navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Goodbye pipTalk.
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Goodbye pipTalk. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
EvocativeVerse2
since 2003-09-10
Posts 1279

0 posted 2005-05-05 06:43 AM

Hey everyone...good-bye. It's been a blast.

[This message has been edited by EvocativeVerse2 (05-06-2005 06:30 AM).]

© Copyright 2005 Kevin R. Middleton - All Rights Reserved
A Romantic Heart
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-03
Posts 5496
Forever In Your Heart
1 posted 2005-05-05 07:15 AM

Goodmorning Kevin...

This work of art is certainly my favorite poem (sonnets) from you...going back to read it again. Stunning work! you are a master of poetry!

~ARH

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments; love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
2 posted 2005-05-05 08:19 AM

Kevin, stand up and take a bow! ~ No, stand up and take 4 bows! Stellar writing! Each sonnet was a gem unto itself! You quadrupled my pleasure when I clicked on "Sonnets".

Your talent astounds, amazes, ~ and delights this reader!

Hugs with love,
Linda
Flowers

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

3 posted 2005-05-05 08:22 AM

outstanding, every single sentence drives a picture home...am totally in agreement with Romantic Heart...loved this
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
4 posted 2005-05-05 08:30 AM

EvocativeVerse2
One of your finer works, enjoyed.

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
5 posted 2005-05-05 08:42 AM

First of all, if you're trying sonnets, you ought to learn more about iambic pentameter.  Nan's got some helpful guides in the workshop.  Here's one about sonnets in particular:  /pip/Forum22/HTML/000042.html

I also have to criticize your use of "Thou."  Believe me, I'm a sympathizer, and use archaic language myself quite often (less often than I used to, I have to admit).  "Thou" and "Thee" are the subjective and objective tenses of the word, and aren't interchangable.  Think of their differences as being the same as "He" and "Him," or "I" and "Me."  "Thee" will always go where you would say "Me", & vica versa.  

If you're going to use it, you should also be consistent and realize the difference between "Thou" and "You."  Even when "Thou" was a commonplace word in the English language, "You" was used for the second-person plural.  The two later became different ways of referring to the singular person, "You" being more reverent in nature and "Thou" more familial.

Also, verbs following "Thou" are conjugated with "est."  So, "thou should" should read "thou shouldest" unless it is in the subjunctive ("if thou should read these lines, know I am sad," or something like that, as compared with "thou oughtest to compare my lines to thine").

One thing I think you've done right is the solitary aspect of the sonnet, which is one of its primary concern.  These accomplish that atmosphere of loneliness very well, despite their conversational nature.  The next time you write a sonnet, though, I think you should attempt them in a more conventional meter.

Thanks

Brian

"God becomes as we are that we may be as he is."  ~William Blake

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (05-06-2005 09:55 PM).]

ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
6 posted 2005-05-06 04:43 PM

Holding your place at the top Kevin.
TD

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
7 posted 2005-05-06 05:24 PM

Whoa, there, Sir Poet!!! Please don't leave us! I get my thee's and thou's, thines and thy's screwed up all the time! What the hay!

I, as well as most of your avid readers and fans, wouldn't know one from the other! You write so beautifully, so magically! I love your poetry, Kevin! I truly do! On bended knee I beseech thee? ~ thou? ~ to remain with your kindred spirits. Read your other replies and know that you are a well-respected and loved poet, my friend!

We poets tend to have more delicate constitutions at times because we tend to have sensitive natures. ~ That is a double-edged sword! It enables us to feel and see and emote and write... But it also can leave us vulnerable.

When I first joined PiP, one of the poets (who no longer is at PiP! ~ but I am! lol) called me a "friggin wierdo" and didn't want me replying to her poetry!

Well, I felt like burying my head in a cloud ( ) and leaving PiP ~ but I loved the new friends that I had made and I also enjoyed reading the responses (well, most of them!) to my poems. I stuck it out and have written going on 1,000 poems since then! ~ and believe me, they would not have gotten written if I had left PiP!

Kevin, please reconsider!

Love,
One of your many fans!
Linda

P. S. ~ I actually found Local Parasite's explanations helpful for me. I'll keep trying until I get it right! ~ but don't hold your breath! lol

[This message has been edited by Earth Angel (05-06-2005 06:06 PM).]

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
8 posted 2005-05-06 05:27 PM

Kev,  you have been enjoyed,  a definite
asset to PiP...God Speed...

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
9 posted 2005-05-06 06:00 PM

damn
I didn't even get to read the poem!

I guess that's what I get for working nights and sleeping afternoons.

Kevin, whatever the issue is, I'm sure it can be resolved, if only within yourself. There have been many disputes involving me within the past five years here...many times I could have been kicked off the site...many times I felt like leaving of my own accord...

please don't go until you give it a fair shot

I have always enjoyed your writings. If you do decide to keep your mind made up, then at least email your poems to me when you write them. Will you?

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
10 posted 2005-05-06 06:19 PM

Kevin,

I did not intend any hard feelings.  I simply misinterpreted your "encourages constructive critiques" message.  If you do not care to receive this kind of attention, instead of leaving piptalk, you could possibly make your critique message more specific instead.  You're obviously quite popular here.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
11 posted 2005-05-06 07:40 PM

Kevin, if you leave, it will be a sad thing for many. Your work and your replies are much enjoyed.

I agree with LP here. Maybe you should change your critique message. "The truth" is asking a bit much from people who can only have opinions.

Please consider staying.

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
12 posted 2005-05-06 09:02 PM

EV2..Brian is a sweet guy and was trying to help. He is awesome, as are you. I hope you are ok...
and for the record? This is exactly why I stay away from anything having thees and thous in them....I read Brian's explanation of using them, and oiy! I didn't get it even after that....LOL
I hope you stick around

OpethMike
Unregistered
Posts 4

13 posted 2005-05-07 12:43 PM

I've always found these types of threads to be full of one's own self.

If one is going to leave, just leave, don't tell the populace... unless one doesn't really plan on leaving, but just wants attention.

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
14 posted 2005-05-07 03:20 AM

Mike,

This was originally a post in Open whose text was changed to its current form.  It was the choice of the moderators to move it to this forum, and I don't think it's some desparate cry for attention on the author's part, but just something he expected to sink under the weight of Open Poetry.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Goodbye pipTalk.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary