navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Forum Software Update
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Forum Software Update Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US

0 posted 2005-11-08 08:55 AM

In preparation for opening Registrations again, there have been a few changes made to our software base, some few of which I know many of you have already noticed. All of the changes focus on better managing the quality of the forums in the face of accepting new Members into our mix.

* The Registration process itself has changed. New Members must read and understand a summary of our Guidelines well enough to pass a small test before they can register. It's not a hard test, by any means, but it should force people to actually read our rules before agreeing to abide by them.

* The Guidelines have been rewritten to better correspond to the summary of rules presented to new Members. The rules haven't changed, but a few unwritten rules are now written ones.

* We've always asked everyone to limit themselves to posting a maximum of three poems a day, but we've only rarely tried to enforce that policy and never been very successful when we did try. The new software changes now incorporate an automatic counter, limiting everyone to three originating threads in our Poetry and Prose forums per calendar day. Look closely the next time you post a poem and you should see a reminder/counter of your daily post count. This does NOT affect threads started in Discussion forums, nor does it in any way limit comments and replies.

* Every post in the forum, both originating and comments, will now include a new "Inappropriate Content?" icon in the upper right corner of the post. Our Moderating Team can't be everywhere, so we are going to be depending on ALL our Members to help report inappropriate content when it is posted. Clicking the icon will report that specific post, be it a poem or a comment, and give our Moderators a quicker heads-up than would otherwise be possible with our limited coverage. You can choose to file the report completely anonymously, in which case no one will know anything, or you can be identified JUST to the Moderator team, in which case one of them will eventually let you know how the issue was resolved. In no case will anyone outside the Moderator Team know of your involvement. Your help in keeping our house clean will be greatly appreciated and is key to our growth.

I think that's the extent of our changes, though I've probably forgotten something important. As always, if a bug surfaces because of the program changes, please report it in as much detail as possible in the Bug Swatter forum. If there are any questions, feel free to ask them here.

It's been less than 20 hours since the new software went live and Registrations were enabled, and we've already welcomed six new Members (and a few existing Members registering with new names). We will continue to manage our growth, as we've done for most of the last two years, but with the new changes and with YOUR HELP, I hope we can do that without limiting it as much as we have in the past.

Now, get out there and welcome our newbies!

© Copyright 2005 Ron Carnell - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-11-08 09:35 AM

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2005-11-08 09:57 AM

Great work, m'friend - You've outdone yourself yet again...

These changes will surely make this place run smoother for all.

Thank you, thank you - just for being you!!!...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2005-11-08 10:07 AM

WooHoo!!! So does this mean you get to take the holidays off?

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2005-11-08 10:42 AM

I like it!! I'd say more but don't want to be the first one to get an 'inappropriate comment' click.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
5 posted 2005-11-08 10:52 AM

Ron...You've obviously put alot of thought into these changes.  Thank you!
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2005-11-08 11:55 AM

Soon is actually here?  Great changes, Ron.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2005-11-08 12:01 PM

The first time I saw that inappropiate content box, I had to check other posts immediately. I thought it was just ME!

Great job, Ron. You must be good at that "mathy stuff", huh?

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
8 posted 2005-11-08 04:20 PM

This gives us all a little responsibility and it's about time these moderators get a little help.  Thanks, Ron and all your wonderful staff for allowing us to use your expertise for our enjoyment.

Rae

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
9 posted 2005-11-08 04:30 PM

You're the man Ron!
Awesome job.
hugs, Chris

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2005-11-08 08:47 PM

OMG, am I going to have to re-take another test in order to stay here?
You have paid your dues, and then some, to the Gods and Goddesses of Passionate Poetry.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
11 posted 2005-11-09 12:35 PM

The time you have devoted to this wonderful place is very apparent....thank you so much for all you do Ron.  I think the changes are good and I'm sure will help the moderators.   .....jo
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
12 posted 2005-11-09 06:43 AM

The changes in the software are excellent Ron! I'm looking forward to everyone becoming an extension of our moderating team to help us with the new "inappropriate content" feature.  

You've done a remarkable job pulling this all together. You're the best!

A Romantic Heart
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-03
Posts 5496
Forever In Your Heart
13 posted 2005-11-13 05:14 AM

Perfect Ron, you did an fantastic Job!

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
14 posted 2005-11-18 03:48 PM

quote:
* Every post in the forum, both originating and comments, will now include a new "Inappropriate Content?" icon in the upper right corner of the post. Our Moderating Team can't be everywhere, so we are going to be depending on ALL our Members to help report inappropriate content when it is posted. Clicking the icon will report that specific post, be it a poem or a comment, and give our Moderators a quicker heads-up than would otherwise be possible with our limited coverage.
Understanding that we 'knew' there would be an 'Inappropriate Content?' box, and how it would work ... but it does disturb some of us to see that box already checked in red, making it appear that the topic contains 'Inappropriate Content' ...~

I know that my daughter-in-law and her mother were most disturbed to see that icon next to poems I have written (especially the ones about Delaney and Landry)
They send the links on to other people, but both are now reluctant to do that~

I know you, Ron, you aren't the kinda guy to make grown women ... so, is it possible to find something a little more 'Appropriate' for the intended purpose ?
Thankee~
~*Marge*~

Marge Tindal
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
15 posted 2005-11-19 03:45 PM

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
16 posted 2005-11-19 04:29 PM

That ? is so much better, Ron....Thank you!!!  
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
17 posted 2005-11-19 06:52 PM

Yep, that's better

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Forum Software Update

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary