navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Another Small Happy Moment
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Another Small Happy Moment Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass

0 posted 2005-06-23 11:46 PM

A wonderful thing just happened!

This is about my friend Bob, the neighborhood storyteller who used to visit me long after he left the rest of us, waiting for his wife to join him....

Here's the basic story, which I can't tell nearly as well as Bob would.

Typical Bob, he was off limits looking for souvenirs on some little hell-hole island -- Kwajalein comes to mind but it could have been any of a dozen  -- when two half-starved Japanese soldiers who'd been hiding from capture jumped him -- one had that bayonet but instead of shooting them like a sensible Marine, Bob shot over their heads to make them stop, and disarmed them....

As he was marching them back to the base as prisoners, the one with the bayonet was balky, so Bob gigged him in the rear with his own bayonet, made him bleed....

He felt so badly about it later  that he went to what passed for a hospital and apologized. He told me the Japanese soldier was in tears over that, being shown kindness and humility by an enemy he'd tried to kill, and then having the enemy apologize for hurting him needlessly.....he'd been told that Americans ate their captives.

Bob's house has been empty for several months now, ever since Sophie died....and today there's a dumpster outside, with a man taking everything out of the garage.....such a sad, dismal procession.......he let my son Brian walk around, and I came back with Bri later, the guy not caring if I took things....I wanted one thing only, searched until I found that bayonet.  I can almost feel Bob's hand when I touch it....

He hasn't visited since Sophie came to join him, but I think he'll be happy that it will belong to someone who remembers him, and how he came to have it.

Here's a picture -- the little  insignia at the base of the blade is that of the Kokura arsenal, where it was made.

....and yes, I'm going to rehabilitate it, make it look like the cherished memory it is. I've always thought that Bob used it in that off-hand way because he still felt a little sting of shame over the incident, but I never asked.

© Copyright 2005 Ed Ratledge - All Rights Reserved
Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
1 posted 2005-06-24 12:07 PM

And -- right now there are two bottles of Heineken in my kitchen, that have spent something over an hour in a bowl of ice.....Two -- one for me, one for a dear, dear friend...since my friend can't help, I'll drink 'em both.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
2 posted 2005-06-24 12:10 PM

what a touching story...how wonderful that you now have it...I'm sure he'd be glad. If it was mine? I would want it to go to someone who cared...
Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
3 posted 2005-06-24 12:45 PM

very touching ED heart warming in fact....and what a bond you two must have shared!

I keep a fragrance bottle my
muse gave me when I met him
in endless winter and he
settled me into remembering
who I am.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2005-06-24 12:48 PM

Ed

"He hasn't visited since Sophie came to join him, but I think he'll be happy that it will belong to someone who remembers him, and how he came to have it."  I think he will be happy too....and about those Heineken, cheers!  

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2005-06-24 02:40 AM

Ratleader,
Memories and a friend with a good heart. It doesn't get much better than that. Bless you and thanks for sharing. I felt very rewarded for the opportunity to read of the experience.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
6 posted 2005-06-24 07:58 AM

Wonderful! the story and your mission to keep his memory intact.

M

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
7 posted 2005-06-24 04:03 PM

Even if Bob is so happy at being reunited with Sophie that he doesn't visit anymore... I'm betting that somewhere, he's smiling... and hoping you enjoy every sip of those Heinekens! *S*
I am so very glad you found the bayonet... for you know its history... and Bob couldn't have asked for a truer friend than you.
Thank you for this... a small happy moment happened here as I read the story and saw the picture... Sometimes... things do work out the way they should.

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
8 posted 2005-06-24 04:26 PM

What a wonderful warm hearted story Ed.
And...cheers!

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
9 posted 2005-06-26 12:21 PM

So glad I popped in tonight to read your story. Thank you for it. martyjo
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
10 posted 2005-06-26 01:11 AM

Good for you, Ed.....salutes to Bob!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Another Small Happy Moment

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary