited to Mercutio ... but if they are plagiarized from Passion's main site, then they need to be pulled from that site and the site owners definitely need to be notified~

I would think that Ron and the Admins will be all over it~

Thanks, Tim~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -         noles1@totcon.com     

sewasham
since 2006-09-11
Posts 714
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2006-10-13 10:41 AM

I joined the poetly site for the very reason you have mentioned here. I found a member there who had plagiarized several of my works. I was successful in getting them removed and the member was banished. I sent an e-mail to their administration with a link to my original work and requested a response and immediate removal. The wife of the owner responded very promptly and took care of the matter. I joined the site to repost my work there so members there could see who really wrote the poems. I have since let my membership lapse. I have tracked down numerous plagiarists online and have been successful in getting all of my work removed from their sites. That is how I found this site by the way. I tracked down someone here who had plagiarized a number of my poems. After finding this site and seeing the great writers here I decided to join. Just this week I found a current member here who had been taking poems from here and posting them on myspace without permission and without crediting the authors. I will not name names but after contacting this person all work was removed. There was more there than just mine. Stealing an artists work is one thing that makes me madder than anything. If anyone needs help in contacting the poetly management or would like a copy of what I sent them to get my work removed just give me a shout and I'll be happy to help anyway I can. When I find plagiarists I look to see if I recognize anyones elses work and if I do, I try to notify the original author as I really deplore people who do this. My guess is though that the owner of the work will need to be the one who complains, I'm not sure they will listen to a complaint on someone elses behalf. If you know who wrote the work originally then notify them and it will be up to them to take action. Some sites require a formal complaint with specific verbiage that is in their site policies in order to take action. Many people will just remove the work if confronted directly and sometimes that is the easiest way to deal with it.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2006-10-13 11:15 AM

Stephen~
THANK YOU ... this should help tremendously~

Those of us who pour our lifeblood into our writings detest the very act of plagiarism~

I am working on a Yahoo blog site RIGHT NOW to get my works removed ... this daring plagiarist even had the nerve to change one of the pieces from my Cherokee bloodline ... to reflect his own " Siksika"  Blackfeet bloodline~

*sigh*

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -         noles1@totcon.com     

sewasham
since 2006-09-11
Posts 714
Oklahoma, USA
5 posted 2006-10-13 11:32 AM

You're welcome Marge, I hope it helps. I have found the best way to find plagiarized works is to do a google search on a key phrase in the poem. Using the title doesn't always work because many plagiarists change the title. You might be surprised at how many you find. Good luck on getting your work removed and if I can help let me know. Take care and Have fun. Steve

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

6 posted 2006-10-13 02:05 PM

thanks for the reply sewasham.
I had emailed about my poem which I had found by googling.  No response.
I got no response, then googled the other poems and found them also off the main Passions site and tried to fill out the form to become a member and include in the entry about the plagarism, but still not reply.
I don't even bother anymore if they are on a personal site, but if they are on a poetry site and claim ownership I usually try and get it off.  In this case, it would appear all of the poetry in question by the particular author is plagarized and the majority from Passion's main site.
Ususally I do get a response from poetry sites, but haven't from poetly.com which I why I tried this approach.
I have no idea why they like to plagarize my poetry so much unless it is they want to pick not so good poetry so people won't be suspicious.
Anyway, thanks.

sewasham
since 2006-09-11
Posts 714
Oklahoma, USA
7 posted 2006-10-13 03:49 PM

Hi Tim, the only reason I pursue the private sites is that I have found when a poem starts there without proper recognition it can spread like wildfire with others copying it and re-posting. Some of those re-posting try to do the right thing and give credit to the person they copied it from and then before you know it someone else is receiving credit for your work all over the place. It has happened to me on two patriotic poems I wrote. Someone posted them on Xanga and Myspace, others found them and someone posted them on a military bulletin board saying "if you believe this then re-post it". It spread like wildfire. Now I am very happy the writes were well recieved and I support our military 110% which is why I wrote the poems in the first place but it would have been nice to have been given credit for the work. Try going to a soldier whom you are so grateful to for their service and even politely suggesting you have an issue with the way they obtained your write and used it. Extremely awkward. No way am I going to threaten legal action to someone defending our country, but that does not make it right. Better to just try and nip it in the bud. Just my thoughts. Take care and Have fun. Steve

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
8 posted 2006-10-16 04:08 PM

I am saving this helpful, informative ~ and somewht scary ~ thread. I have nearly 1,200 poems on the net and I have always felt rather vulnerable to anyone plagiarizing any of them. I will be doing as sewasham suggested: "do a google search on a key phrase in the poem".

I sure hope I don't get any unpleasant surprises! I would also like to be informed by anyone who might suspect that any of my work has been plagiarized. I most assuredly will be on the lookout for any that may have been "stolen" from our fellow pipsters.

Tim, I appreciate you drawing this to our attention, as well as all the helpful comments and suggestions that your post has received.

Love & Light,
Linda

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » SEWASHAM?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary