navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Dick Proenneke's "Alone in the Wilderness"
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dick Proenneke's "Alone in the Wilderness" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

0 posted 2005-03-09 09:47 AM

Hello there,

Couldn't sleep last evening, cold...ugh
so I turned on the TV and happened upon this awesome and incredible true story of this man's journal and pictures....unfortunately, I fell asleep with half the show yet to go...
I can tell you, this would have held my attention, all the way through, if it wouldn't have been for this darned cold.  

He cut out every piece of wood with nothing but hand tools....his cabin, hinges, tools, even a spoon, really neat stuff...scenery was magnificant and the wildlife he photographed was awesome...and by the way, no housecats there...hehehehe

wanted to share with anyone who might enjoy these types of stories
http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html
http://www.nps.gov/lacl/scrapbook/proeneke.htm

© Copyright 2005 Lee J. - All Rights Reserved
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
1 posted 2005-03-09 10:01 AM

Thanks for sharing this with us Lee. My husband loves this kind of true adventure. I swear...if he had his way we would be living in some log cabin in the wilderness. You know, that actually sounds kind of romantic.    hugs, Chris
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

2 posted 2005-03-09 10:04 AM

boy, would I love to do this...I mean it, I could...someplace far away from people, noise, etc...fish & hunt for your meals, planting only what you need...yes, it's a hard life, but inevidably much healthier...

When my son was young we'd camp every single weekend...deep in the forest on a fire line in upstate PA....what a joy those times were, fishing, the quiet of the twilight, except for a  whipper-will, or an occassional animal coming close to camp...once we had a curious bear come in...while we were sleeping, it woke us up, and we did take precaution so as not to draw wildlife, but he must have smelled supper.  

Incredible life...and not so difficult once you acclimate...

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
3 posted 2005-03-09 01:47 PM

I saw this and it made me think of my dad.  My parents homesteaded in northern Canada in the 20's and my dad had to do everything by hand. It was a tremendous effort and I didn't appreciate what went into it until I was older.

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Dick Proenneke's "Alone in the Wilderness"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary