navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Bec is in Japan
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bec is in Japan Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia

0 posted 2005-05-10 07:06 PM

Hi all

Well Bec has been in Japan for a month now and seems to be enjoying her self a great deal. We get weekly emails from her, from an internet cafe, as she doesn't have the net.

She has met some lovely people and seen a lot of the sights already. She doesn't think she will stay for more than a year though.

If anyone would like her email address please contact me and I will send it on.

Take care,
Dee

Stand straight and tall, not the reflection as others see you, but as you truely are.        Clearwater

© Copyright 2005 Dee Manders - All Rights Reserved
Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

1 posted 2005-05-10 07:19 PM

It must be so very exciting for her to be there. Let her know we wish her well!
skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
2 posted 2005-05-10 09:30 PM

I'd like to email Bec to tell her good luck! My email is facingthestorm@yahoo.com.

~sky

They way you live your life is up to you, but dying is NOT an option!!

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
3 posted 2005-07-03 12:48 PM

Ooh, you sneaky people!!
Yep, I'm in Japan, and it's great here! Lots of Japanese people trying to learn English with an Australian accent! Although whenever I ask them to guess where I'm from, the most common response is Canada, because they don't think I have an Australian accent! I think most people think Australians all sound like Steve Irwin!

I tried setting up a website so I could post updates, but it's pretty hard to do with limited access. At the moment I'm at a friend's place, and she has very graciously let me use her internet connection all evening!

I've seen some great places, like Nara, Kyoto and Kobe, and of course Osaka, since I live there. Nara is definitely my favourite. I have some sort of deep feeling of connection to that place, and I have no idea why, but I love it. Absolutely gorgeous. It's home to what I believe is one of the biggest cast Buddha statues in the world.

Anyhoo, for anyone that would like to join the mailing list of the Japan Times (I've just sent out edition 3), my email address is fugu_me_05@hotmail.com. Or I can ask Mum to post the text of my emails here. Either way, I hope to hear from some of you soon, that would be great!

Love, B xoxo

"I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell"~ Matchbox 20

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

4 posted 2005-07-03 04:54 PM

Sounds like you're having a great time Bec...

"I think most people think Australians all sound like Steve Irwin!"

Oh thank god we don't!!!

Enjoy the rest of your time there

Maree.

drove me like a magnet
to the sea

~stevie nicks~

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
5 posted 2005-07-03 06:18 PM

Well, the rainy season is finally upon us here! It's only a month late, but it's all good. I was talking to one of my students from Hokkaido the other day, and he told me it's normal to have a sunny spell in the middle, but that would mean that it had actually rained at some point! So it's absolutely bucketing down now. The weather varies so wildly here. It's consistently 30 degrees or more here, but students from Hokkaido say it's usually around 25 there. I find myself looking for my blanket when it gets under 30!

I had my short course training today. Which means that I am now qualified to make funny faces as I try to show students how their mouth should go when they're pronouncing words and teach them words from situations they'll never be in. I've also got a payrise, and I can level up students. After I get a handle on all that, I'm going to look at doing more training to teach kids.

I understand the last State of Origin is on this Wednesday? I've met a guy from the Gold Coast here, and he tells me there's a pub in Tennoji called Tin's Hall that plays the game on a big screen. So he's going to ditch work that day, and we've organised a whole heap of people to go see it. Got some Americans coming too, which is going to be interesting. I'm sure we'll spend most of the game explaining the rules!

Other than that, life goes on here. My only contact with the outside world is ninemsn, so if there's anything exciting happening at home, email me and tell me!! I know it's hard to keep in contact with me, but just so I know everyone is still alive!!

Talk to you all again soon.

Love, Bec xoxo

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
6 posted 2005-07-03 06:19 PM

Everything is still going well. Still having a few problems with my knee, but I think I'll survive. On Wednesday it will be three months since I arrived here, and I feel like a completely different person now. I'm really settling in well here, I'm liking Japan, but I think the job is certainly starting to wear me down a little. But I'm going to stick with it. I'm not going to be a quitter!

I'm well and truly off probation. I took my first short course today, which is a course of ten classes focusing on one aspect of speech - vocab, pronunciation, grammar and comp. So today I took an advanced grammar class - now I know what a qualifier is, and I'm "quite" impressed with myself! I was supposed to have two classes. but one of them was on the 14th floor, two floors below where I work now, so they were nice enough to change it for me.

A couple of friends and I are tossing around the idea of moving in together. Nothing definite at this stage, because I might have a few private students in Kita, but we'll see how it goes. Might me looking at Umeda, which is much closer to work. If I can learn the way, it's close enough to ride my bike, which would be good. I'm getting pretty good with my bike now, feel almost like a native! It's easier to try and run over other people rather than people trying to run over me! We're also hoping for cheaper rent. I'm paying 59000 yen in rent and utilities a month, so there's got to be something cheaper. We're hoping for a townhouse somewhere. A friend of mine has a great place in Tennoji, so we'd like something like that.

Hmmm, just trying to think if there's anything else important happen since a couple of days ago! I'm sure it wasn't that long since Edition 2. Can't think of anything, so I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Love, Bec xoxo

Stand straight and tall, not the reflection as others see you, but as you truely are.        Clearwater

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2005-07-03 11:02 PM

I would like to know even MORE details of you adventure, as I am considering doing something similar in a year or so, hoping to go to Kyushu. How many hours/weekly work and school? I thought maybe you had subsidized shared apts? Which program are you with? LOL, lots of Q's..any info you can send me is great(kacysara@msn.com)
HAVE FUN! kacy, midnitesun

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
8 posted 2005-07-06 03:46 AM

Kacy...

Check your email!

Bec

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
9 posted 2005-07-20 04:19 AM

Hi all,

The rain continues! The power actually went out during a storm, but it passed pretty quickly, and the power came back after a couple of minutes.

We've heard about all the happenings in London, a fair bit of it was broadcast in English. I don't know anyone in the city, but a couple of my friends here are waiting for emails from their friends.

As usual, there hasn't been any excitement here. It's my friend Skye's birthday next week, so Sally and I are planning a birthday surprise for her. After we give it to her, I'm not sure if she'll still want to be our friend though! I'm sure she'll forgive us...

My bedroom in my apartment is starting to look a little more lived-in, instead of just being a futon on the floor. I've put a couple of shelves up, lots of photos and stuff. Can't do much about the suitcases in the corner though. Look like I'm going to do a runner at any time!

Well, it's short and sweet, but I better get a wriggle on. I'll write to you all again soon.

Love, Bec xoxo

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
10 posted 2005-07-20 04:21 AM

Hi everyone!

Back at Sally's again, so I thought I would send off another email, and add another photo so you remember what I look like! This one is at a fete sort of thing at a temple near my friend Skye's apartment. I'm holding a "Next" bag, which is a UK chain store, and I bought shoes! I'm only a size 6.5 there!

Everything is still going well here, but surprise surprise, I think I'm coming down with another cold. Sneezing and coughing fits all day at work. I think I also swallowed some Listerine this morning, which didn't help much either.

We're hoping to go to Osaka Castle on Thursday, we keep meaning to go, but haven't got around to doing it yet. It's Skye's birthday on Monday, so we're going out Sunday night, so have to see how financial we all are after that!

Well, just another short one to touch base with everyone at home, I really don't have anything exciting to tell you about! Talk to you all again soon.

Love, Bec

(I don't know how to post the pics on here so if anyone would like to see them just email me.
Dee)

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
11 posted 2005-07-31 10:14 PM

Japan Times 7

Hi everyone!

All is still going well here. I'm going to my flatmate's sayonara party tomorrow night, and I'll be meeting my new private students for the first time. I'll be teaching six kids, which is going to be interesting. Anyone have any ideas on how to teach English to kids who may not even have a handle on their own language??

There was an 4.5 earthquake in Tokyo a couple of days ago. My student was in Sendai, so I didn't have any problems, but there were other teachers who were in the middle of a lesson with students in Tokyo, Chiba, Saitama, etc. I could hear all these teachers around me saying, "Oh, are you ok?" and I had no idea what was going on until I asked my friend next to me what happened. Apparently some teachers near the windows at work could see the blinds moving, but that was about the only way it was registered in Osaka! I might have felt something, but I might have just thought it was the tech staff running past my booth.

The tech staff are actually quite funny. If you have any problems with your computer, you click on the tech help button, which sets off an alarm in the tech office. Then one of them come running over in their suit and slippers, and you have to try and tell them what's wrong without interrupting the lesson. It's made even more interesting when you get one who doesn't speak much English! I've taken to writing notes if I can't point to the problem. That way if they don't understand me, they can ask someone else!

Both my flatmates are leaving next month, Kim on the 15th, Kirsten on the 23rd. So I'll be on my own again for a little while. I was going to have an Italian instructor move in, but I got another note saying they'd put her somewhere else.

Well, I'd better get going. Talk to you all again soon.

Love, Bec

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
12 posted 2005-07-31 10:15 PM

The Japan Times - edition 7? or 8? I've completely lost track!

Hi everyone!

Just a quickie to let you know I'm still alive.

Nothing much happening here. I've got some private students now, but I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. I have eight of them! Seven children and one adult. Going to see if I can get rid of some, because it's just too much.

Only one more month of this disgusting heat. But apparently August is the worst! So I just spend a lot of time in the aircon reading my katakana book! Katakana is going well, and I'm learning quite quickly. I'm still very slow, and have to sound the words out, but I'm learning. I'm very impressed that I'm picking it up so quickly!

My friend Sally and I went shopping in Daimaru the other day. I'm determined to get something from Daimaru and Takashimaya, because they're two of the biggest department stores in Japan!

Well, better get going. Talk to you again later.

Love, Bec

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
13 posted 2005-08-19 06:56 AM

Hi all...

Just a quick one in case any of you were wondering... I'm still in one piece after the earthquake. We did feel tremors in Osaka, but nothing serious. Just made me feel a bit sick, because I work on the 16th floor!

Bec

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
14 posted 2005-08-22 03:44 PM

This is interesting to me. I would love to see pics.
I hope all is well with you. You can look down at the bottom
of the post box and it tells you how to post pics.
You use HTML.........

"Inserting pictures and icons in your message

If a graphic exists on the Internet, you can use an HTML tag to include it in your message. Unlike the other HTML tags we've been using, the image tag is not a container tag - that is to say, it doesn't have a "start here" and then an "end here" format. You simply put it in and it loads the picture exactly where you tell it to do so. In its simplest form, the tag looks like this:

< img src="http://url.com/image.gif" >

The first part of this line, the "img" is the actual tag (it stands for image, of course). The second part, the "src=" tells the web browser where to find the image. The location of the image that follows the equals sign HAS TO BE in quotation marks. It should include the full URL of the image."

By the way, I put spaces behind and in front of the two brackets above,
because it showed an "X" instead of the HTML code.
I hope this helps.
Hugs,
Ethel

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
15 posted 2005-08-22 07:45 PM

The Japan Times - Edition 9

Hi everyone!

Once again, I'm at Sally's.

We're going back to Nara after work tomorrow. There's some festival happening there, and I'll take any excuse to go back! We're off to Kyoto on Tuesday for another festival to send off the dead. Sounds morbid, I know, but the Lonely Planet Guide says it's great.

We watched some fireworks tonight. I took some really awful photos on my mobile, and some dodgy film, so I'll have to see how they turned out. There are a lot of summer festivals happening, so lots of women out in their yukata. I bought one for myself the other day, just have to work out how to wear it. It's like a cotton kimono, but only one layer. Sort of like a dressing gown, in a way, I guess.

The sayonara party went well. Had a couple of friends stay for what was left of the morning. And you know you've had a good party when there's been a formal complaint lodged! But it was a great send-off for my flatmates, and we had heaps of fun. This one is going to be talked about at work for a very long time! A lot of drinking and dancing mostly. And thank goodness the convenience stores here sell alcohol! My friend Brad and I walked down to Lawson, which is about 200m from my apartment, to get a bottle of scotch. In true Aussie form, I was barefoot!

Well, I'd better get going. Talk to you all again soon.

Love, Bec

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
16 posted 2005-08-22 07:46 PM

Ethel, if you would like to email me, via the email link, I would be happy to send you the pics. They aren't uploaded to the net so I can't put them here that way.

Dee

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
17 posted 2005-08-22 07:48 PM

The Japan Times - edition 10

Kombanwa! Into double figures now!

Everything is still going well here. It's been raining, so it's not so hot any more.

My flatmates are both leaving and I'll have two more, all by the end of the month. I'm really going to miss them! So I'm getting a Kiwi and an Italian instead.

Just got a call from work, I'm going in for one lesson overtime. Sounds like more effort than it's worth, but I took four lessons off a few days ago, and I get paid time and a quarter for overtime. Terrible rates, I know, but this will be my third overtime lesson this week. Still doesn't make it all up, but it's better than a poke in the eye.

I'm going to go to Kyoto with some friends after work on Tuesday, and we've all got our yukata to wear now, so we're going to look pretty silly on the train, but it's all good fun. I'll send photos. We were going to go to Nara tonight, but the rain kinda ruined that idea.

A few of us are interested in going to see Universal Studios, which I'm really looking forward to. Not sure when, just have to wait until we're all financial at the same time!

Well, just a quick one, but I have to get myself organised to go back to work.

Love, Bec

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
18 posted 2005-08-22 07:49 PM

The Japan Times - Edition 11 - The Earthquake Edition!

Hi everyone!

I know I called/texted some of you already to tell you I'm still in one piece after the earthquake. It was actually quite strange. It was about 40-ish kilometres off the coast of Tokyo, and measured 7.2, although apparently Japan has a different scale of measuring things, so I'm yet to find out if that's Japanese or Richter. I was teaching my 11.40am lesson, minding my own business, when one of my students starts saying, "oh, oh, earthquake!" All three of my students were in or near Tokyo, so I checked that they were all okay, then kept going with the lesson. A couple of minutes later I started feeling really sick and light headed. It was so bad that I had to hang onto the desk. I had no idea what was wrong, then I realised that the door next to me was squeaking, which it never does. So we were getting tremors as well! My first earthquake experience. My flatmate was home at the time, and we live on the second floor, so she didn't notice, but I teach on the 16th floor, so we really noticed it! There was a tsunami warning issued for Miyagi, but when the wave actually came in, it was about 10cm high. We get bigger surf than that! Actually, anywhere gets bigger surf than that.

Other than that, all is going well still. I went to Kyoto on Tuesday after work to see Daimon-ji, which is a festival where they burn Chinese characters into the sides of the mountains to farewell the dead or something. I spent most of the time trying to track down all my friends, because Dave and I arrived well after everyone else! We didn't end up wearing the yukata, because I didn't have time to get changed after work, and I can't tie the obi by myself!

I will be having kids' training soon, which is going to be interesting. A friend of mine was supposed to have his yesterday, but he's doing everything he can to get out of it! Not sure that it's going to work, though. Apparently they can't keep up with the demands for kids' lessons, so training is no longer optional. I'm going to ditch all my private students, it's just far too hard, and too much hassle.

Well, I'd better get going. I have a chai Haagen Dazs waiting for me...

Love, Bec

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Bec is in Japan

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary